1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Currys...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SystemBlack, Aug 11, 2005.

1. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having my Sony DVD recorder GX210 for 6 weeks it developed a fault, it won't read discs at all. Put in an already recorded DVD (done on the same machine) and it says "cannot play disc" and promptly ejects it. Put in a new, blank, DVD R and it does same. Put in a disc of any film or tv prog eg Stargate Series 1 and it does the same.
    Took it back in as new condition with all packaging (even down to the wire ties) and they won't swap it for a new one. Sorry but it's been over 28 days they say and will have to go for repair. I quoted the Sale of Goods Act and requested a new one and not a repair but they refused. I knew I shouldn't have bought anything from the Dixons Group but I was desperate to replace my Philips DVDR75 and took a chance anyway. More fool me.
    I am in correspondence with them at the moment and will post the outcome. So much for customer service. Barstewards. Never again. :mad:

2. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    Why do you think you have the right to a new one (though preferable)? They have to be given the opportunity to put it right!

3. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the fact that you told them It developed the fault after 6 weeks means they're within their rights not to offer you a replacement.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I think the SAGA law has been changed and now someone is entitled to a replacement up to six months after purchase. The retailer now needs to prove the item is faulty.

Have a look at this page to see if it helps (Q13 particular)

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

5. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep I read that before, it seems SystemBlack could still try get Curry's to replace the unit, it probabably just wasn't a good idea to volunteer the information that the fault occured over a month after sale.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Up to six months - the onus is on the retailer to prove the item was NOT faulty at the time of sale. After six months, the onus is on the customer to prove it was. Either way, if it was (proved to be) faulty at the time of sale, you have the right to a refund, replacement or repair AT YOUR OPTION (not theirs).

Take a refund. Always. Insist on it. Threaten the store manager with Trading Standards if they are awkward. They have no grounds for this attitude (company policy or not).

Why? Because then you can buy a new one - even the same model if you like - but, importantly, your warranty, and these time limited legal rights start again if you buy new; they don't if you have a repair or replacement.

7. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I think anyone with half a brain on these forums wouldn't buy from currys if their life depended on it. Shockingly bad service and company :lesson:

8. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    Has anyone tried these new rules and made them stick??? I doubt it

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    If somone has it on paper from a reliable source then surely they have to?

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Like I said - threaten them with Trading Standards. Usually works. And if they still won't budge - go down to your local Trading Standards office and get them involved. That pretty well always works.

These aren't new rules. You have always been entitled to a refund for defective merchandise.

11. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have no doubt at all that a Court would uphold them. I was quite prepared to use them against Sound and Vision until they lost my TV (and hence had to refund).

S48 of the Act is unequivocal in it's meaning and LV246 has it spot on. The best bet every time is to demand a refund.

12. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With reference to the statements by NWGarret and LV426 which are perfectly valid.Currys are entitled to send off the equipment to ascertain the nature of the fault - they can't verify the fault any other way.Should the fault be due to a manufacturing problem the device will be replaced or refunded.
    Believe it or not there are individuals out there (SystemBlack is excluded here and in no way am I accusing anyone here of doing this)who will have no hesitation in dropping something they no longer want down the stairs and attempt to get a full refund.This is bad for all of us as it drives up prices.

13. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where I live, we have Currys and next door to it is PC World. Provided the customer is in the "dinlo" bracket, their sales staff can earn a good living.

Ever heard the sales talk? "Interested is this one, sir/madam? I have one of those at home ... they really are good!" The lies they tell really are good at times! Not much farther from home is a small computer repair shop with just 3 men working there. Much better service, and they don't treat you like a kid. The only thing you don't get is a car park the size of a football pitch.

If you do want to buy from a big store, try Argos or Comet. The same goods are that little bit cheaper. Sorry, Dixons and Currys, but it's true.

14. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    People do gripe at Argos but eveything I've taken back to Argos within it's warranty period has either been replaced if still on sale or refunded/offered an alternative if t's not, with no quibble whatsoever, if it's within either 16 or 30 days, can't remember exactly, you have the choice what you want to do, even down to an 11 month old £5 kettle. I was given it's newer model and 50p I only took it back as a bit of a laugh as I found it's box with the receipt in it.

I had trouble with a Matsui video years ago saying it was missold as a hi-fi machine when in fact it was one of the old linear stereo models. I had so much hastle and gave up and ended up with it that I vowed never to use any company associated with the dixons/currys/pc world group. Their adverts still p*** me off big time.

15. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will get your money back - the law says so - curry's of course have the right to establish it is in fact faulty

16. john249

john249

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to shopping towns near to me. One is about 11 miles away and the other is in the oppersite direction, which is about 7 miles away from me. There were two dixon stores. One in each town. They have now both shut down.

In the 7 miles town there were also a Currys store and I have now realised after going to this town that the currys store has also closed down.

It looks like this company is shutting down quite a few stores.

17. chris45

chris45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. mpw2081

mpw2081

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    i am having same problem with a philips dvd recorder that stops recording when it wants, opens disk tray without prompting and turns it's self on. i have written a letter to comet with regard to problem requesting money/refund within 14 days under slae of goods act 1979 (as ammended) :smashin:

19. JF1980

JF1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Q7. Do I have to produce a receipt to claim my rights?

No. In fact the trader doesn't have to give you a receipt in the first place so it would be unfair to say that you had to produce one. However, it might not be unreasonable for the shop to want some proof of purchase, so look to see if you have a cheque stub, bank statement, credit card slip etc., and this should be sufficient.

Interesting...

20. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Or if you know the date get them to check their computer records, a friend of mine did this when he returned a DVD player as Currys were playing difficult. In the end he hung around asking to see the supervisor, who eventually looked at the computer records for that date. Lo and behold Johns order was there, how they knew I forget, he got a full refund but no apology.

21. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I cannot praise Currys enough for the treatment I received at my nearest branch.

We bought a kettle from them which developed a fault after nine months, not only did they replace it immediately without question, they issued a new receipt dated from that date, effectively giving me a guarantee lasting 21 months from the date of the original purchase. Six months later the replacement kettle developed a fault, I was given the option of a full refund, a replacement or change it for a different model, this was the option I chose. The new model was cheaper than the original, so I was refunded the difference between the original and the replacement.

And guess what, a new receipt dated from that date.

I cannot criticise any company that has treated me that well, I am at a loss to understand why other branches would operate a different policy.

My son has recently started working for another of the companies within this group and said that as far as he knows the way I was treated is company policy. I assure everyone that this story is the truth and that I do not have any interests in trying to promote them.

22. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have to say that the title of this thread says it all. I am so sorry for anyone that suffers in the hands of DSG Retail (Dixons/Curry's/PC World).

I had a terrible time with these idiots when a Panasonic TV I bought was classed as faulty within 14 days of buying it - I then had all sorts of problems trying to get it picked up/money back - it was an utter utter nightmare and I would urge anyone reading this to please, please STEER CLEAR OF DSG Retail.

I almost ended up taking them to court over a few matters to do with the tv, but after one hell of a fight managed to get my money back and the faulty set picked up. AND, AS I SAY, IT WAS WITHIN 14 DAYS!!!!!!

They also lie. They have a "price promise" whereby if you can buy the same item within 10 miles on the same day they will match the price etc.. Well, I found the same tv set in a neighbouring town 8.4 miles away and they told me the way they travel to this town is over 10 miles! I asked them how they come to over 10 miles... they told me they use the AA/RAC Website routefinder online. I used this, comparing the Currys postcode to that of the alternative, cheaper retailer to find it was 8.4 miles. Went back and threatned them in front of customers that I would take them to court for blatently lying. In the end, I couldn't be bothered - most staff in the Curry's store I shopped in only seemed to have half a braincell so it was a waste of time trying to communiate with them. I think I would have had better luck talking to a bunch of monkeys in London Zoo to be honest.

Anyway, yes, as you can gather, I HATE DSG Retail with a vengence and please, please - steer clear of them !

23. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    i have had a completely different experiance. i purchased a Toshiba 28" TV - Panasonic ES10 and a Digifusion FVRT200 on sunday from chichester - when at my inlaws.
    I had a problem with sound on the TV - I found the nearest branch crawley and called them they replaced the TV.
    However, this TV had a picture fault - took it back and they replaced again.
    Today had the problem with extlink and recording on the DVD - again Crawley nearest with an ES20 - having read reviews here of known problems decided not to get same model - they changed the DVD no problem.
    So i was happy with the service.
    Although the manager did say, they should have tested the TV's and should have sent an engineer out - the type of service Comet provide where they buy the warranty - i would never buy from comet again had loads of issues and problems with washing machines and dryers - comet have no idea on customer service.
    back to currys - I called there headoffice and complained about said manager - they said with28days no problem on refund or exchange and they did reserve the right to ensure they equipment was faulty.
    Lets hope nothing else goes wrong and they start to act as posted - that will be another store to avoid, leaves me with john lewis, who I have had good service from but they did not have any of the TV's available - otherwise I would have purchased from them as they give a 5year service

24. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Efat

Well, sounds like you have been quite lucky so far - it will, however, be a different story if anything goes wrong AFTER the 28 days, beleive you me - so I have my fingers crossed for you.

Why is it, though, that Curry's also seem to sell a lot of "faulty" or "wrong" equipment? I know that other retailers can suffer from this to some degree, but Curry's do seem very poor with products. My tv (and I had 2 x Panasonics - brand new from Curry's - developed faults within 14 days)..

My grandparents this week (despite ALL I told them!) bought a 32" CRT Samsung tv from Curry's this week - from the same store I had all the problems with - and guess what? Not only have Curry's delivered them the WRONG model (it is a lower spec) but they say they now cannot find any stock of this particular set in the country and have said if they want to change the set, it will have to be the display model !!!

Errr... I think not Curry's !!!!! I wouldn't touch a brand new product from Curry's with a barge pole, let alone a ex demonstration showroom model that is on constantly and no doubt suffers from magnetism patches and filthy cabinet!!!! I have told my grandparents they MUST demand their money back - which is something Curry's by law MUST do - they have, after all, given them the wrong tv - and, as I say, a lower spec one at that.

What did they used to say "Curry's - No worries"???? No wonder they changed that tag line !!!!!!!!!!!

25. campione4

campione4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I TOO HAVE HAD A REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE WITH MY LOCAL CURRYS STORE IN BURNLEY LANCASHIRE. I RECENTLY PAID £500 FOR A PANASONIC TX36PL32 362 WIDESCREEN TV,WHICH WAS OUT OF STOCK. IT WAS PICKED UP FROM THE STORE 2 WEEKS LATER. THE BOX THAT IT CAME IN WAS TOO BIG TO FIT THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR,SO I HAD TO TAKE IT OUT OF THE PACKAGING ON THE FRONT STREET. AFTER ONLY 8 WEEKS HE TV IS NOW MAKING LOUD CRACKLING NOICES AND SWITCHING ITSELF TO STANDBY ALL THE TIME. WHEN I CONTACTED THE STORE THEY DIDNT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT EXCHANGING THE GOODS UNTIL AN ENGINEER HAD BEEN TO LOOK AT THE GOODS. THAT TOOK 4 DAYS,WHICH MEANT NO TV ALL WEEKEND. I WAS NEVER ONCE OFFERED A REPLACEMENT SET UNTIL MINE WAS REPAIRED. THE ENGINEER CAME AND THE SET NOW HAS TO BE TAKEN AWAY FOR UPTO 28 DAYS. ONLY THEN WILL I FIND OUT IF THE GOODS CAN BE EXCHANGED. STIL NO REPLACEMENT OFFERED UNTIL THE REPAIR IS COMPLETED,WHICH NOW MEANS NO TV OVER CHRISTMAS. THE STAFF AT BURNLEY HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT RUDE THROUGH OUT THE WHOLE SAGA. :mad: :mad:

26. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    look forward to the outcome and how you progress...really interested if sales of goods act canges anything.
    They did go to great lengths to explain to me what the process would be should it fail after the 28days, in three different stores across south UK, Chelmsford, Gatwick & Chichester... did they not explain that to you???

I know with digifusion, if you contact there customer services and describe the fault, if they think its a faulty product and not user error, they will give you a replacement code to take to currys to exchange the unit..... as they offered this to me, when i thought the program guide was not updating following the freeview channel changes...

27. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    campione4:

1: There's no need to SHOUT at us.
    2: You are entitled to a refund. See the store manager. Do not take no for an answer. Involve your local Trading Standards if you can't get this result by yourself. Do not accept repair. Do not accept a replacement. Company policy is irrelevant and cannot remove your rights. Even if it was explained to you at the time of purchase.

28. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I always try to buy from John Lewis when possible.

Although they aren't the cheapest and I'm too busy/lazy to take up the never knowingly undersold thingy, you've got to take into account that in these days of mass-produced plastic, there is a fair chance something will go wrong.

I don't normally buy extended warranties, but at least when it's thrown in for free you can be sure that they are confident of the quality of stuff they sell.

I'd never buy equipment online again since I bought a DVD player from Scan who took 6 months to replace the faulty one - with one with a "Reviewers use only" splash screen and the sound went after a few weeks.

As for DSG / Comet - the staff are neither properly trained nor have any enthusiasm for the stuff they sell, and when things go wrong it is pretty hit and miss.

A few years back I wanted to play some NTSC videos, my VCR outputed as Pal/60 - and my TV had a locked framerate so they were unwatchable.

I saw an advert for Dixons with a Matsui 28" Widescreen with built-in On Digital box for something like £400 - which was a bargain at the time.

I normally wouldn't touch Matsui with a borrowed barge pole, but one of the magazines gave it the thumbs up - apparently it was a Grundig in Matsui clothing.

I wanted to get one - but only if it could handle PAL 60.

I spent a Saturday, going from Stratford to Wembley via Oxford St getting off the tube at each stop where I knew there would be a Dixons, spoke to everyone from the Saturday assistant to the manager, and none of them could give me a decent answer, though I did get a lot of bad advice, one manager even told me it was illegal to play NTSC videos in the UK!

I popped into John Lewis and the salesman told me that any of their TVs would handle PAL 60, but if I had problems they would take it back - I thought he was flannelling me, until I told him about the problems I had with my old set (which was only about 3 years old) and he knew right away which model I was talking about and why it couldn't handle PAL 60.

I was impressed! I've always tried to buy from John Lewis since, and * touch wood * not had any reason to gripe so far ....

Strange right enough how DSG always seem to have a lot of faulty stock. My other half bought a laptop and printer recently from PC World. The printer was missing a vital spring, causing a plastic rail to fly out in front of the print head, the laptop even had a sticker on the unit itself claiming to have a card reader, but that model doesn't have one!

We wanted to edit movies from our DV camcorder so it was essential to have a firewire port - I asked if the laptop we were looking at had one, and were assured they all had one. But when pressed, they looked at the back and found that none of the laptops we were looking at had one.

The assistants came to the conclusion that all we needed was a firewire to USB covertor cable, it took the manager to put that notion out of their head.

It was down to me to use my initiative and go and locate the PCMIA firewire card!

I couldn't remember the relative merits of +R and -R disks, from the point of view of editing home movies and sending DVDs to family - the salesman told me that they are all the same, the +R and -R is just branding. To be fair he through in a box of +Rs for free though!

Whilst paying for it, the woman at the next table was warning us not to buy anything from there because none of it works!

29. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You know, it's very interesting if you do a google search how many complaints and support groups even, that are directed at DSG Retail.

I cannot stress enough, again, to anyone reading this - if you are thinking of making a major purchase like a new TV/DVD recorder etc- please - do yourself a huge favour and avoid DSG Retail like the plague.

I don't know anyone who has shopped there who, if things go wrong, have had a 'pleasant' experience in trying to get it sorted out.

You have been warned !!!!

30. Flintstone2

Flintstone2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone suggest an alternative to Comet for the Pioneer 433h? I know there are lots of online places, do any have good returns policies? Even better would be a store I could travel to in a reasonable time (I live in Derby).
    Thanks for any advice.