1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with judder and sound dropouts on laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by pc99, Dec 15, 2003.

1. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I'm experimenting using my laptop (a Compaq Evo N1015v) with my Sanyo Z2 projector for DVD playback.

I have two specific problems.

Firstly I have amanged to create a custom 1280 x 720 resolution using powerstrip trial version, but I can't change the refresh rate from 60Hz. I'm sure the projector can support higher refresh rates, and I have noticed some juddering on pans.

It doesn't make any difference whether the laptops LCD screen is switched on (the graphics chipset is ATI Mobility U1 so it has similar capabilities to standalone graphics cards by ATI).

Secondly and the most annoying. I bought a Creative Soundblaster MP3+ USB sound card to get an optical digital out to feed Dolby Digital out to my amp. When I use it to feed Dolby Digital I get audio dropouts every 10-20 seconds. They are only momentary but very irritating.

I have updated to the latest drivers for the Sound card and I don't get any problems simply playing MP3s or if I set the DVD software to output Dolby Surround via the optical out.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure it's relevent or not ... have you un-checked the "hide unsupported refresh rates" option on the Monitor tab?

3. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I have unchecked that box. I still only get 60Hz listed.

4. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you resolve the sound issues pc99?
    Only Im thinking of getting the usb mp3+ for my laptop so I can use the optical out for DVDs.

5. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    BigB@dJ@y, no I didn't resolve them, I'm afraid. I tried the Soundblaster on my desktop PC and it was fine, so the problem was definitely something to do with the laptop.

I suspect it might be something like dodgy USB drivers on the laptop, but didn't manage to find any updated drivers.

If your laptop is a bit newer you may find you don't have any problems. I'd be interested to know how you get on.

6. Paul Alamo

Paul Alamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you are using DMA on you DVD drive, this would (or may) cause inconsistant performance, Right click My Computer, Select properties, Hardware tab and then Device Manager Expand IDE/ATPI Controllers and select the channel, then advanced tab. Check it is not set to PIO mode.