1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Aspect Ratio.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by busterboy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. busterboy

busterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having bought a Sony KV32 FQ75 from John Lewis back in June 2001 with a 5 year warranty I was well chuffed.. :)

Up until 2 month ago it worked very well with no problems until the Aspect Ratio started wavering from either 16.9 to 4.3 or literally anything it chooses without anyone touching it.. :rolleyes:

NOW!! John Lewis (Sheffield) have been wonderful and got Jones Of Oakwood in Leeds to send an engineer to fix it today (Min £45 call-out) which of course will be paid by JL.

I was out at work when the engineer rung me on my mobile (from my house phone) to say it was normal for TVs to change in this way, to which I replied it has never done this before and was unwatchable at times because of the distraction it caused, It changes about every ten to fifteen seconds which of course drives you mad.. :mad:

This is happening on the same channel (not changing channels) and even watching a DVD from start to end.. :rolleyes:

He has left reporting no fault with the TV and taking his £45 which I get back from JL..

Can somebody bring me back to normality re-assuring me that this is not a common thing to happen which he says it is.. :suicide:

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    busterboy

No, this doesn't sound normal. How are you watching the picture i.e - via analogue or Sky/Freeview, just out of interest.

Obviously, I presume you have the "Auto Format" setting on, but no - this should not really change in this way in the way you describe - especially as you say it's been fine for a year.

For example, I have a Sony (CS70) which I bought only recently. I watch most tv via Freeview. I have Auto Format on. When flicking through the channels the format will change from "Wide" to "Smart" (on channels that broadcast 4:3/or you can have it set to auto vertical black bars left and right of the picture to watch 4:3 as you should do). Are you saying that whilst leaving a channel say on BBC1 for example, it switches ratios and you keep getting "wide" or "4:3" appear in green lettering and the picture keeps changing...???

I know sometimes broadcasters can accidentally switch the wide flag on/off but it sounds like this is a fault and you should, of course, pursue this.

Paul

3. busterboy

busterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul.

I had Auto format set to ON but did indeed turn it off to try it, but no difference was found so I turned it back on again.. :(

I am hooked up and watching through sky and it never had this habit of changing until a month ago.. :rolleyes:

If I hook my DV Camcorder up to the SV or composite it still does the same trick.

I get no text (or green lettering) but just picture changing aspect ratio constantly which of course it shouldnt be doing IMO.. :suicide:

For instance watching Sky News any scrolling text on the bottom of the screen will be visible then dissapear as the ratio changes..

If I change aspect Ratio manually and set it on the remote, it does indeed change to whatever I change it to but alas the same problem still appears. :thumbsdow

4. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    If the TV is switching ""It changes about every ten to fifteen seconds which of course drives you mad.. ""
    This is not normal, it is common for people to have problems with auto switching.
    If you have just spoken to the engineer on the phone then it can be difficult to get to the bottom of the problem!
    Nigel

5. busterboy

busterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last word was he was going to get in touch with Sony to see if they had any updates or fixes for this model, but still insisted it was normal.. :boring:

He said if I wanted he would take it back to their shop and bench test it, but needed more staff to lift it into his van as lifting this was too much for one person, I do agree with him on this account, It is very heavy.. :eek:

I think this will be the next step.. :smashin:

6. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think we can definately establish that this is a fault if when hooking up your camcorder to the set and it still insists on constantly changing ratios...

Definately puruse this one

Good Luck

Paul