Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Problems with my DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by blurr, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blurr

blurr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recently purchased a DVD player from http://www.buyyourav.com/. Arrived today, the box was damaged as shown below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I saw the courier man walk up the driveway, I actually saw him drop the thing from waist height. So anyway when he got to the door, I opened it up and checked the item before signing for it, no scratches and dents... but I didn't actually plug it in to see if it works. Anyway booted it up tried a few DVD's all of a sudden I start noticing that the picture has a slight flicker... great. Also its not Multiregional, as stated on the website. So rang them up, complained about the condition it arrived in, the guy on the end said that, I shouldn't have signed for it. Okay fair enough but I did check the item and there was no superficial damage on it, so how am I suppose to know that the courier dropping it, as a result has caused the fault. I understand delivery drivers are on a tight schedule so didn't really want to waste his time asking him to hang around while I plug it in and test it. Which is my mistake as I guess I shouldn't have signed for it...

Anyway the guy was like okay we'll come and collect it, test it and if we find a fault we'll send you a new one. If we don't, we'll send you the old one back

I also mentioned that it wasn't Multiregional, the guy was like, okay thats fine we'll send you a CD out to make it multiregional, as its a new unit and all, we haven't yet received the software. He then said that someone should have contacted me when I had put the order in and let me know, but they hadn't. He then proceeded to say that I have to ring back tomorrow, costing me more money, and speak to another guy about it, so it could be shipped to me. Why can't he just do it there and then and take my details down? or surely they have my details on the database somewhere?

The thing which got me was, the absolute ignorant attitude of this guy, he basically implied, with not so many words, I was dumb for signing for the item in the first place. My point to him was; did you expect me to plug it in to see if it works? I also mentioned that surely its their responsibility for them to assure that I receive the item in reasonable condition. As a result of this I demanded a refund, as on top of the fact that the item I had received isn't fully functional and is not how they advertised - which is multiregional. I made a point that it should be multiregional straight out of the box when I receive it, and that I shouldn't have to wait a week or two for a cd to make it Multiregional. I know I can download DVDhacks from the net, but thats not the point.

He was like, ok as long as you send the item back to us we'll refund you. So again costing me more money for the postage to send it back to them. I then questioned whether or not if he thought that was good customer service or not? He said yes. I then said, surely out of a kind gesture you'd offer a collection anyway considering the trouble I've been through and hassle. His response was "not my problem" and then went on to imply, that I had caused the fault and that I had purposely sabotaged the goods as I said the word 'gesture'. Also he mentioned that it costs them £30 for a collection to be made. (At this point I should've then went on to say that, okay would you prefer a £30 loss? or potentionally losing out on hundred pounds of other sales if word of mouth spread about how bad their customer service is.)

I just don't know what to do, an arrangement for it to be picked up on Friday to be sent back to them for fault testing. To be fair I just really want a refund from them and just be done with them and instead order the same thing from Pixmania.com - whom I know package things up well and of which I'm sure as hell don't treat their customers as badly as Buyyourav.com !

2. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    No need to buy from them, jsut price amtch with them :rotfl: :D

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    With it arriving in packaging as damaged as that I don't think I would have even entertained signing for it. I would have sent it straight back and got them to send a new one out and claim the loss off the courier. I doubt they sent it out like that very much.

Easier said than done when a new toy arrives though :(

4. blurr

blurr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair doos. I accept that. But its their responsibiltiy for the condition it arrives in. Surely they should've put a note on the box saying handle with care. I did check the item when I received it, the DVD player itself and there were no scratches or dents etc. So I presumed it would be in fully working condition. So signed for it.

My main gripe is; the general attitude of the guy I spoke to, the way he was accusing me of such things - I did keep my calm and didn't swear nor raise my tone... and the fact that its not multiregional straight from the box - selling an item which is not advertised as.

5. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Anyway, as the player is defective (flickering), not as described (multiregion) and damaged (box) - then Buyyourav have to not only offer you a full refund, but organise and pay for collection also. :) I hope you have great pleasure at quoting the DTI regulations at them :D

6. blurr

blurr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers superpixel. DTI regulations? where can I find out more information about that.

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Yep, there is nothing worse than a confrontational person on the other end of the phone when all you want is help. Hope it gets sorted out for you ok.

8. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your troubles mate, I know exactly what its like, been there myself.

Another one to stay clear of hificonfidential.com. Although their prices are ok, their attitude stinks. I ordered a DVD player from them - a Marantz model which I didnt ask for multiregion. I phones them a few days later asking where it was, and they explained that when they took it apart :eek: to multiregion it :eek: they discovered it was broken! Why didnt they ring me instead of me ringing them?!?!? I didnt even want multiregion - It also took me 2 phone calls and a full week to get my refund.

Stay away from hificonfidential

9. splash39

splash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had no problems with buyyourav.com. I think one bad experience doesn't mean anything. I had a 46 inch DLP TV delivered with no problems and if the box had been in the condition of your one and had also witnessed it being dropped, then i would not have signed for it fullstop.

10. blurr

blurr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course you haven't. But how do you know you wouldn't have been treated the same if the same thing had happened to you? Or under different circumstances where you had to contact their 'customer' support line. If things had panned out differently, ie. the guy wasn't so rude, and actually the company had some decent customer service, it would have never come to this. The fact of the matter is, their customer service is extremely poor. Like I keep saying the DVD player is not how they advertised it to be, its not multiregional, why advertise as it is? if it isn't. If I knew they were going to send a CD before hand at a later date, then I wouldn't have ordered from them, simple as that. I want it working straight out of the box, is that too much to ask? Perhaps try reading my posts before replying eh?

11. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well said!

Splash, please read posts before commenting. Obviously the main issue was the poor customer support. You can't class a company as 'good customer service' just because your parcel arrived and the unit works - customer service has not actually come into it.

For me, the main factor of a good company is customer service. Its a shame there are so many companies that want nothing to do with their customers as soon as they've got their hard earned!

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,328
    His attitude wasn't ignorant.
    You WERE absolutely dumb for signing for it! Specially in the condition it was in!!!
    As far as I can tell BuyYourAV have acted perfectly reasonably.
    I've edited your thread title to make it legal and I am closing the thread so BuyYourAV can respond if they want before there are any more pointless bandwaggon-jumping replies. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.