1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my Panny Viera (Continued)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GazTheHat, Jul 19, 2005.

1. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi All,

Just after some advice on what kinda problem i'm lOOking at with our Viera. About 3 months ago i posted that i'd lost ITV2, C4 and Five. I'd got no replies and just put it down to something simple, like the aerial, being a bog-standard £25 jobbie, and would save some pennies for a better one.

We turned the TV on this morning and now we only have C4, but it's on channel 1. Skip up or down a channel, nothing happens. It stays on C4. I can't even access DVB setup to return the channels. The Setup menu appears OK, choose DVB setup, the "re-tune" warning comes up, then nothing, no re-tuning and the menu goes. Tried several times, nothing.

Anyone experienced similar, or could give any advice? Time to contact Panasonic or the seller? I've had it 8 months.

2. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well, here's the latest. I contacted the Aerial guy, who once heard the problems, said he was 99% sure it was a freeview issue. But would charge to come lOOk at the aerial (which is under warranty), great :thumbsdow

So i contacted Panasonic and the local repair shop came to collect. They tested it and said it was fine. They got all the channels OK. Once it was hooked up the their poorer aerial loop, it lost the same channels as us. So i was told to get a broadband aerial or something, for a better signal. Anyone recommend any?

PS. Oh, and the w@nkers knocked the egg off the wall twice and snapped the self-tightening thread on the centre speaker whilst trying to take it away. :mad: How two guys were not able to unhook it and take it away, when i managed on my own. Muppets!

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Hmm.

Have you tried a re-tune to see if you get back your Freeview channels?

It is worth knowing that there are six Freeview "multiplexes" - which are broadcast on six frequencies, so if you have marginal reception of a mux, you lose a whole bunch of channels.

The sub-division is something like this :
    Mux 1 - BBC One, Two, Three/CBBC, BBC News 24 (+ 2 radio services outside England)

Mux 2 - ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV News channel, Channel 4, E4, Big Brother Interactive (aka 705), TopUpTV

Mux A - Five, QVC, Bid TV, ABC1, TopUpTV, BBC Radio (1-4), S4C and S4C2 in Wales. (Not all other services are present in Wales - or are reduced hours in Wales)

Mux B - BBC Four/CBeebies, BBCi video 701,702/Community Channel, BBC Parliament, BBC News Interactive, BBC Radio (1X, 5L, 5LSX, 6M, 7, AN)

Mux C - Sky Travel, UKTV History, Sky News, Sky Sports News, E4+1

Mux D - UKTV Bright Ideas/ftn, The Hits, TMF, Ideal World, Men and Motors, BBC World Service Radio, Commercial radio.

If you lose all the services in a given mux, or multiple muxes, then this is likely to be a reception/aerial issue. If you lose some in a mux, but have others, then it is likely to be something else...

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not so convinced its an aerial problem,my panny pe30 has been losing freeview for about a week.

Its specific to that tv, the other rooms are fine.

If i switch it off then back on it regains the channels.

I wonder if its a firmware problem?

5. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, several times, when i re-tune if a channel had a bad-signal, it doesn't retune and you lose it completely, which has happened again.

By what you've said, it lOOks like Mux 2 is out, as the channels we've lost are: ITV1, ITV2 & C4. But don't you think it's weird how we had them, perfectly OK for 5-6 months... :confused:

The aerial guy wants £35 to come out and check/tweak it. Which i think is a bit much, especially if he says the aerial is OK and the problem is not fixed.

We don't have another Digital (or analogue) TV in the house, so can't test if it's the TV either.

Part of me thinks, f-it! Get one of these broadband aerials anyway. Then if that doesn't fix it, send it back for repair, as that was the aerial they recommended would fix it. BUT....Would prefer to pay the £35 and get it fixed though, as that's gotta be cheaper than one of these fancy aerials. Predicaments!! :(

6. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm not convinced either, nor was the aerial guy. Firmware?!? What's the best way to go about sorting that? I have done one of those (firmware) upgrades?!? when you turn on to BBC1 on a particular day, given on:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

7. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    wickes sell a very good wide band arial with everything you need for £27

Azz