1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with capturing from Sony DCR-HC14E

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by driesel, Aug 31, 2004.

1. driesel

driesel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm trying to capture my footage from my Sony DCR-HC14E using USB 2.0. With the included Picture Package software I manage to view my video and audio using USB Streaming. But I can't get my footage on my harddisk using USB. I've used NeroVision to capture, but it gives only a blue continuous screen with no sound. I do have to put the camera on "Player" mode, right? On the camera USB straming is eabled. Or is FireWire the Way to go?
    Anyway, please tell me detailed how to get the footage of my DCR-HC14E to my harddisk using USB or FireWire. What settings to use on my PC or cam?
    USB or FireWre? Etcetera ... just tell me please, I'm desperate ...

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Hi driesel and welcome to the forum.

The new camcorders with USB connections are causing a lot of confusion for people wanting to edit the video on their PC.
    USB cannot be used to capture full quality video to the PC. You will need to get (if not already on your PC) firewire. You can get these cards from the likes of eBuyer for around £10 and this will also include a 4 pin to 6 pin cable for connecting the cam to the card.
    You will also need editing software. If running Windows XP then you have the free Movie Maker from Microsoft. Get on their web site and get the free update to MM2 and you will have a very good bit of software to get you going. Full instructions on this software can be found at www.papajohn.org

Connect the cam
    Put it in VCR mode (or whatever its called)
    start the editing software

The software will detect the cam and everything should work from there.

Mark.

3. driesel

driesel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, Mark.
    I didn't know that I needed FireWire to edit, but I wil get a card as soon as I can.
    I have a switch on my cam to choose between "off/charge bat.", "camera" or "player". I s "player" the equivalent to VCR on my cam?
    greets,
    Dries Vervoort

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, I would assume it is.
    It is probably called VCR mode on my cam as I can capture back to tape from firewire or AV, therefore the cam is working as a VCR!

Mark.