1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with EmpireDirect!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by trebor21, Sep 12, 2005.

1. trebor21

trebor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought a samsung tv from empire direct last october, has become faulty yet again, a line down one side of the screen! Same problem twice! Last time was over christmas so no tv in the living room over that whole period!

Took a month to fix last time, asked for a replacement this time empire direct refused. Asked for a loan tv due to the inconvience of having no tv for a month. Empire direct again refused, pointed out my rights under sale of goods act, still refused to budge. Now having to consult with consumer advice, write letters in order to try resolve the issue! What happened to customer care!
    Also on both occasions i have to deal with samsung to get a repair EmpireDirect Simply didnt want to know!
    You have been warned.

2. mickg007

mickg007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what model did you buy ??

3. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Empire direct again..

4. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    "Do not buy from Empire Direct" needs to be in glowing neon.

5. trebor21

trebor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Model was a PS42V4

6. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, Even If you buy from a so called better Dealer, you could still end up with a Duff screen. trust me, coz It's happening to me.

My Panasonic was Faulty a few months ago, went off to Repair via a Panny Agent and Came back with same fault, waiting to hear what happens from Dealer, in the Meantime I'm prob going to Buy from RicherSounds and get a Swap
    Out Deal if anything goes wrong, plus they are Local to me.

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its so heart warming to find out what some retailers become like when you have a duff product and quite rightly want one to do the job you bought it for. If I handed over funny money there would be all hell to pay and I could end up in prison, yet some retailers expect us to quietly get on with it.

8. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Couldn't you use the consumer protection act? A store is unable to 'by law' create any specific terms and conditions which deny your consumer rights. And from what i've just seen...

Electrical goods - your rights

If you have bought electrical goods - such as toasters, washing machines, microwaves, stereos and televisions - they must be:

* Of satisfactory quality.
    * Fit for their purpose.
    * As described.

When an item doesn’t meet some or all of these conditions:

If you have only used them a few times or haven’t had a reasonable opportunity to check them, you are probably entitled to a refund for a fault or poor description, or alternatively you may request a replacement.

If the fault is only minor and can easily be put right, it is reasonable to accept a repair. This won’t stop you claiming a replacement or refund if the repair turns out to be unsatisfactory.

If you have used them more than a few times or have had a reasonable opportunity to check them, you are probably still entitled to a repair or replacement. A repair should be carried out within a reasonable period of time and without causing you significant inconvenience. Any repair should restore goods to a satisfactory condition. If this does not happen, you are entitled to a replacement or compensation. This could be a sum of money or the cost of hiring a temporary replacement, or perhaps the loan of a replacement.

If the goods cannot be replaced or repaired economically, you are entitled to a refund. The trader may make a reduction from the price you paid to allow for the use you have had from the goods.

If the goods have damaged anything else or you are out of pocket in any other way, you may be entitled to compensation over and above the price of the goods.

Remember, if you are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or compensation, it is the trader who must sort out your problem. The trader cannot tell you to go back to the manufacturer.

So technically you could probably threaten to sue the :censored: for denying you of consumer rights...dunno if this helps or not

9. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most dealers are pants when it comes to problematic products - they kind of want the manufacture to sort it out and leave it for them and the customer to battle it out!

I had a nightmare with phones4u about this once (i know different product but similar scenario) - I had it for 2 weeks (on a very expensive contact) - it got knackered and they took my phone of me for month and made me still pay for the month i didn't have it and couldn't loan me another phone !! They just kept on blaming the manufacturer (samsung btw - lol)!

Just to rebalance this post a bit in terms of empiredirect...

I have used empiredirect in the past and I have found them phenomenal in terms of customer service - they are highly flexible on delivery and returned all my calls when I posed questions - twice I have paid for goods, had them delivered and rung back to say I didn't mention a discount code which I had and they have refunded me the difference after taking the code.

I've just ordered my 42PE50 & Mission FS1s from there - such is the sign of my confidence.

Anyhow I hope your issue gets sorted - its not nice to pay so much for a product and not get the respect you deserve.

10. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My old samsung V4 broke twice with the same same problem, hehe.
    Although mine devloped not one, but 6 (!) lines. Almost one for every day that passed since the first one appeared.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    Watched the cricket down the pub yesterday and there were 2 samsung screens, one had a row of black pixels going across the screen horizontaly about 3 inces from the top. The other one had half a dozen vertical lines running down the right hand side.

I have never seen this before, and then two screens in the same place both had it.

12. trebor21

trebor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL well samsung denied there was any problem with this pannel, id love to know how many people have had problems, sounds like people havent complained!
    Here is a very useful fact for you guys, i spoke to citizens advice, and even though the warranty is only for a year goods are expected to last for an appropiate length of time, you have up to five years after you purchase the product to claim against the retailer if it develops a fault. So this is probably why John Lewis offer the gurantee up front, you technically have it for five years under consumer law! My Gurantee is due up next month so at least i know i am protected!

13. trebor21

trebor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And empire direct good service! When i ordered my tv it was out of stock for a while, mean time price went down, phoned to ask if i could have it for reduced price since i hadnt recieved it yet, said oh that price is a mistake lol! so they put price back up again and what do you know as soon they dispatched mine price was back down!
    I dont think they responded to a single email regarding this either.

Also once dispatched no one contacted me i had to phone several times, empire direct, the delivery company to try and find out what was going on! Delivery took two weeks! I lot of hastle could have been saved by giving me an accurate delivery date!

14. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a nightmare when you buy something and not only does it take ages to get to you, you then have the later hassle off getting stuff sorted as the product is faulty :suicide:

Like everything in life, sometimes you can be unlucky I guess - just ask the poor chap who bought the "friday afternoon" BMW X5 for £45k

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Exactly. I ordered from the once and that was enough for me. Their customer service department was grumpy and uninterested with my query – I’ve never used them since and never will.

16. trebor21

trebor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I heard one member saying his retailer give him a refund for that tv has they had several problems with them! I pointed that out to empire direct, and there response was "thats up to them, but we wont be doing that" That isnt about luck it just summarises empire directs attitude once they have your money!

17. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had a strange but pleasant experience none the less so far anyway!! - I ordered a Panny LCD and was told it was out of stock! not to worry I said I'll order it anyway because the price was so good. Best I could find on the tinterweb! :D

So this was on the Monday morning & I was told to expect to wait at least 3 weeks for delivery ! anyway knock on the door Tuesday morning & it was the courier with my Panny!! :clap:

Good Job I didn't research Empire on here before proceeding!!

18. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had a strange but pleasant experience none the less so far anyway!! - I ordered a Panny LCD and was told it was out of stock! not to worry I said I'll order it anyway because the price was so good. Best I could find on the tinterweb! :D

So this was on the Monday morning & I was told to expect to wait at least 3 weeks for delivery ! anyway knock on the door Tuesday morning & it was the courier with my Panny!! :clap:

19. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

20. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

21. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

22. johnnyboyc_uk

johnnyboyc_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You had 5 unpleasant experiences? wow ;)

23. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you guys written to the management team at empiredirect (which is the advice they give if you feel the call centre doesn't deal with your complaint correctly)?

Have you left feedback on their website (which shows good and bad feedback - btw which i think is a sign of their confidence) ?

I'm not saying everything is great, but there is a time from when taking pen to paper (so to speak) is needed and when escalation works a treat. They have the processes in place so its best to use them - as well as a company having an obligation to do well by its customer, the customer has an obligation to make the matter known to those who pay the monkeys !!

Name me one retailer who can satisfy everyone 100% - you have to take a pragmatic approach to this kind of stuff and not get so extreme in your thought process (even though i recognise how easy it is for this to happen).

My nextdoor neighbour has bought the bmw x5 for £45k from our local beamer dealership - shed loads have gone wrong on it - now I can name 10 people who have bought from there and would swear by them but if you talk to my neighbour you would probably never buy a bmw in your life !! :D

24. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

25. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: LOL

Laptop went nuts yesterday :suicide: !! Apologies. :oops:

26. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having very slow page load ups yesterday & today (some times timing out - though all other web pages are fine) - i thought you might have got impatient and press reply a few times :)

27. Commuterman

Commuterman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am so furious with Empire Direct I just have to vent my anger somewhere :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ordered Sony KDLV32A12U in latter half of August and advised by ED that they had 20+ on order, of which 2 already reserved.

ED phoned just over a week ago to advise now in stock, so I coughed up my money and told delivery tomorrow. Booked tomorrow off work.

ED phoned this evening to tell me that they had a stock error and they have none in stock. Cancelled order.

I have never posted on any forum, but I am just so angry.

Thank you for reading.

Steve

28. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    homecinematv have that set in stock

29. trebor21

trebor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We have emailed and sent recorded letter to empire direct managament! over a week ago still no reply!
    Sums their attitude up!

30. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but even with the trusted shops you will get shafted...just read my posts....i spent £2880 less than a year ago and the selling agent has done nothing, come back Comet/Dixons...all is forgiven!