• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problems with HDMI splitters

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Morning all,

I am having problems trying to split the signal from my skybox and send it to two tv's simultaneously. I have tried two different solutions, the below: -

Neet® - 2 Way HDMI SPLITTER BOX 1x2 Port - Active: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This works when only one of the displays is plugged in but as soon as both are plugged in one works and the other does not. The one which stops working when both are plugged in uses an older HDMI cable. Could this be the cause? Unfortunately it is not possible for me to replace it as it is in the wall.

I also tried the below box from Maplin but get the same problem.

HDMI 2 Way Splitter : HDMI Switches : Maplin Electronics

Any suggestions?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ensure you have disabled HDMI CEC Control on both Display devices!

Ensure you have tried a full system reboot (simultaneously power everything Off at the wall) then re-power!

Ensure your SKY box and (where possible) both Display devices are running the latest Firmware!

Your installed cable is unlikely to be your problem - HDCP is the more likely culprit!

If all else fails a more advanced Distribution Amp is your next step - http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDDA12A-UK.htm

Joe

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I have tried all of the above apart from this: -

"Ensure you have disabled HDMI CEC Control on both Display devices"

What is this?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI CEC may be labelled as Anynet, BRAVIA Link, VIERA Link etc. depending on your brand of TV.

With an active HDMI Source connected and selected on your Display look for and disable anything which mentions HDMI Control in the Display settings menu.

Once disabled reboot the system.

More info here - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#section_2

Joe

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Thanks Joe, will give it a crack when I get home. Hopefully I won't have to go with the £150 option but now that I am forced to talk to the wife over dinner I may have to!!

TerryLee

Novice Member
Most HDMI splitters support CEC but that is usually the problem.

Say you have a Samsung Blu-Ray and two samsung TVS, the CEC will send the commands to all devices. So you switch off your bluray and both Tvs go off, or worse as some TVS power on/off are toggled then one tV goes on and teh other goes off depending what state they were in when you tuned off the BluRay.

Though the example above is about Samsing, the same can be true for most makes and mixed makes. CEC is really only useful when a simple one to one connection (and not always then)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom