1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with AE700 and xbox : please help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by senseless, Mar 16, 2005.

1. senseless

senseless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Since a couple of days I am the proud owner of a Panasonic AE700E.

DVD's look excellent !

But I have a serious problem and I hope you guys can help me.

I hooked up my xbox to the Panasonic and games look just great in 720P. But when I run a game that supports only 480P the problem occurs.

The picture itself looks good, but it also displays vertical lines over the main picture, almost like a seperate layer :mad: . The screenshots clearly show these lines.

Does anyone know what is causing this corruption?

Thanks for the help!

Greetings,

Arjan.

Attached Files:

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Very curious, Ive never seen it that bad before. I would say the cable is at fault but as it works on 720P there is something else in the mix. Are you using the official MS component pack? The other ones dont make a scratch on the official one....

Finally I would try fiddling with the projector settings incase there is a problem with scaling or something like that, althought I couldnt give you any idea of what or where... :¬|

3. senseless

senseless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Curious indeed. I hooked up a second xbox to isolate the possible problem. This unit also displayed the green vertical lines.

Everything is indicating that there is a problem with the beamer itself. Is this a case of bad vertical banding?

I called Panasonic yesterday and made an appointment for next friday for a firmware update (the new 1.07). Maybe this will solve the problem.

I'm also going to arrange a different HD cable, just in case .

4. P0rkCh0p

P0rkCh0p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to add to this. I have my Xbox hooked upto an AE-700 via the official MS HD-Pack and DON'T get the vertical banding when in 480p mode.

A mate of mine has the same setup and DOES get the banding in 480p.

The only difference in the setups is the Xbox video chip. Mine's a 'Conexant' and his is a 'Focus' chip. http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions_1.php

I've also had the oppurtunity to try the newer Crystal Xbox model on my PJ and that also is fine at 480p.

It seems the case that 'some' Xbox's have this problem (stating the obvious I know). In my opinion it's definitely an Xbox thing, not the PJ.

Anyone else got any info/theories on this?

5. senseless

senseless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wierd, I thought all xboxes had the same hardware configs. To test it out I hooked up my brothers xbox and had the same result : banding. Maybe the same chipset.

The weird thing is that you are the first one confirming the problem. No one else seems to have this problem. I will try a few other xboxes next week to see if I can find one that doesn't display the vertical lines.

I hope the xbox itself is causing the problem, it would be a nice excuse to buy a second one :smashin:

6. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Why switch into 480P if 720P works? Doesn't the XBOX upscale everything to the preferred output?

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No the xbox will only output the highest it is able to without upscaling (so long as it has been enabled). It will not upscale stuff, the only things that can be upscaled at the moment are movies in XBMC (a program you can put on a chipped xbox).

8. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    So do you have to keep changing the output depending on the game or does it auto switch?

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It auto selects the best output available with your current settings and hardware,

10. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Senseless: Id be interested to hear if the firmware upgrade fixes your problem as I am porkchops mate whos having these problems! Ive tried other cables and hd packs but makes no difference. Ive seen a lot of threads from people having this exact problem on various forums with xboxes hooked up to various hdtvs. It definitely seems like an xbox problem tho. Ive resorted to just disabling 480p in the dashboard on mine.

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    PAL Xbox? I think MS changed some things in the video circuitry because PAL ones don't support HD, which means that when you hack it and HD enable it, it gives you green bars.

Mine does on my AE100.

If the Crystal one is OK, it sounds like maybe MS is consolidating production to cut costs, so newer owners might be more lucky.

12. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is no difference between a Pal and NTSC xbox other than the region setting it has in it. This is set very quickly as the motherboards are separated for different countries. The problem maybe that some xbox versions do not support HD aswell as others but they all work with it and should give you a good picture if set up right.

13. senseless

senseless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will posts the results as soon as possible. I also resorted to disabling 480P, but the colors are all washed out. I eventually reverted back to the old advanced SCART cable, which gives a better picture.

I still think it's strange 720P doesn't give any problems :confused: .

14. senseless

senseless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES YES YES :thumbsup:

Went to Panasonic today for the firmware update. They were very friendly and while I waited they offered me a cup of coffee and a hot chocolat for my little daughter. In 30 minutes the beamer was ready.

I just finished testing the unit with the new 1.07 firmware and all I can say... AMAZING! No more problems with the xbox at 480P and all VB problems are gone.

The Panasonic AE700E is a great beamer, just keep in mind that the old firmware can cause some minor problems with some people :cool:

15. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    where did you have to go to? And did you tell them first? You're the reason my precious projector has been taken away from me for almost 2 weeks now!!! ;) NOOO!

16. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thats awesome news that the firmware fixes this! Id given up ever trying to use 480p with my xbox. Where did you take your projector? Or who's the best person to contact about this? I'll drop them an email now and hope I hear back soon. Im very excited about trying it now! Cheers for the info :smashin:

17. jefcam

jefcam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the AE700 but mine is connected to a PC via vga cable. It was good for the first two months but now strange flashing pixels are showing up.

In my country malta there is no panasonic dealer. I bought it from singapore over the internet.

I am in a real mess!

18. senseless

senseless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the pj to the service center in The Hague (Holland). I just called them and said I had problems with the HDMI connector and wanted the 1.07 firmware. They acknowledged the problem and were all to happy to help me. I brought the pj myself and it only took them about half a hour.

Good luck with your firmware update. I hope it fixes your problem too!