1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems With MCE2005

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by windfall, Apr 3, 2005.

1. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi All

I have been running with this for a few days now and I have noticed a few problems that revolve around the TV usage.
    I purchased a WinTV Nova T MCE compliant card. My Video Card is a GeForce 4 4200Ti golden sample - but it is not over clocked at the moment.

I get a couple of problems
    1. the cursor selector becomes "text" instead of a green button
    2. The TV freezes so I see on screen a pic of the last image but behind that the MCE installation has hung.
    3. If I put the machaine into standby it comes back up but the display is no good and doesnt actually display anything.

I am using an old P4 1.7 Ghz with a gig of rambus. The disks are IBM 120GB and 160GB.

I am using the latest Nvidia Drivers from the Nvidia site.

I recorded some programs successfully and playback is good, EPG works etc - the machine is a bit loud but I will deal with that accordingly. Otherwise I am impressed apart from the elongated use. The remote works a treat (mce).

One other thing is how do I add more music to my library and how do you force MCE to download Album info? Sometimes it does it and sometimes it does not.

I hope this is not too much to ask - and appreciate any time offered in your responses.

Cheers for now

Tone

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes... MCE is a challenging little B****, but once it is stable it is worth the effort!

The problems sound like they are connected to tv and video card and drivers. Your graphics card is not on the supported hardware list, but that does not mean that it is definitely your problem. If you fancy spending a bit more a cheap fanless FX5200 is definitely supported and would be good for testing. Also, some people have reported problems with the latest Nvidia drivers, so you could try the earlier versions (66.93) and also try different driver versions for your tv card. The DVD codecs are important too, but as far as I am aware the latest Nvidia DVD codec is very stable, I am using it and not having problems.

As for music, I think you can add files/folders by pressing the 'i' button when in 'My Music'. MCE takes playlists from Windows Media Player, so I set all my playlists up in there and MCE just uses them.

hope this helps a bit!
    lisa

3. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have done some checking and have brought the WinTV and Nvidia drivers up to date and downloaded the rollup package from Windows Update and now the remote does not work and the TV card cannot receive any stations!

I've kind of had enough now.

Lisa - I am loathed to change the graphics card but if I do what 5200 card would you recommend?

The other thing I am now thinking is to move the Media Ctr PC to my New Dell but I will struggle fitting my TV card into it as the graphics (gigabyte 6600GT fanless) is a fat bugger and takes up the extra slot!

Bugger and bugger!

Oh Lisa one other thing - can you post the link to the MCE compatible hardware again? Please?

Cheers for your help.

Tone

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    :eek: Oh no.. hate it when that happens, :( I think you have to re run the tv settings in MCE when you change the tv card drivers, and the remote might just need disconnecting and re-connecting (I hope!)

I have the Inno3D FX5200 AGP 128mb, works fine in MCE, is fanless and about £30-£40 I think. In the process of upgrading to the Fanless Gigabyte 6600gt, should arrive tmrw I hope!

I suspect I will have this problem in my shuttle so I have just got an external USB2 tv tuner (DVB-T MCE compatible).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/dfw/partnerlisting.mspx

S'alright :smashin:

lisa

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I am at a cross roads with this now.

I am thinking of maybe moving my MCE to my new dell box, which a) is very quite. b)powerfull c)lots of disk space. BUT with the new Gigabyte graphics card have lost the only PCI slot unless I get an external sound card or external TV card. Its all so annoying innit!

Then I can just do away with the other machine!

Does anyone know - is MCE based on XP Home or Pro? Can you add a MCE installation to a domain?

Lisa thanks for the list.

I will "favourite" it!

Off to have a think!

Tone

6. zentek

zentek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MCE is based on the HOME Edition.

No You cant add it to a domain.

The answer to your freeze ups, screen problems are due to the new nvidia drivers. Just use the previous version they work fine http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93.html , mce uses windows media player anything you do there will be picked up in the mce interface.

7. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It is based on Pro and you can add it to a domain, but only at the network install that occurs when installing the OS. Ive done this a few times and there have been no issues running under a domain. To be able to setup with a domain at that point your network card must be supported by the base OA and not require a driver disk.

John

8. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    John - that will explain why the switch box to the domain/workgroup is unavailable so thanks for clearing that up!

I think I will be re-installing the whole lot at some point so I can add the installation to my domain at home.

Zentek - thanks for posting the link - I am downloading the drivers now and will implement them in the morning.

Basically I have noticed that after an hour I lose media center. I have switched that off and will leave the actual PC running for a while and see if that causes the PC to hang.

One other thing is that I have a setting in my BIOS that relates to the ACPI settings. I am finding that after going inot standby the PC doesnt come up properly, whilst the setting is in S3. The other option is S1. Does anyone know what the setting should be?

I have got the tuner and MCE remote working again! So thats one thing sorted out!

LISA - what USB Freeview Card did you get? Is it the USB2 Nova T?

I was reading this months PC Pro and they recommend the Maxtor Diamond 10 drives over the spinpoint for not only speed but quietness! So I may try one of those in my machine as I am finding over PSU fan (550 watt) its the disks that are making the most noise! I have 3 IBM/Hitachi drives at the moment!

Again thanks for your help all!

Tone

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    No, this one. The PQ is excellent, and all well so far... I did have a BSOD when it was connected via the external USB hub, but have re-installed the hub and tv card and all seems to be ok again now.

I have one of the Samsung Spinpoint Drives and one of the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 drives in my MCE, there is a slightly very quiet drive noise that is not really noticeable unles you get up close to the PC, but both drives seem to be identical with regard to noise (to my ears!)

lisa

10. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi All

I have now installed the older Nvidia drivers and it has certainly cleared up the issue with my MCE green selector turning to text. It is also running for more than an hour as well.
    So the drivers certainly worked.

The only issue I have now is that when I go into standby my PSU still runs, which I gather is the difference between the S1 and S3 states in the bios. So I will try and sort that out next. At least my Gainward GeForce 4200Ti GS is ok! I'm glad cos I did not really want to lob any more money at it!

As for the noise of the machine, it looks like the 550watt PSU and my hitachi drives are basically too noisy - so it looks like I will have to get rid of them. The only other thought is to actualy sell the PC and build a new one with quiet components from the ground up! Even more money - it will never end upgrade-itis is setting in!

One other issue is that I am finding the PC standby butoon on the MCE remote has stopped turning the PC into standby. Is this configured from the power options in control panel?

Thanks

Tone

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi - I have figured out the standby issue.

One other problem has arisen - when playing back a dvd if I try to navigate the disk via chapters it just hangs. Is this normal?

Thanks

Tone

12. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The problems continue. Sorry if I have gotten you all bored though!

I installed MCE2005 onto a spare partition on my dell, installed windvd6 updated all the updates etc, installed my AV software.
    The Video card is the fanless gigabyte 6600GT with the 1120mhz clock, I have not removed the TV card from my old PC as this card uses its slot and a bit of the next one.
    Anyway the big problem of the machine hanging is evident on both of them now - which was why I decided to use the new dell for a test.
    Essentially after 1hour of DVD or DIVX or watching TV media center hangs. If i press the windows key I get a response but I cannot close media center and I cannot get the DVD to resume or play or even stop. So a reboot clears it up.

I played a DVD in its entirety just using WinDVD 6 without media center loaded. So its obviouse something is incompatible - but what? The similarities between the two machines is the sound card and the video drivers (nvidia 66.x drivers). The sound card is an audigy in the old PC and a value soundblaster 7.1 card in the dell.

If anyone else has seen this problem then please shout.

Thanks

Tone

13. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hi, it may be your video codecs...

The Nvidia driver sounds fine - 66.93
    The WinDVD6 doesn't show on the supported list here it is WinDVD5, or PowerDVD6 or Nvidia DVD, try them all?
    Also what Divx codecs are you using because MCE can be a bit fussy about them too,
    Not familiar with your soundcard but it is worth checking if there are specific MCE supported drivers for it.

lisa

14. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hiya
    I will install the cyberlink software - I got a copy of V5 with the dell. Its funny cos I also could not get true 5.1 through the dvd player on the MCE (Windvd) so hope that issue goes away.
    Do you think a USB soundcard would be ok to use with MCE? Say the Soundblaster External http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=145944 ?

My quandry is 2 PCI slots one is unusable cos of the damn graphics card and the other currently has the SB 7.1 in it. I could them replace the sound card with the Haupagge WinTV PCI (nova T) and outboard my sound. As opposed to outboarding my TV card which is a lot more expensive!
    The other issue with codecs - I have not installed any, which ones should I get? The fact that any video or divx that I have plays means that whatever system codecs are installed are working and therefore ok? Or am I wrong :rolleyes: ?

Thanks

Tone

15. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    HI, I think I have used that soundcard before on an old laptop and it worked well... no onboard sound then? Should be fine, I have read elsewhere about Creative soundcards being funny about outputting true 5.1 sound via spdif...but no first hand experience of it.

If you have done a clean install of MCE it should not be able to play Divx files without installing a Divx codec, so don't know how that happened!

Here is my set-up which seems to be stable....

Nvidia FX5200 using 66.93 drivers
    Nvidia DVD Codec V1.00.67
    AC3 filter V1.01a.rc5
    Xvid V1.1.0
    DivX 311 alpha
    Avermedia A800 USB2 DVB-T tv card
    Onboard Nforce 2 sound - spdif out

This plays back every kind of file I try and quality is very good.

However, my Gigabyte 6600gt - fanless AGP should arrive any minute, to replace the FX5200, and I need to use different drivers to get the PureVideo element to work as that is not supported in drivers 66.93, but the new official drivers (71.84) have stability issues, there are a couple of beta drivers in between which I can try, but not sure how succesfull it will be!

lisa

16. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hey Lisa
    I have fiddled about and now I think I have screwed things up. Well Sort of.

I downloaded the Nvidia DVD Decoder - 30 day trial - that plays back DVD's from Hard Drive with no problems at all.
    However if I play something back from DVD disk, its all crackly on the sound (still in proper 5.1). I get a number of electronic burps and farts basically!!! So thats really pissin me off now!!

I did have some codecs installed - I have downloaded the latest Divx 5.21Pro codecs and installed them - so far every file I have that is DIvx based plays back great!

I installed the AC3 Filter 0.70b as that was all I could find. This is all in my original Media Center PC with the noisy fan. I think I may have messed up by installing a Intervideo AC3 filter which I cant seem to uninstall - went through the reg removed everything with intervideo and then uninstalled all intervideo apps. Still choppy DVD playback from disk. Argghhhh!

I think I will be kicking off a rebuild after I have changed the PSU for a 350watt and purchased a single diamond max 10 disk - which should quieten things down considerably! My GeForce 4ti is running nicely! At least I wont have to toss that away!

Frustrated!

Tone

17. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    :suicide: Oh dear....
    I remember having all this when I was first setting up MCE, after numerous clean installs, I found a combination that works, but all hardware/software configurations are different so you may still have some experimentation to do!

I think with MCE sometimes it is best to just re-format and start again.. and keep the system as 'vanilla' as possible, install as little as you can to get things to work.

Good luck!