Problems with Chromecast via Onkyo AV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by itm, Jan 12, 2016.

1. itm

itm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have my Chromecast (v2) plugged into my Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver, which in turn is connected to my Samsung UE55ES7000 TV. When I cast something to the Chromecast the receiver switches to the Chromecast input, but I usually just get a screen full of grey interference on the TV. I need to power cycle the receiver to get the correct output from the Chromecast.
    I raised the issue on the Chromecast Google product forum, but was simply told that plugging a Chromecast into an AV receiver is not supported. i.e. it needs to be plugged into the TV.
    If I plug the Chromecast into the TV, then cast something to it, the TV will switch to the Chromecast input but I get no audio because the receiver does not switch to the TV input source. Any ideas for how I can get around this?

2. nabob

nabob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    There should be no problem plugging the Chromecast into the receiver. In fact it is the only way you are going to get the full capability of the Chromecast like surround sound for example. Is the output of the receiver into the selected input on the TV when you see this problem. With a Receiver you should only be using one input to the TV and it should stay on that input unless you are using the tuner in the TV

3. itm

itm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes the TV input is always set to the AV receiver source. I only ever switch sources using the receiver. Well, until now it seems.

I agree that plugging the Chromecast into the AV receiver is the only way to get the best audio from it, but the guys in the official Google/Chromecast forum seem quite happy with the fact that the Chromecast doesn't officially support this.

I should add that the setup does sometimes work. It usually fails if I do this:
    1. Casting something to the Chromecast (successfully)
    2. Disconnect from the Chromecast
    3. Select another source from the AV receiver (e.g. TV or PVR)
    4. Try casting something else to the Chromecast - this is when it will usually fail.

It's as if the receiver permanently loses its connection to the Chromecast when you stop casting something and switch the receiver to a different input. The only way to get it back seems to be by power cycling the receiver.

4. nabob

nabob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Have you got HDMI CEC switched on for the receiver. My Chromecast is connected to my receiver and as soon as I start casting the Chromecast sets the receiver to the correct input. I always disconnect the Chromecast using the phone app before switching away from it when i start casting again the chromecast will again switch the receiver to its input. Unfortunately I am using the same TV but a different receiver so it might be an issue with your receiver.

5. itm

itm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes I have the "HDMI Control (RIHD)" option enabled on the receiver. The receiver does ALWAYS switch to the Chromecast source as soon as I try to cast something, it just doesn't (usually) output any video or audio from the Chromecast if I've previously cast something to it and subsequently disconnected.

6. nabob

nabob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    The only alternative I can offer is to plug the Chromecast into the TV and use the Optical out of the TV to plug into your AVR to get sound. This is unfortunately going to involve you having to switch both the TV to the Chromecast input and the AVR to the TV optical each time you want to use it. I have never heard anyone claim that the Chromecast is not meant to be plugged into an AVR and everyone I know with an HDMI equipped AVR uses it this way.

7. itm

itm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah I already have the optical out from the TV connected to the receiver. I was hoping to avoid the extra step of manually switching the receiver whenever I cast something.

Here's the response I got from the Chromecast help forum when I report this issue there:
    Google Groups

"Chromecast does not support the setup you describe"
    Hard to believe, but nobody argued with it.

8. nabob

nabob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Here are a couple of additional suggestions.
    Do you have a passthrough facility on your amp and are you using it. This avoid any Video processing and just switches it straight through to the TV.
    What power source are you using for the chromecast. If you are getting the power from the usb on the back of the AMP replace this with the supplied power source.

9. itm

itm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The "HDMI Through" option on the amp is set to "Auto". For some reason this option is not editable.

I'm using an independent power source for the Chromecast - i.e. a plug in the wall.

10. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Well I am using the v2 Chromecast via my amp without any issues at all so for them to suggest it's not supported seems a cop out to me. Using a yam 2050 amp and it works whether I have the amp switched on or not I. E. The amps pass through works fine with the Chromecast. I would check your input settings and cec settings on the amp. All I can say is I haven't suffered any issues at all by using mine plugged directly into the amp.
    Would just add the Chromecast v2 is the best £25 ever spent (yeah got 5 squid off at currys)

11. itm

itm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The HDMI menu on the Onkyo seems to have two relevant options:
    1. HDMI Control (RIHD) - I have this enabled, allowing the Chromecast to automatically activate the associated source on the receiver when something is cast to it
    2. HDMI Through - this can usually be set to one of the receiver input sources, but if HDMI Control (above) is enabled then the HDMI Through setting is always set to "Auto"

I don't see any other settings which seem likely to help :0(

12. lallolu

lallolu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was searching for a thread with similar problem to mine. and I found this.
    I have been usingthe 1st gen chromecast for a while by connecting it to my Pioneer amplifier which in turn is connected to an LG TV. It has worked well since I bouht chromecast one month after it was released. Howver, sometime in December of January 2016, I started having problems when the chromecast is conected. The amplifier changes mode to AV/SAT by itself instead of the HDMI port it is conected to. I change it back but it automatically goes back to TV/SAT It makes the other HDMI ports unusable as well. Everything goes back to normal if I disconect the chromecast from the amplifier and connect it directly to the TV.
    I believe the problem is a firmware update pushed out sometime in December or January.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  13. nabob

nabob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Are you using ARC " Audio return Channel " between the TV and the AMP. It sounds like the tv could be setting the AMP using the ARC capabilities with CEC. I cannot see how there could be a firmware update problem when not everyone is having this problem. I have seen no problems with my Chromecast at any stage with the type of problem you are describing. There is typically only one HDMI port on the TV that works with ARC can you try using a different input on the TV from the AMP.

14. osibk

osibk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not to open new thread I will write here.
    I did a firmware update on my TX-NR555. I got Chromecast built-in feature. But I do not get it how to connect to it. AVR is connected with cable. From the phone and Chromecast supported apps I do not see anything related to AVR. Do I need to have real Chromecast connected to the AVR? I do not see any point in that. I could not find anything on the Internet regarding this.

15. nabob

nabob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    if Chromecast is built into the AVR then if you select an app on your phone that has casting capability and select the cast button on the app it should connect automatically. You do not need to plug anything else in. The phone will take care of everything.

16. osibk

osibk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this feature came with the latest update. I guess needed hardware was already built in.

That was my thought also but it does not work.

Onkyo | TX-NR555

17. osibk

osibk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It works only if you connect AVR over Wi-Fi. But it works very lousy.