Problems with connecting subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jakubikpeter, Mar 1, 2013.

1. jakubikpeter

jakubikpeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I am struggling with connecting used Bowers Wilkins PV1 subwoofer which I have just bought. I was reassured its working perfectly so went for it, however I didnt have chance to demo it in a buyers home cinema system.
    I dont have AV receiver here (at home I have Denon 2308), so I could connect is appropriately just now.
    However, I was hoping to connect subwoofer directly to laptop or TV audio 3.5mm out (only available line out connection I have, and both work well with my headphones) via RCA to 3.5mm jack connector and so try it that it works before I take it home.
    However, theres no sound at all. I have tried 2 RCA-RCA cables with mentioned 3.5mm adapter but no result. Subwoofers red light is on indicating that its on power.
    Should I be worried its not working or its the incompactibilty problem?

Thank you for any answer, I would appreciate any help it this.
    Peter
    Should I be worried about

2. jakubikpeter

jakubikpeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    64 views and no response so far...
    I would need to try to play BW PV1 on a proper AVR obviously to find out.
    Isnt there someone by any chance from Newcastle with receiver/amp, who could help me? I could bring subwoofer and try it on your amp. or receiver. I would be very grateful for that.
    Peter

3. jakubikpeter

jakubikpeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone who could explain why i cant play my supposedly working pv1 on laptop or tv 3.5mm jack connector? Or any other advice how to test its function without av receiver?

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    Unless the output of your TV is filtered so that it doesn't output very low frequencies (unlikely) then I don't know why you aren't getting any sound from the sub. If you are certain that the TV is an output (and not an input for a PC for example) then you may have a faulty sub.

However, the sub may have an autoswitch on which isn't being triggered by your TV's level. Or you may need to turn up the low level gain on the sub. If there is a manual over ride for the trigger try that (may need to check the manual or on line if they have a PDF of the manual on their website).

If you have no input to the sub and it is on, can you hear any hum from the speaker if you put your ear right up the cone (when the auto trigger is bypassed)?

5. jakubikpeter

jakubikpeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much, KelvinS1965 for your reply and advices.
    I dont think my TV is filtered, I have tried usual 3.5mm jack output (for headphones) by connecting RCA-RCA cable (tried 2 different) to female RCA-3.5mm connector. I have turned up the gain up and still no response. Also, when is sub on, I cant hear any hum.
    In the users manual there is nothing about auto trigger. But maybe I didnt look properly. Heres the link:

Owner's manual - User Guide - B&W PV1

Unlucky is that I cant connect it to real AVR right now to be sure its faulty and try to return it. I ma trying to find someone in Newcastle who would be OK with testing my sub on his own AVR but I dont know many people here and till so far havent found anyone.

Should I contact Bowers Wilkins customer line?

6. jakubikpeter

jakubikpeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem solved and subwoofer plays allright. The problem was with malfunctioning RCA-3.5mm connector, after replacing for other everything seems to work perfectly.
    Am happy and sorry to everyone for bothering, was getting paranoid after reading some horror stories on internet about buying faulty speakers from scammers.

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    Good that you got it sorted. I suppose if you'd waited until you got home it would have been fine, but I fully understand you wanting to check that it worked.

Now get home and enjoy it. :smashin: