Problems with Denon AVR3805

Norbert666

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had this Denon AVR3803 (oops its actually a 3803 ) receiver about a year now; I'm going to dig out my receipt and see precicely how long.

Some time ago, when it wasn't too old, the TV input channel stopped working.

I swapped the inputs to another (there are about 8 or 9) and it worked.

Now this other one has gone. I've swapped it to another again, but I'm not happy with two faulty inputs.

Is this a common problem? And how do I get it fixed if it's outside of it's warranty period?

Cheers

James

You can do a hard reset of the Processor. Check the manual under Processor Re-Initialization for the button combo. It usually involves holding down a couple of buttons on the front panel whilst turning the power on. The display will flash and reset everything back to the defaults. Just bear in mind that you'll have to redo all your setup (channel levels, digital in assignments, delay times etc).

if the reset doesnt work, where did you get it from? i thought i had a problem with my optical inputs the other week when i tried to hook Sky+ box to them for DD sound, didnt work. I have the 3803 and i got it from Sevenoaks, i go in there probably 3 times a year to buy things for the last couple years, usually components/speakers or just cables etc. I asked the guys in there and they said its on a 2 year warranty as standard, if i bring it in they will get it sorted, because they remember me and its still on their system, even tho from nearly 2 years ago now, they happily said dont worry about finding the receipt......(i always find if you gonna buy stuff at this price point, get friendly with the staff so they remember you..lol)......so if you cant find the receipt just try going in the shop and see if they remember you....or have the purchase under your details on their computer system....

the good news is that the 3803 has to be sold through authorised dealers, so more than likely you will be ok......however if you havnt got the original box you might have to buy another one, i think denon dont like it when they get stuff sent in the wrong kind of box cuz of transit warranties...

but hopefully the reset will work....lol

(oh, i didnt have to send it in to the shop after all tho, turned out the optical outputs were at the top of the amp and the inputs lower down....cuz i couldnt get behind the amp to read i thought it was the other...lol....im sure the manual shows it the other way too....heh.....so i'd been plugging in the wrong sockets...d'oh)

Knyght_byte said:
if the reset doesnt work, where did you get it from? i thought i had a problem with my optical inputs the other week when i tried to hook Sky+ box to them for DD sound, didnt work. I have the 3803 and i got it from Sevenoaks, i go in there probably 3 times a year to buy things for the last couple years, usually components/speakers or just cables etc. I asked the guys in there and they said its on a 2 year warranty as standard, if i bring it in they will get it sorted, because they remember me and its still on their system, even tho from nearly 2 years ago now, they happily said dont worry about finding the receipt......(i always find if you gonna buy stuff at this price point, get friendly with the staff so they remember you..lol)......so if you cant find the receipt just try going in the shop and see if they remember you....or have the purchase under your details on their computer system....

the good news is that the 3803 has to be sold through authorised dealers, so more than likely you will be ok......however if you havnt got the original box you might have to buy another one, i think denon dont like it when they get stuff sent in the wrong kind of box cuz of transit warranties...

but hopefully the reset will work....lol

(oh, i didnt have to send it in to the shop after all tho, turned out the optical outputs were at the top of the amp and the inputs lower down....cuz i couldnt get behind the amp to read i thought it was the other...lol....im sure the manual shows it the other way too....heh.....so i'd been plugging in the wrong sockets...d'oh)

I did actually buy it from Sevenoaks, and I can;t find the damn receipt which is really annoying me.

I think they will remember me as I bought a full set of Monitor Audio Broze speakers and took them back the next day as they were too big for the room. They weren't best pleased :rolleyes:

oops...lol....

have you tried the reset yet? if not and its because you cant find your manual, just post again, i have the manual still and can post up the process on here for you....

if it doesnt work ,just pop in (dont phone, they more likely to remember a face than a voice) and tell them what the problem is, but you cant find your receipt, hopefully they will remember you or be able to find your details on the system...then your laughing, they will get you to bring it to the shop and they will send it off :)

did you buy it outright or use their interest free option? if you did then you could use the debit of that as proof on your bank statement :)

15 INITIALIZATION OF THE MICROPROCESSOR
When the indication of the display is not normal or when the operation of the unit does not shows the reasonable result, the initialization of the
microprocessor is required by the following procedure.
1 Switch off the unit using the main unit’s power operation
switch.
2 Hold the following PURE DIRECT button and DIRECT button,
and turn the main unit’s power operation switch on.
3 Check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of
about 1 second, and release your fingers from the 2 buttons
and the microprocessor will be initialized.
NOTES:
• If step 3 does not work, start over from step 1.
• If the microprocessor has been reset, all the settings are reset
to the default values (the values set upon shipment from the
factory).

altho its most likely the same, if that doesnt work then let me know in a PM and i'll send you the 3803's instructions if different......

Knyght_byte said:
altho its most likely the same, if that doesnt work then let me know in a PM and i'll send you the 3803's instructions if different......

Could you? I have the manual but couldn't find anything :rolleyes:

ta

james

Just checked. On the 3803 you hold down the Pure Direct and Zone 2 buttons on the front panel whilst turning the Power ON.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom