Problems with a media player

Michael67

Novice Member
hi guys, I hope you can help.
So, I have a dune media player, I use a hdmi to Cat6 extender as the player is over 20m away. Once it arrives in my sitting room, it goes into a hdmi switch to my tv. Simple enough.
The problem is, recently the picture has started dropping, for about a couple of seconds, started about a month ago after several years of viewing. Then it got to the stage it made things unwatchable. I tried switching everything off, pulling cords, no dice. So I bought a new hdmi switch which is powered from the HDMi, I have also bought a new Cat6 extender, more expensive than my last one. I connected the whole lot up, and perfect, for a few hours, now the picture is dropping again.
What is weird, if I connect the media player to the tv without the switch, no problems at all.
Unfortunately I need the switch. My Panasonic Blu-ray recoder/freesat unit has never had a single problem.
I did get this issue with my PlayStation 3, which I haven’t used in a bit.
Anyone any ideas what could be wrong. I’ve now bought new Cat6 cable, and will replace my old cable but i’m Fairly sure that’s not the problem.

Any ideas, thanks in advance.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI 'handshakes' are fundamental to a stable connection between the Source and the Sink (Display) - any form of Switch or Converter complicates things, as can running over long cables.

What happens on screen when the signal drops?

Joe

Michael67

Novice Member
Hey Joe, it goes blank for about 2 seconds, and the tv loses connection. I won’t drops the signal for less than 2 seconds but it takes the tv a little to respond. What is strange is that it ran perfectly for a few years, then this started happening.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI Extender - which do you use?

HDMI Switch - which do you use?

TV - have you tried an alternative Input on the TV?

2 Secs drop out - is usually a good indicator that you have an HDCP issue, many Extenders 'fudge' HDCP to try and minimise support issues.

Heat could be an issue - it may the HDMI Input on the TV has an issue which only shows up after a period of running.

Joe

Michael67

Novice Member
Sorry for the late reply Joe, been one of those weeks.

Anyway, changed all the bits and pieces, see links below for what I bought. All working at the minute, from experience, i’m wondering how long that will last.

The TV might be a culprit, it’s a Samsung, about 4 years old, and bay far the worst tv i’ve ever bought, wanted a Panasonic, was stuck for cash, and it’s a disaster. Picture is amazing, sound is unintelligible even by thin screen standards, no manual for the screen is correct, they all have the inputs slightly different, one of the hdmi I puts went ropey after a year, total disaster. Panny or Sony for me from now one, should have waited and went with my gut as they say.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071F4Q1HX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HNY2QCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018M7F3MW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom