1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Denon DVD-2910 on some discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spl23, Dec 2, 2004.

1. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a quandary here...

Last week I bought a Denon AVR-2805 and a DVD-2910, and on the whole, I'm pretty pleased with them - nice picture, decent enough sound, usual hideous Denon user interface and manuals, etc.

However, on Monday, I bought a copy of the new "Elements" DVD compilation by Mike Oldfield. I put it in the player and sat down to watch it, only to find the picture and sound breaking up every few seconds. Cleaned the disc, tried again - same result.

Hadn't had any problems with other discs, so I presumed the disc was faulty and took it back to HMV for an exchange. Put the new disc in the player, hit play - exactly the same problem. At this point, I tried the disc in my Panasonic portable, my old Pioneer DV-656A and both DVD drives in my PC - all of which played the disc with no problems at all.

So it must be the player that's faulty then? Took the player back to the dealer, explained the problem and they gave me a new one. Came home, plugged it in, inserted disc - guess what?

Yup, same problem as before - picture and sound breaking up all over the place.

So I have now had two copies of this disc, which have both failed to work in a DVD-2910, but seem ok in all other players. I have had 2 DVD-2910s, both of which have shown the same problems with this disc, but seem to play other stuff I have tried with no problems.

If you look at the disc, both had some odd-looking marks within the disc itself - looks as if there are patterns in the glue between the two layers, or air trapped in there, something like that. However, every other DVD player seems not to care about this, and plays the disc fine.

I have emailed the Mike Oldfield mailing list, and it seems that other copies of this disc have this odd patterning in them, but that other people's DVD players don't seem to mind.

So, any suggestions as to what I do here? I've just bought £600 worth of DVD player, and I have no confidence that it isn't suddenly going to object to some other disc in my collection at some point in the future.

I can keep taking discs back until I get one that works - which could take a while. I can keep taking the player back until I get one that will read this disc. Both of these courses of action seem a bit awkward, as I have no idea whether it is the disc or the player that is at fault. Gut feel suggests that the disc is slightly faulty and the player is slightly less good at tracking faulty discs than others, but the difference in performance between the Denon and every other player I've tried worries me - this is a £600 machine - I'd expect it to be able to deal with problems that don't phase a bunch of cheaper (supposedly inferior) players.

Does anyone else have a DVD-2910? Have you noticed any problems with its ability to track discs?

Any advice gratefully received, cos I'ma bit stumped right now...

Cheers,

Simon

2. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have a 2910 , and so far i've had one disc that won't play - Fahrenheit 911. That said i haven't been through the whole of my collection yet to see if any others are going to give problems.

3. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Simon,

You might have read elsewhere that I have got pretty much the same problem with a 3190 that I bought this tuesday. It was ok for all of ten mins then........nothing, wont play anything, via any source. Picture and sound are breaking up, skipping completely at random.

Called the dealer I got it from today and have been offered a replacement straight away, and have been told that there have been a few machines with damaged transports.

I know the feeling though mate, ya dont want to be spending upwards of £600 on a piece of kit and end up not being able to use it. I got an old Pacific player in my attic that playes everything you throw at it, only cost me £7 at a boot sale!

Am reading a lot lately about faulty/damaged Denon equipment. Fingers crossed....the 3905 I bought as well is working faultlessly.

MOSE

**** Thinking about the marks or patterns on the discs, I have recently had some shipped from PLAY.COM, and nearly all of them have circular "blobs", exactly as you describe the marks on your discs. I have a Pioneer 737 player that I use in my dining room and it struggled playing those, so called PLAY and they happily exchanged them very quickly. The Pioneer plays the replacement discs ok. Maybe dvds struggle under certain shipping conditions??

4. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    These kinds of problems surely can't be 'across the board' as I am playing Fahrenheit 9/11 (Region 2) right now on my 2910 without a problem. Is it a particular part of the film where problems occur?

5. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The problem is getting the disc to start, sometimes you'll get to the menu , and if you pick chapter 3 you'd be ok. but try to just play the movie the disc spins up for a bit then just gives up.
    Its probably the disc, though it plays in my other - cheap - DVD players.

6. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Out of interest, how are you connecting the 2910 to your TV?

7. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    At the time I was using Scart.

spl23:
    I forgot to mention, my copy of Fahrenheit 911 has a similiar look to it, appearance like a water stain in the plastic.

8. tobytronic

tobytronic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 2805 and 2910 combination. I have had one disc that wouldn't play (paycheck R2) but it was rented and was hammered on the back. Looked like a coaster!!

I have played F.911 and I'm jst trying some MP3 CDR's this AM after failing to get my DVD-r (bulkpaq orange 2x) to work so i'm going for Ritek when i've esearched which ones - probably the same CDr brand as well.

Bigger problem is by Kef Egg sub is broke. It has power but no sound. GGGRRRRRRR.