1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Hitachi Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AngryofMayfair, Jul 12, 2004.

1. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings to all from down under.

I have owned a Hitachi 37" HD plasma for around three weeks now and I am getting more and more concerned about the digital artifacts that I am seeing...

Two main problems - 'rainbows' in images of high contrast - very similar to the rainbows seen with DLP projectors with low rpm colour wheels - a sort of flashing after image if you move your eye-ball to focus from one side of the screen to the opposite side. Very noticable (to me) in scenes containing a lot of darkness with just small highlights of high contrast brightness. On the ch9 HD test loop I see it in the zoo scene where the pelicans are shown against a dark bakground - the white pelicans necks leave a sort of strobey after image if I refocus my eyes across the screen.

Solarisation/posterisation - a really bad 'banding' effect on areas of what should be gradual colour change and especially noticable when these areas of colour are moving. Here's a quote from someone on this forum who has the same problem with a Fujitsu:

"I am just in the process of returning a Fujitsu P42HHA30 which the supplier has agreed to replace because I say it is faulty. I am getting severe solarisation especially noticable on faces where they move on screen. In its mildest form is like a double image with red and green coloured edges and at its worst where lighting is dull it gives faces a ghostly appearance by seeming to exagerate the contrast giving dark almost black eye sockets and white skin tones. Nothing I did could remove the effect and a call to the Fujica service team didn't bring forth any useful adjustment ideas either."

That is exactly the same effect I am seeing with my Hitachi
    The last straw came yesterday whilst watching a recording (Panasonic HS2 in HQ mode) of Death on The Nile shown on the ABC here in Australia, there was a scene showing the close-up of a womans face as she spoke for about 20 secs. The next scene showed a cut-back to the view of the full room she was in and there on the cream coloured wall in the background was an 'after-image' of the close-up of the womans face, slowly fading away before my very eyes....
    Well, I know about image retention in plasmas but this is ridiculous...

Before anyone accuses me of having the Hitachi setup to ridiculous levels of brightness/contrast etc let me say that I have them set to -6 brightness, +12 contrast (down from it's +31 default) and -17 colour...
    The problems I see happen on all input sources, incl a Digitech HD STB, a Panasonic DVD recorder (with Teac 420 SD as a recording source) and also from DVD's played back via the Panasonic or another DVD player.

Any other Hitachi owners or owners of other plasma sets willing to admit that they see these effects?

I can't work out if it's just me (my eyes doc), or just this Hitachi set or ALIS panels in general or something that is a symptom of all plasma sets. I know that I didn't notice any of these problems whilst viewing the ch9 HD test loop in the many showrooms I have visited but only afterwards at home...

TIA for any input/comments

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    I think the main effect of picture quality comes down to the Noise Reduction settings

I now suffer from almost no problems and a perfect picture most of the time on my set by numerous fiddling with settings - have a look at my thread below for current settings - but still feel that the nr settings are still not correct

3. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts Duncan.
    I have tried just about every combination of the settings on the noise reduction setup screen. To be honest even when switching directly between 'high' & 'off' I see very little difference in PQ, in fact I would say that there is pretty much no difference at all between the highest setting and none...
    Do you see a major difference when stepping through the various NR settings?

Anyway, I will revisit your 'settings' thread and give them a try, I know they are quite a bit different to mine as far as brightness & contrast

Cheers

4. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    AngryofMayfair,

I also had the same problems you described with the Hitachi 400E and Fujitsu P42HHS30ES(42" flagship model).

I've had my Pioneer MXE-1 for two weeks and have not seen any problems the Hitachi & Fujitsu have.

The Pioneer MXE-1 has to be one of the best plasmas out at the moment :)

DVD