1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with calibration in big room.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mark Ward, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Now I'm officially in my new HT I'm having to make some calibration compromises that I'd like run by other, more knowledgeable members.

With 12,500 cubic ft there is a lot of space to fill with sound.

I am no longer able to calibrate to 85dB and have settled on 80dB where most of my speakers need to be on +6 or +7 to achieve this.

I typically listen at -10dB (off the calibrated 80dB remember)

I have a Lexicon MC-1

My Current Front 3 are Celection A2s with an A4C Bi-Amped with Rotel 991 200W RMS THX Power Amps

My Sides are Celestion A1s and Rear are some large Kenwoods right now from an older HiFi I had lying around. Sides & Rears are power buy a single channel each from a Rotel 1075 5 Channel THX Power AMp.

All speakers are set to Smalls(80)

I have 2 Servo15 Subs

The sound is actually very good and seems to fill the space very well. I am wondering whether I'm causing any un-due pressure on the kit or losing any detail by running the system at these settings?

Thanks for any input/advice,

Mark.

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I left the front speakers on 0, then just calibrate the others to the same level, actually I ended up with the surrounds higher...

They where calibrated by ear for DPLII, wich is what I listen to more often...

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That sounds like to good idea! Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Any other tips out there?:)

Mark.

4. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    12,500 cubic now that is big, are you using a internal test tone form the processor or a tone from a DVD like AVIA.

If it is an internal tone then it is 75 db to calibrate to reference, if it is AVIA then it is 85 db to reference.

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm using the Lex's internal test tones. I have always calibrated to 85dB using them and they've been pretty well around +1 to +2 all round.

I've recalibrated to 75dB and at the same time moved my subs to outside the mains in each front corner. (Previously double stacked in left corner.

I've messed up my sound, it's all flat and undynamic. But that's how we find when we've got it right isn't it? Will try something else later on.

Thanks for help,

Mark.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere, and fully agree, that, you should place your speakers simetrically, so the peaks and nulls, beeing opposite, compensate each other, the same applies to the subs, so I find placing them behind each front speakers produces a more even response...

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, Udo Zucker said that because the dual sharc have more processing power, even if you don´t use it, it will work with less stress and sound better...

So I assume that the less processing you ask from your sharcs the better they will sound... in order to achieve this, I have all distances 0, all speakers same distance, so no time delay processing, and all speakers and subs on 0 volume too, (except the surrounds)...

Of course I cannot do direct comparison, but it can only improve the sound... :rolleyes: