1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with MCE showing guide after installing 2nd digibox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Ch0pper, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been running with 1 Grundig 3000 Digibox with S-Video out for ages with no problems at all on a HiGrade DMSII.

I have just (10 minutes ago) installed the second box and set everything up via the Wizard in MCE.

The channels all change correctly with the remotes and I can see both pictures when setting up the speed the channels change etc.

However.. When I finish and it has downloaded the guide I can't view Live TV or bring the guide up. It keep telling me I need to set it up again..

Any ideas?

2. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The error that is displayed when trying to view the guide says, "No channels are available in the Guide. If the problem persists contact your hardware manufacturer."

When trying to press the live TV button nothing happens at all.

3. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SOLVED! FINALLY!

FYI In case this ever happens to anyone else (corrupt EPG) I went into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome (You have to go to folder settings when in "My Computer" and set it to show hidden files first) and deleted the recording directory as advised on other forums(namely this blog.. http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/b...or-recording-problems-in-my-media-center.aspx).. This tends to fix it for most, however not for me.. I then retried it and deleted the EPG directory as well.

You then fire MCE back up (have it closed when deleting the directories) go to My TV and it rebuilds the data of your recorded files AND will redownload the EPG when you select "Guide" successfully! Live TV now works as well!

Bookmark this thread in case it ever happens to you because it's a real headache :)

Huzzah!

4. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks for the info. I've just got hold of a second s-vid out digibox and was contemplating adding it but I may just hook it up to the TV.

Did you have to delete all off your recorded programmes then?

5. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nope! You can delete the "recordings" directory and the "EPG" directory and MCE just rebuilds the info afterwards.. It's like the ultimate soft reset of the EPG.

When you go through the wizard in MCE to set up your guide the info sometimes stays corrupt (if it's already corrupt). This deletes the whole guide and starts from scratch keeping your recordings.

My second digibox is up and running and I'm loving every minute.. There are red dots all over my TV Guide now with no conflicts any more! Yay! :clap:

---

I'm also thinking this has a lot more to do with a recent defrag than installing a second box as I've now tried to recreate the problem a bunch of times without success. Maybe it was just a one-off. There are other people who've had the same problem and haven't been able to fix it just by deleting "Recordings".

I'd recommend setting the second box up on your system though. This is how it should be set up and it really allows it to flex its muscles :)