Problems with Audio DVD on my Denon 2200

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pugger, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought The Flamming Lips Yoshimi DVD. Its has sound option giving stereo sound and also a full 5.1 option. When I set it to out put 5.1 the DVD player is doing so but my amp only reconises it as a digital stereo image. The amp is a panasonic XR45 and its connected to the DVD player via an optical cable. When I play movie disk the amp alway picks up the 5.1 signal no problem. Is there some setting I need to change?

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226
    DVD audio doesn`t work through the digital connection, Your amp needs to have a 6 channel analogue input then you connect the 6 phono outputs on the back of your dvd player to the 6 ch input on the amp.

The dvd player does the decoding for dvd audio !

3. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Carlos, would have never worked that out.

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Its all in the Manual............:nono:

5. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226

Who reads manuals :confused: ;)

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Er, chris? :D

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Silly me...........yea, what was i thinking.......:cool: :laugh:

8. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have problems with DVD audio also on my Denon 2200.

Tried my Sting album which came out beatifully, using all teh speakers and some lovely effects where the instruments blend in and out from different places.

Then I tried a classical DVD-A. Nothing. It came up with a menu asking if I wanted multi channel or stereo so I chose multi channel. I have made all the 6 channel input RCA connections from the Denon into the Yamaha. No sound at all.

Manual? Well they ofetn tell you what the buttons do but the language is often so bad that you have no idea what they really mean or, worse, why you would want to do the things they say.

So I looked at all the settings on the Denon menu but couldn't find an obvious answer.

Maybe I need to tell the Yamaha receiver to expect the 6 channel input, but if so why does the Sting album play correctly?

At least I bought it from a BADA dealer and they are normally very helpful, but if anyone has worked this out I'd be interested. I thought I had a resonable knowledge of how to work this sort of stuff but all these new features, settings, types of connection, different video and audio signals- why can't they make it easy to use? :confused:

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    What happens if you play it in stereo.......????
    If you cannot hear it, then maybe the player does not like the disk.
    If you can hear it then you are prob still listerning via the digital connection.

Most Amps/Recivers can auto detect DD/DTS/PL/PLII...etc.... but i dont know of any that can auto detect the 6 channel Ext.in.
    You norm has to press a button to select it.

10. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried to play it in stereo yet- I'll have a go tonight.

What perplexed me was that the Sting one played OK without selecting anything other than the Play button. However it has since occurred that maybe I was actually listening to it through the optical lead and the amp may have been using Dolby Prologic to create the effects.

The player did seem to accept the classical disc as it gave me the options, just heard nothing thereafter.

Ill make another post if I make any progress as it might help others beacuse its certainly not obvious to me what you have to do.

The Amp is a Yamaha 630 which is itself quite hard to fathom at times!!

11. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Depends on the DVD-Audio some have a Dolby soundtrack as well as the advanced high resolution soundtracks on the same disc. Perhaps the Sting disc that you could hear was playing the Dolby 5.1 soundtrack & the classical disc doesn't have a Dolby soundtrack on it.

I think with Denons if you have the analogue connections to the amp you have to select in the menu options Audio (as opposed to video) so that it auto detects DVD-Audio discs. it is something like SETUP>ETC (Other Options)>& make sure the player mode is in Audio NOT Video (don't worry even if set to audio it will still automatically play your DD & DTS movies thru the digital connection) & of course make sure that on the amp you are selecting the multi channel analogue inputs when you want to listen to DVD-Audio.

12. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks vonhosen, I rechecked all the settings and made sure they made sense. I then found a small button on the Amp which was labelled 6 ch input (its not on the remote unfotunately) and that did the trick so I am now happily listening to the other DVD-A. Trying the Sting disc again you are absolutely right- that started playing in DTS format but I have to admit that it was just as good as the 6 channel sound although the bass was a little too heavy from the sub. The main benefit of the DTS signal was that I could put it on a matrix 6.1 setting so the rear centre is used which on the 6 channel input is silent- its even more enveloping that way.