1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with component input on Sanyo plv30

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rupert Bear, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following advice from others on this forum I upgraded my lead from s-video to component input to join my Sony 735 to the Sanyo plv30.

I was staggered at the difference. The chckenwire effect which previously was quite noticeable on scenes with snow or sky was eliminated.

BUT - on a large number of my dvds, the picture judders up and down when using the component inputs. The problem disappears when I revert to s-video.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Any ideas on what's causing it and how it can be put right ?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This indeed happens to me as well, I have put it down to not using the correct lead though. I am using a standard 3 way RCA lead meant for composite and audio L+R, the picture is much better but I get the jumping.
    I plan on getting proper component cable from somewhere but it all seems quite expensive. What length of cable are you using? I need around 9 metres!

3. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i also own a plv 30 and have had the same problem
    i was using a region 2 disc at the time but when i went back to region 1 it stopped
    i have a pioneer 606 and i am using an ixos av 172 component lead can anyone please shed some light on this?

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Correct me if I am wrong, I have read somewhere that component is for ntsc only.

Tim

------------------
    You are not Jadzia....Jadzia has gone to Stovacore

5. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    From my limited info, I thought that progressive scan works only with region 1, but I thought that using the component input would provide a better picture with both regions. Is this correct?

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I think you're confusing this with DVD players not being allowed to output a progressive scan 525 line signal (as opposed to 480 line) because the macrovision system hasn't been agreed yet.

There's nothing to stop a projector (or an external device such as the iScan Pro) de-interlacing (i.e. converting to progressive scan) a 525 line signal, other than the technical limitations of the device.

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Liam's got it.

NTS, PAL and' I'd guess Secam etc can all be sent by S-video, composite or component.

The thing to remember is that both interlaced and de-interlaced (progressive) signals can be sent by component.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

8. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does that mean there is a problem with the component input on the Sanyo PLV-30? I hope not because I want to feed one with a progressive component signal from a Pioneer DV-737.

9. Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

At least we've established that this is a common problem and that it's probably not a case of faulty equipment.

I use mainly R2 discs - some are fine, others have the juddering. It's not simply a case of R1 v R2.

The length of my lead is 5m.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions on how to put this right.

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The problem you are all describing is caused by our old friend (fiend) Macrovision.

Composite and S-video input signals are filtered when entering the PLV30. This gives nice stable pictures. The original specification for Component didn't include Macrovision, so there was no Macrovision filtering built in to early PLV30's; hence jittery pictures. However, this isn't the end of the story.

This jitter only happens with certain players, and to add to the confusion some R1 modifications remove the problem too. So, even if you have an older PLV30 you might not be affected by Macrovision jitter.

There is no definitive list yet, but so far I have found the following players work OK:

Rotel DVD player
    Sony 735
    Sony 7700
    Pioneer 737 (Hardware mod)

I am sure that contributors to this forum will help us build up a list of affected players.

Now, the solution.

Firstly, ALL PLV30s shipping to dealers have a new circuit installed to cure this problem.

We are working with Sanyo on a fix for those older PLV30s that suffer Macrovision jitter. As soon as we have complete information I will post it here. I will also make direct contact with dealers to let them know to proceed.

Those of you affected by this situation will be keen to see it resolved as quickly as possible. However, until I have a solution from Sanyo please don’t ring your dealers. They’ll just ring me and I’ll spend all my time answering their questions instead of finding the solution.

As soon as there is a solution, you’ll see it here.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed the jitter only on one r2 dvd so far and it happened in one scene only. I have a region 1&2 capable sony 7700

Thanks Chris for the reply

12. Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

Many thanks for the reply.

I have a Sony 735 and it is not OK for all discs. Last night I tried out loads of discs to see if there was a pattern as to what worked and what didn't. Basically R1 are OK, MGM R2 are OK, Columbia Tristar R2 and Warner R2 all suffer from jitter as did various other R2s.

Is it possible to disable the macrovision on the Sony 735 ?

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My denon DVD1000 has a hardware MOD for multi-region which also disables macrovision. So how come I still get the jitter?
    If my Sanyo will have to go back to the dealer to be modified then maybe they can sort the dead pixel out too!
    I bought it from Wedgwood but the delivery note was from OWL Video, so help me out Mr Frost!

14. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Floyd,
    Please would be nice. Thank you very much.

Dealers often request us to ship certain products directly to site. In this case it would appear that we have been asked to send a projector to your home.

This does not imply that Owl sold you this projector. Your contract of sale is with the vendor - in this case Wedgewood Computers.

As I posted previously, we at Owl are working with Sanyo to find a solution for component input jitter. As soon as we have that solution I will be happy to post the details here.

Again, I would ask any owners who have PLV30s affected by this issue NOT to contact their dealers yet, and PLEASE DON'T send the projectors to OWL.

Sorry to shout, but one person has already sent his projector to us. It will sit on a shelf until we have a solution, and this particular owner will be without his machine for some time.

Keep your projectors until we have a solution. I hope this is clear.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

15. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Timo & Rupert Bear,
    You are both welcome.

Keep the information about affected discs and player coming. It will help us build up a pattern.

Rupert Bear, perhaps someone in this forum can answer your question about disabling macrovision in the Sony 735.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    Soz m8, I didnt mean to sound ungrateful, and I realise my contract is with Wedgwood.
    Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
    THANK YOU

17. ragegames

ragegames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for being offtopic, but the salesman in my local shop said I could derive a component output from the RGB on a scart socket. Can anyone tell me if this is trueIs this true?

Thanks

Peter Johnson

18. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Under normal circumstances a SCART won't give component out. It isn't part of the SCART socket wiring specification.

Rumour has it that Arcam are planning to wire the SCART on their DVD players to give component out. Of course, that only helps if you intend to buy an Arcam DVD player.

However, watch this space. There may be some news shortly about an RGB to component convertor.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silly me! I didnt realise that I had to manually turn off macrovision from my DVD player mod. Since I have done so there is no more jumping!
    I seem to be getting lip sync troubles though, its very slight and I seem to be the only one who can notice it, so it might just be me.
    Could it be possible that a region mod could cause lip sync trouble? or maybe the fact I'm not using a proper component cable? could this be a high resistance cable producing the delay?
    many thanks

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that the answer to stop the judder - to turn off macrovision.

How can you do this? In the DVD player setup menus?

Thanks

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A little off thread but does anyone know of a component to RGB converter I can use to feed a RGB Scart (sub £100 decent quality)? Never one to do things the conventional way!

22. talkron

talkron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, had not time write it right, the HK DVD1 is having only scarts

23. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought macrovision was disabled automatically by a manual mod. I have a paragon mod on my Sony 735 and can tape to vhs if I wish, did it as I thought it was the only way to tell if macrovision was disabled, am I incorrect in this thought?

Any comments

24. talkron

talkron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Harman Kardon DVD1 , the component output(Y,Pr,Pb) is mentioned in the user manual . I wanted know...is this the real thing or simply misteke...but nobody can aswering it(by Harman servicesthey simply dont know)...i very seriously thing abaut the sanyo