Problems with HDMI Display

GeeUK

Hi guys,

I have just purchased a LG W2261V 22" TFT Monitor, Full HD and I have an ASUS M4A78-VM 780G Socket AM2+ HDMI DVI VGA 8 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard and ASUS HD 4850 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card.

Now my monitor is working fine via D-SUB but when I try to use the HDMI cable I get a message on the screen that says 'HDMI Power Saving' or something along those lines.

Now the HDMI input is built into my motherboard and the D-SUB is via my graphics card.

Is this something to do with it...are there some settings I need to change for the HDMI to be recognised?

So far I have tried:

-Switching monitor off and back on
-Changing resolutions (not sure if the correct ones though?)
-Installed monitor drivers from disc
-Installed latest VGA drivers for Windows 7 via ASUS website

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Have a look in your CMOS setup / BIOS to see if there is a graphics or video setting that needs changing.
You may even have to disable the graphics card for the onboard HDMI to work properly.

GeeUK

Hi,

Yeah, will check the BIOS tonight, one thing I have not done yet.

Think I have bought into the monitor without researching it properly. I bought it under the assumption that HDMI was the way to go, but I am using my monitor for internet and gaming.

I have been told that I may aswell just use DVI as the quality is just as good and I won't see any difference between DVI and HDMI?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
I think you meant VGA rather than DVI in your last post.
DVI-D and the digital connections on DVI-I use exactly the same (digital) electrical signals as HDMI. HDMI adds sound capability (where appropriate).

GeeUK

Yeah, you are right.

I am trying to use DVI now but I get the same thing. A message on the monitor that says:

DVI power saving mode

I looked in the BIOS and saw two options of interest.

1 - Enable Plug and Play - This is off..should it be on?
2 - Primary video controller, which the options were:

GFXO-GPP-IGFX-PCI
GPP-GFXO-IGFX-PCI
PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX
IGFX-GFXO-GPP-PCI

Do I need to select one of these?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
For option one, try plug and pray on/enabled :)
For option2 I have no idea- suggest you try them all in turn.

TWOQUIDKEV

Standard Member
Hi GeeUK

sorry but I'm a bit confused what connections are you trying?

you say d-sub is working, is this a vga connection running through a DVI-VGA converter via PCI-E graphics card or are you connecting monitor through onboard VGA?

if you're trying to run via the onboard graphics then why have a dedicated PCI-E card?

as far as I know when you plug a graphics card into the PCI-E this disables the onbaord VGA/HDMI so plugging into one of these won't produce a video signal. unless you boot up with the monitor plugged into the onboard graphics and it disables the 2xDVI connections on the graphics card and vice versa.

Your PCI-E graphics card is gonna be the best video, miles better than the onboard graphics, so try connecting the monitor to the graphics card via DVI then boot the machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom