1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my Pan TX28PS1

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by funkyd, Jul 2, 2003.

1. funkyd

funkyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought it and have a few problems.....

When viewing 4:3 progs the left and right hand sides of the picture are not 100% vertical - they seem to be slightly bowed.
    The menu also looks slightly wonky when looking at it!

When using the S-video socket I have to press the AV button twice to get a colour picture. Also the image (from my N64) seems to jump up and down - not the full height of the picture but more than enough for it to be noticable.

Are either of these actual potential 'faults' or is it just the nature of the set?

Is there a service menu I can make some adjustments myself or is that tempting fate? What are my chances of getting an engineer or replacement?

Cheers

Update: Done some research and found the service menu. Loaded my Ultimate test disc and noticed the geometry is totally screwed! The picture actually drops down on the right hand side by about 2-3cm - but I cant see how to fix this - any ideas?

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Go to service menu, write down all the settings u can find, in case u mess up, then play with various functions.

then u look on the service menu post above as it has a link to explain what the settings mean.

gb--

3. JER101

JER101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The AV2/3 inputs are dual standard comp/s-video. you have to press twice to get the s-video. This shouldn't then be a problem as the set remebers the last av input selected. (well my pl1 does!)

Are you saying the horizontals tilt, or the corner droops? If it's just tilted then you correct using the Geomagnetic correcting.

4. Steve Church

Steve Church

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Panasonic TX32PS12 (in fact my second one) and this also has similar non vertical edges in anything other than widescreen mode. The nature of the distortion seems to vary depending on the picture content..

Whats this 'service menu' option. What does it do and how do I access it?

Steve

5. JER101

JER101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you not sure what it does do you think you should be messing with it?

I studied the thread on this forum about the PL1 before getting one cheap now they have been superceded by the PS series. Many people reported problems with the geometry, and one person kindly included how to access the service menu. I suggest you search for pl1 references.

I also have spent time correcting the geometry. It is possible to find a good setup for both 4:3, and widescreen, but it takes time.
    The pin cushion currection, called EW-amp1 and EW-amp2 (amp? could be another acronym), has two settings. The first corrects the whole image, the second just the outer left and right extremities. The right combination of these settings will produce a good setting for both 4:3 and 16:3. The wrong combination will work for 16:3 and produce curved images in 4:3, or vice versa.

You will need some form of test grid. The THX test found on some DVD's (Star Wars/Xmen) is free.

6. funkyd

funkyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I adjust the tilt? There doesn't seem to be an option for this. My picture drops left to right by about a centimetre.

Also I notice that when viewing the THX test picture the vertical lines seem to have some distortion on the left and right. The lines are straight except for this little wiggle that appears.

Is this a fault or just a 'feature' that I will have to endure?

Cheers

7. JER101

JER101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The correction on my PL1 for the tilt is the "geomagnetic correction". It's found using the F button under the front flap.

Are you looking at the THX grid with the service menu displayed?
    This causes a bulge across the center of the screen when I use it.
    The THX grid is OK without it on my set.

8. funkyd

funkyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for - can't believe I didn't find it sooner!!! Cheers :clap:

When using the THX video tests, should I be adjusting my set in 4:3 mode first and then 16:9? If so, how do I get the TV to go into 4:3 mode because it seems to switch into 16:9 whenever I go into the service menu.

When you are configuring the test pictures with the rectangles and circles, how far to the edges of the screen should the rectangles be?

Can anyone tell me what the first option on the service menu is

TV >> Ext
    Ext>> TV
    TV/AV to program

I can't see what these are for - except for the 'TV/AV to program' option which seems to flick through the scarts - I imagine to allow you to select a test source as you might have many to use?

It seems to make no difference to the settings as to whether I choose TV >> Ext ot Ext >> TV - I'm lost! lol

9. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thinking of getting this set myself.

I had a Panasonic 28DK1 and that used to suffer from really bad vertical bending when the picture was bright or had a high contrast. If you set the TV to 4:3 mode you could actually see the left and right sides of the screen bending in and out.

Have Panasonic corrected this issue with the PS1 series ?.

10. rcmacc

rcmacc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently bought the PS12 from JL - with the contrast set at 50% the geometery was spot on. But the 'shop' setting was about 80% so the picture looked rather curved vertically.
    I wasn't impressed by the sets regulation - with any bright image on the screen the image changed postion radically.
    I believe the PS12 uses a different chassis to the ps1 though.

Rob