Problems with Colin Meloy record / turntable setup - sample recording inc.

Cheeze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm having some (potential) issues with my turntable and was hoping for some advice.

Short question - have you got the Colin Meloy sings live record as per here (no I didn't pay that):

Sings Live [VINYL]: Colin Meloy: Amazon.co.uk: Music

If so, have you noticed a buzzing/distortion on much of the vocals? I have uploaded a recording I took from my record player but my website is playing up - I'll post again when it works.

I have also downloaded a couple of digital downloads from itunes to compare, and they do not have the problem. I don't think this necessarily proves something though, but am willing to be told otherwise.

Right longer question, my kit (some recent and as a direct result of advice from here! Still meaning to revisit the original thread and feedback on my thoughts, but needless to say it's fairly stunning):

Rega planar 3 turntable
Rega fono mini phono stage
Rega brio 3 amp
Monitor audio BR2 speakers
Good enough interconnects/wire

I've recently bought this new record and am noticing a buzzing/distortion on the vocals. It's very noticeable to me on my main system and I can't track down whether it's an issue with the record/recording or my setup. I haven't picked up on anything like this on other records I own...

Today I had the cartridge replaced and fitted by a dealer with this issue in mind. The distortion remains, so I guess the problem lies with the record or with another aspect of my setup.

Any ideas what could be causing it, assuming not the record?

Thanks so much for any help

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Assuming you are talking about a vinyl album, and not being able to hear it, it could simply be a bad pressing. Sometime bubble or other irregularities will form in the vinyl during the pressing process. But, it is hard to say what the problem is -

- could be a dirty stylus
- could be a dirty or damaged record
- could be a damage stylus
- could be your turntable adjustment is out of wack
- could be a bad recording, or bad mixing

I don't think we, as yet, have enough information to make a determination.

Steve/bluewizard

Normally his is a sign of a dirty stylus (or damaged stylus), or other serious mechanical setup issue, but would hardly be limited to a single LP. All of this can be checked by your dealer.

Please identify the cartridge. The Rega Fono Mini is an MM head amp with a maximum input level of 65mV at 1kHz (the Fono is MM/MC and supports 100mV), so I'd just like to check there isn't something wrong here. Again, this would affect all LPs.

Thanks for the reply both, and sorry for the slow come back to the thread. I eventually confirmed that the issue was with the original recording rather than record/turntable. I was able to listen on another tt in my setup, as well as another one in a shop with headphones and the slight buzz was consistent. I don't believe it was the record itself because it was a double album, and had the same issue on both disks, so unlikely to be a random pressing issue...

Thanks again for your thoughts

Were you able to get the LP changed. I guess this a problem with the stamper wearing out at the edges? Any idea who makes the pressing, I guess this is a digital recording pressed on vinyl.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom