problems with damp and condensation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by collegegirl1982, Feb 7, 2009.

1. collegegirl1982

collegegirl1982
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi all having problems with damp and condensation my exterior wall on the inside is always wet and always gets mould marks on it.
    plus as soon as it gets to night time my double glazed windows steam up. plus my kids always seem to be poorly any advice please:(

2. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    condensation is normally caused by a lack of fresh air getting into a house especially in older houses.

often old houses (especially solid wall houses) that had upvc double glazed windows would develop this, most windows now have little vents at the top of them to help stop condensation. If you have a house with a cavity wall that has no insulation get some foam insulation pumped into it (there may be grants?).

the 3 main areas for condensation are the kitchen (boiling / steaming stuff) the bathroom (obviously) and the bedroom since most people breath out something like a pint of water over night.

some simple things you can do, if you have window vents open them, if there are any air bricks on the wall unblock them or open the vents (i cured my damp by having air bricks fitted) keep bedroom doors open all the time. When you have a bath keep the door closed, when you are done open the window with the door closed for a bit to get most of the moisture outside. If you dont have vents but your windows can be locked slightly open try this, however dont go out with them like this and if your in a dodgy area dont do it at night.

there is a possibility that the damp is not caused by condensation but by rising damp (99.999999% of the time caused by a man made issue) or from something leaking from above.

dehumidifiers will help but cost money. you can short term rent industrial ones or buy smaller ones. they can be a little noisy.

damp can cause health problems, the walls can go moldy which can release spores into the room. Wiping down moldy walls with a cloth soaked in bleech and rung out will help.

3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,629
    For about £80 from b&q I got a de-humidifier which over about 4-5 hours can pull 2 pints of water out of the air!
    You should also make sure you have air vent's and air bricks open and clear. First step it to make sure wou have ventilation in the house. Google for condensation in the house for tons of info, but an air vent and the de-humidifier did the trick for me.

4. CDR

CDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I'm also experiancing problems with damp/condensation.
    The only way I can cure the condensation is sleeping with a bedroom window on the latch, but its snowing outside so too cold (I have done for the past month).

The problem I have is I live in a rented property and already had the landlord out once to look at mold/damp and now its appearing elsewhere in the property, I dont want to sound like the annoying tennant that always moans so i'm stuck as to whether to tell the landloard or not! :(

5. WHUFC

WHUFC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Tell the LL its important for you and your health and him for the continued state of his property. Keeping the window open is better for your health anyway; fresh air! You could always purchase a dehumidifier?

ref damp & condensation is just down to too much heat and not enough circulating air, open the windows at the top of the house during the day and leave them ajar at night.

6. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    had the same issue in my sons room. I got some polystyrene veneer rolls and lining paper from wickes and glued them to the walls then painted. Made a huge difference in the room. I can not have cavity wall insulation as there is no cavity!

7. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I also had these problems after I had double glazing fitted in my flat, I now have a small window open a fraction in the lock position on the windows in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom, not had the problem since. I only notice a slight cold breeze on windy nights but nothing too severve.

It's mainly down to getting a good air circulation going as mentioned.