1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with Hitachi 42HDF52 and DVI from PowerMac

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by palewhitemale, Oct 21, 2005.

1. palewhitemale

palewhitemale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey everybody,

I'm new, and more than a little confused becuase I thought I was starting to understand this...

I am a computer consultant and have been a little blindsided by a client that wanted a plasma for their conference room. My boss recommended this hitachi before I could do any homework on it, and the client bought it. Now I'm stuck with a PowerMac (running an Ati card) and this Hitachi that wont play nice together.

As I understand it, 1080i on a plasma TV is actually 1920x1080 in computer res. I've set the card to output this res and the TV is cutting off the top and bottom, by about an inch on both.

There are no other options that appear to be correct as far as aspect ratio goes, and the aspect MUST be correct because it's a design firm and they use the display for demos (or will when I get it working properly).

Then, I did some reading on the TV itself, and it turns out that the native res of the TV is NOT 1920x1080, but rather 1024x1024, with horizontally rectangular pixels.

So, the question of the day is this: What do I need to do to get this display working properly. I can get a new card, or I can return the TV if TOTALLY necessary (read: last resort).

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, as my contact at ATI has totally flaked out.

-bill

2. palewhitemale

palewhitemale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump....

anybody have any ideas?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi, missed this one, but here goes... Obviously as an IT man, you know that with a digital display, native res is what you want, right? This is actually impossible with any Hitachi ALIS screen, the 1024x1024 display type that you are dealing with. Now another classic feature is that they do not 'scale to fit' a 1080i signal, but crop it to fit 1024 pixels high, what we call 'overscan'. That lops off the sides of the piccy, not much cop with a PC. The ONLY res they do not overscan is 1024/768. Fine you may say, but now we come to the nasty bit: All plasmas of 42" with enough resolution to look smart with a PC are true XGA. This is a 16:9 shape, but 4:3 resolution, meaning that all your icons are fat and squat, and for God's sake don't show a pic of the MD's wife, it's more than your job is worth! 2 solutions to this:-
    1. Get a 50" plasma from Pioneer (MXE1) Panasonic (PHD8) Fujitsu (XHA30/40) These all have 16:9 resolutions directly addressable, or near enough, the Pio is not exactly, but you'll never notice.
    2. Send a 42" other than Hitachi (overscan problem) 1280/720 or 1920/1080. This obviously is not native, but you can adjust the overscan out on the 42" screens equivalent to the models above, giving a reasonably clear if internally scaled picture, with no fat ladies