Problems with LG 4163B

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dirtydawg, Feb 23, 2005.

1. dirtydawg

dirtydawg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought and installed a LG 4163 Super Multi Format burner for my PC so I can convert DVD-RAM recordings made on my also recently bought Panasonic E65.

I've installed the burner and thought I'd try it out by burning some WAV files to CD, which is where my problems started. I put a disc into the burner, closed the drawer and the whole machine powered off! Brought the machine back up and tried again but with the same results. Checked the event log which does show the system failing.

I've tried different media and used different software (ie Windows Media Player and iTunes) and have so far managed to to successfully burn two CD's. The failures seem to be random and can happen when I load a blank disc into the burner or start the burning process. Failures can also occur where it's been previously successful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me round the bend. :lease:

Ta.

2. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you get an answer M8 as I've just ordered the same burner. Perhaps now your back on top someone will answer your post. I hope so!

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,438
    I have the same burner and don't have any problems. Could it be that your power supply in the computer isn't big enough ? What spec is your computer and what version of Windows are you using ?

4. dirtydawg

dirtydawg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow Sorry to report but my machine has died, won't power up at all. It sounds very much as though the power supply wasn't up to it as you suggested JohnG. I'm gonna take it to the place local independant place that built it and see if they can revive it.

I've had the machine about four years and I've upgrade stuff myself along the way but I'm not really that much of a techie and never thought I'd have to upgrade the power supply. Although the new drive I put in was a replacement for a CD writer that was in there since new :( The spec on there at the moment is 640Mb Ram, 30Gb disk and 1GHz clock speed running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all patches.

I'll let you know what the prognosis is.

5. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, to hear your experience Dirtydawg. I had a motherboard which died on me whilst adding some extra RAM so I know that sinking feeling.

I bought an LG DVD Rom GDR-8163B (not a writer) recently from E-Buyer. It was OEM, not retail.

I had all sorts of problems and it basically wouldn't play a DVD giving various messages about changing the region code - even when playing a region 2 DVD and windows XP reported the drive was set to region 2.

I came to the conclusion I maybe had got a drive which someone else had tried unsuccessfully to flash with a region free firmware.

I downloaded a region free firmware and flashed the drive and it now works perfectly.

I've used E-buyer for quite a few things and never had any problems before but I just thought my experience may help others struggling with a drive which misbehaves in someway.

6. jverdoes

jverdoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all

I also have some trouble with the formatting of DVD-Ram media between my external LG 4163B and Panasonic DMR-E65.

I placed this thread today:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193854

Basically, I formatted a DVD-Ram in my LG and copied a DVD with Nero onto this Ram disc. After the burn completed, I placed it in my laptop's DVD drive and the copied DVD played well.
    I then placed it in my Pana E65 and I got the message on the LCD screen: "UNFORMATTED" and on my TV screen that the disc needs to be reformatted.
    Tested the DVD-Ram in the LG drive and in the laptop DVD drive and PowerDVD loaded and played the DVD without any problems.
    I managed to reformat the Ram disc in my Pana and then noticed a folder created by the Pana's disc manager called "DVD_RTAV" when I placed it back in the LG drive.
    When I delete that folder, containing files: VR_MANGR.BUP and VR_MANGR.IFO, the Pana dislpays the same message "UNFORMATTED".
    I then copied the DVD on the RAM disc again and included that folder but still didn't want to work in my Pana E65 but well on my PC.

Anyone with answers...?

Regards,
    Johan :lease:

7. denis1501

denis1501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have no answer but I have a similar problem.
    I have the panny e-65 and lg 4163b.
    Files (mainly jpeg images) I place on a dvd-ram using the lg are either not seen by the panny e-65 or I get the dreaded unformat message.
    However recordings on the panny play fine on the LG.......
    Can't figure it out ........
    regards
    D.

8. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Just some info in case you're not aware...

Are you re-formatting the DVD-RAM disc (on the PC) before copying files onto it?

Although XP can read UDF formatted DVD-RAM discs (which is how the DVD recorder will format the disc) it can only write to FAT32 formatted RAM discs. I have the 4163 (and a 4160) and LG don't provide UDF drivers (unlike Panasonic). After installing some patched Panny drivers I can write to UDF formatted RAM discs with the LG writers.

I've had many many CD writers (all started with my Ricoh MP-6200S, cost me £200 at the time - for a 2x CD re-writer!!) and 6 DVD writers over the years and the LG writers are superb in my opinion (especially the 4163).

Rob.