1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my HCPC, need help with new setup...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by janmars, Sep 20, 2004.

1. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Currently I have an old 1ghz AMD processor running with 256mb and an ATI 9200SE for use as a HCPC. Whilst a fairly low spec it seems to handle what it does fairly well. However lately I have been getting a lot of problems with it...so am considering using a new software setup.

This is what I am using at the moment: myHTPC with ZoomPlayer Pro. The video files are hosted on another PC. The HTPC has a 54mbit wireless card, and pulls the video files across the network.

With this setup though, lately I am getting long delays before the video files begin, and pausing during play back. All in all it isn't much good.

So this is what I am thinking.

1) Getting new HTPC software, (I would like to keep ZoomPlayer though, unless there is an equivilent player out there).

2) I need an application on the PC upstairs that can serve the video files to the HTPC. As it currently stands, the HTPC merely access the other PC via a network mapped drive...this seems to be making things very slow.

3) I am using Windows XP Pro. Can I somehow do a limited installation so that it boots faster and has none of the unnecessary junk.

4) Any other suggestions you guys have...

2. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your bottle neck will be the network. Consider getting 2 100mb lan cards (£10-15 each) and hardwire between with cross over cable.

3. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is that much bandwidth really needed just for divX files and the like? I am not using DVD's at all...

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I abandoned WiFi for similar reasons, though I view mainly DVDs so the bandwidth needs are higher.

For (3) you may want to look at nLite to create a cut-down XP installation CD, perhaps fine-tuning it by manually disabling some services which nLite can't remove.

IMHO ZP isn't bettered by any other general-purpose player, if only it handled .TS files like VLC it'd be perfect.

5. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks.

Changed the WiFi for a 100mbit ethernet card...but oddly still seem to be getting the same problems.

Oh, and that nlite is a neat program..