1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with FFDShow!?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by spikerules, Aug 9, 2005.

1. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't seem to get FFDshow running well on my super computer: -

AMD FX-53
    Asus A8N-SLI
    Nvidia 6800 Ultra
    Zalman resernator water cooling
    1GB OCZ 2-2-2-5 RAM
    2x 74GB 10,000rpm Raptors
    Audigy 2ZS Platinum 7.1 THX certified sound card

Its very jerky and looks kind of crappy!?

My FFDShow settings have NVDVD as A/V decoders, set to overlay mixer, blur & noise reduction first with only dnoise ticked - luma 0.50 - chroma 0.50 - time 5.00 & Resize & Aspect set to 1280x720.

Could anyone please help me with my settings?
    Thanks

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    could be down to refresh rate problems or type of rendering. if using overlay try VMR9 or vica versa. both can cause percieved jerkyness.

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Couple of questions.

. have you tried Theatertek?
    . what are all the options you are using under resize?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What does the Task Manager's processor usage show? One important parameter you haven't listed in the Resize algorithm and parameter value you're using, eg. Lanczos 4.

It's some time since I used FFDSHOW so I don'tunderstand your comments about FFDSHOW using the NVDVD codecs, last time I used it FFDSHOW was a post-processor and you needed to use it in conjunction with a DVD player such as TheaterTek, is it now a player in its' own right?

5. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the Lanczos method and media player classic.

I haven't tried theatertek yet. Whats the diff between Tt and media classis?

6. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problems. I tried every setting and it turned out that it was the version of FFdshow I had (feb2005) that was incompatible. I tried another (mar2005) and it was fine. Hope this helps!

Bigfatsi

7. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give it a try bigfatsi... thanks!

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I mentioned TT only because I know FFDSHOW works with it and didn't know what other players, such as Classic or ZoomPlayer you have.

IMX oder versions of FFDSHOW are preferable, I still use the 10122004 version and haven't seen anything in later versions which make me want to 'upgrade' .. indeed, many people still use the 'Andy' version from July last year because of its' superioir optimisation of Lanczos scaling.

However, these days I mainly use a Pio 868/Lumagen to watch DVDs so my HTPC doesn't get used very much now.

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Robin, out of interest and without wanting to take this thread off topic how do you find the performance of the 868/lumagen in comparison to the hcpc, i imagine the 868/lumagen combination wins hands down for ease fo use but how is it in comparison to picture quality?

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PQ wise it's superior, the image is sharper without the ringing FFDSHOW introduces and 48/50/60hz operation is completely devoid of 'issues' such as judder, tearing etc., and as you say ease-of-use the PC just can't compare. Bear in mind this is using an H77 pj on to a 92" screen, PQ differences show up more at this size than, say, a 42" plasma, and of course upscaling to 720p is the main cause poor PQ in many cases.

The 868 on its' own was inferior, upscaling was software and less defined and was not acceptable compared to the PC, the scaler changed things noticeably. I am feeding it interlaced SD via HDMI.

On the downside, I miss the ability to use AnyDVD to bypass copyright cr@p etc., but I always have the option to rip-and-burn for those few DVDs I watch repeatedly.

That said, it's a £2000 solution as compared to a few hundred for a basic HTPC so that has to be taken into account, whether the improvement is worth the outlay is a very personal decision, in my case ease-of-use and lack of any need to carry on the fight with bits and pieces sof software and hardware was the main decision point for me.

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Thanks for the info Robin.

I have managed to get ffdshow working fine now (with help in the past from yourself) and i have got rid of most of the ringing and all of the jagged edges, especially now i am using nvidia codecs, this is on a 6ft wide screen.
    It has also been very stable (touch wood) so i am extremely happy with it.

It is interesting to know your opinions though as i was at one point contemplating the likes of a lumagen and as you have used both, as you say though it depends whether you want to spend circa £2k on a solution.

12. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I had terrible stuttering using TT and ffdshow despite owning a rig made up of a 4000+ AMD 64, 2GB of RAM and a 7800GTX gfx card - turned out to be the refresh-rate being outputted not being 'liked' by my Z3 - changed the timings in the gfx card driver section, and now it is as smooth as a baby's bot.

Tweaked to perfection now, and it blows away even my previous 868 which I have now sold on, so impressed am I by the HTPC route. :smashin:

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    near enough the same as me. same problem with stuttering when i first set it up but when i sorted it, it blew away the 868 i seen connected to the projector (wasnt mine but lent to test). more than happy with my HTPC been stable since feb when i set it up and i wouldnt change for anything well perhaps a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive :devil:

14. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now got TT and FFDSHOW running and it works fine with downloaded media from the HD, but it doesn't seem to want to play with DVD's?? DVD's play fine but FFDShow wont run whilst DVD's are playing. Has anyone else had this problem?

PS Blu Ray to win HD WAR!! hehe

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I suspect you're using hardware playback support, you need to use software-only ..turn off DXVA use in TT's config dialog.

PS .. BD and HD DVD are years away from being useful :) .. with all the copy protection cr@p they're adding are YOU going to buy a player needing internet access that can be disabled remotely (or via the 'revoke list' on a DVD you just bought) 'cos someone cracked the brand you have??? You'll need Longhorn to play HD material on PCs, believe me, no ripping to hard disk, an NO FFDSHOW WHATSOEVER, there'll be no access to un-encrypted video by 'unauthorised' software, and stuff like FFDSHOW hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of being authorised.

Read and weep

16. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I know that it is only speculation but with hidef you would have thought that the pq would be good enough without any post processing?

17. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    In fairness, I can't see that much difference now between renderless VMR9 and post-processed ffdshow...

18. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bring on PS3... thats all that matters at the moment:)

19. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still cant get DVD's to work with FFDSHOW even with DXVA turned off? Wonder what might be causing this?

20. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    did you set raw video to all supported. think i seen another thread saying playback problems and didnt set this. something is telling me this maybe related to playback to avi but im not 100% sure. worth a shot

i see an austounding difference with no FFDShow. things tend to be blurry and not defined without FFDShow scaling. i swear swordfish PAL dvd looks like real HD and i have the HD version to compare :p

21. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Maybe it's because I am using Nvidia on-card acceleration then (7800GTX card)

The only difference, is that renderless tends to be a little softer, but that's easily adjusted.

Either way it looks stunning :)

22. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It depends on many things, not least the display system you're using.

23. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What does 'not working' mean? No picture? No evidence of FFDSHOW doing anything?

Tell us all your TT video settings.

Go into FFDSHOW's configuration and enable the system tray icon, then run TT in windowed mode and see if the FFDSHOW icon appears.

24. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have OSD enabled in FFDShow to display the frame rate and resolution, but it doens't appear when I play DVD's. I assume this is because its not working?

25. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmmm, lack of OSD is probably an indicator. The only time I've ever had problems was when I had hardware (DXVA) enabled in TT and so it wasn't using FFDSHOW .. if you've definitely disabled that and have configured FFDSHOW into the Post-Processing chain in TT then I'm afraid I really can't think what else to suggest, short of you trying another FFDSHOW-friendly player like ZoomPlayer to try to find out why (if at all) FFDSHOW is failing to load.

26. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I always thought the only thing that could disable ffdshow was if you were running in renderless mode, which I think is labelled 'full screen mode' or something in TT.

I thought hardware acceleration and ffdshow *could* run together?

27. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Full screen and renderless are two different things. :)

Full-screen simply means TT opens a full-screen window to play the movie, the alternative is Windowed when it uses a normal 'frame' window, this works no matter which rendering mode is used. Renderless is one variation of the VMR9 rendering mode, which in turn is an option instead of Overlay.

The 'render mode' determines how the graphics card handles the construction of an image into it's output buffer, while 'window mode' determines the type of window TT is using to display that output.

As for 'hardware mode' there is some confusion here caused by NVidia's codecs using part of the hardware support in the latest cards even though the player itself is running in 'software' mode .. the key thing here is whether DXVA is enabled, that's the traditional software/hardware 'mode' selection, in DXVA mode post-processing like FFDSHOW isn't applicable.

Bascially, if you select DXVA in TT you'll see the Post-Proccessing options greyed-out I believe to indicate that those settings aren't currently being used.

28. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Well I'm just going by what I was told on the Theatertek forum, by the creator of the program - I presumed he knew :D

'Full screen mode', selected in the advanced video tab, is how renderless mode in VMR9 is selected, according to said creator...indeed I am able to select FFDshow post-processing *and* DXVA acceleration at the same time, which would go some way to supporting said theory, but when this 'full screen mode' is selected, ffdshow is not activated according to it's own OSD.

Now I'm very confused - either way, see here: http://forums.theatertek.com/showthread.php?t=7356&highlight=release+note

4th paragraph:

:confused: :lease:

29. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Andrew at times isn't precise .. and his inability to produce a manual for version 2 after 9 months is clearly an indication of his desire to produce effective documentation. :(

Since I don't run VMR I have never bothered investigating renderless mode, hence I don'tknow the dialog he is referring to. Just before that quote he talks about renderless options which would seem to me to indicate that there's more than one setting here.

I suspect the comment you quote refers to the fact that these other renderless options are made available by selecting full screen mode, since renderless operation is only possible with an application running full-screen (as opposed to windowed).

Bear in mind that post you link to was the 'new features' list summarising things that have been added, rather than part of the non-existent User Guide for version 2 and thus probably doesn't describe the full operation of that dialog.

All I can say is that I run TT in 'full screen mode' using the Overlay renderer. :)