Problems with head unit VW Golf Mk3

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by the_guvnors, Mar 27, 2005.

1. the_guvnors

the_guvnors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there...

Got a problem with my SONY head unit! (Fitted in a VW Golf MK3)

When I first installed it, it worked fine. But when I turned my engine off everything reset, lost all settings etc... Anyway, swapped red and yellow bullet connectors over and bingo!

Today I decided to wire up my 6x9's which have been lying around the house for a while. I cut the correct wires, joined them with block connecters and they were working perfectly...

So I went to slide my head unit back in, and the power kept flicking on and off, then I heard some funny noises in my dash board. Head unit no longer works...

Had a fiddle around, I put the yellow and red wires together (on the metal) and the power came on. So I taped them together thinking this would be ok. Took key out of ignition and radio is still playing!!!

Help me?!?!? Checked fuses, they are fine. Why wont my head unit work after wiring my 6x9's up? :lease:

2. pauldrage

pauldrage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    red is a constant live..
    yellow is probably switched live (from ig. key?)

untape them.
    wire it how it used to be?
    failing that as a temp fix take the red wire off everything and you shouldnt have a problem with it staying on.
    hope that helps a bit

3. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    on the sony loom the red wire is the ign feed and the yellow wire is for the perm live. from memory the yellow wire has the 2 connectors on it so i take it you have put the red wire onto this. if this is what you have done then you are giving your head unit a constant 12v at both feeds this is why it won't turn off with the ignition. if you replace the wiring as it was red/yellow yellow/red and then check your fuse under the dashboard which has probably blown. once you replace this your headunit should work properly.

4. the_guvnors

the_guvnors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fuse under the dash board? is there another fuse apart from in the fuse box??