1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with a Denon DVD2800 and NEC 4210w

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by saifrivers, Feb 3, 2002.

1. saifrivers

saifrivers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased a Denon DVD 2800 to go with my NEC 4210w Plasma screen and was very excited to see the progressive scan capabilities but I am having a few problems...

I have had the player upgraded to multi region, when I select the player to run in progressive mode with a R2 disk I lose a portion of the picture, it drops to the left and down as if someone had pulled it from the corner, when it plays a R1 disk the screen strobes, in interlaced the picture is fine. The Plasma recognises it as a DTV signal (instead of DVD) but I think the fault may be at the screens end as I cannot find anywhere within the On Screen Menus to idenentify the signal as progressive scan (there is a screen that shows HD = 1035i or 1080i but no values displayed with a "p").

Do you have any ideas as to where I might be going wrong??

Your help in this matter is much appreciated

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saif,

I have had a little time to look through the manual and it would seem that the only formats accepted by the component YUV input is 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1035i all @60Hz; The HD Select menu option is only for selecting between the Japanese HighVision 1035i system or the USA 1080i HDTV system, the RGB Select option is for telling the display what type of image format is being input on the VGA type RGB connector.

Via the VGA type RGB connector both interlaced and progressive signals can be input such as most PC formats (640x480 and 1024x768 etc) and also video formats such as 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i. However, although PAL format is catered for via interlaced composite and s-video there seems to be no mention of 576p@50Hz or 625p@50Hz at all. I would guess from the spec that you could input interlaced 625i@50Hz into the RGB VGA connector from the interlaced RGB SCART output on the Denon.

The 4210w is designed for the NTSC and PC corporate market and so PAL compatibility is an afterthought anyway. The native panel resolution is 853x480 and all inputs will be scaled to that resolution (with exceptions: see page E50 of the manual), and because of the way the panel pixels are addressed, the image generated and the scaling process, all interlaced inputs are converted (de-interlaced) to progressive images to be further processed and displayed. So the image you are seeing, no matter which input is used, will be a progressive scan image.

Now whether or not you can benefit from using a progressive source like a Denon 2800 DVD player depends upon many factors, one of the most important being which device has the best quality de-interlacing processor, the NEC PDP or he Denon DVD player. I don't know what the processing in the NEC is like but I would hazard a guess that the Denon is the better of the two. However, and unfortunately, I don't think it is possible for you to benefit from any PAL (576p or 625p) output your DVD player might have. (The Denon 2800 doesn't normal have a PAL progressive output feature; a hack is required to enable that option mode).

The NEC PDP probably is designed to work with Macrovision copy protection systems used with NTSC and PAL interlaced signals but may have difficulty with the Macrovision system designed for the 480p signal.