1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with 5.1 Audio

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by davidja, May 8, 2005.

1. davidja

davidja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm fairly new to using HTPC - My set up is Intel 925 Board with onboard High def audio connected to my AV amp which outputs 5.1. The problem I get is the output is not 5.1, basically the sound is not dispersed through the relevant speakers.
    I have tried numerous DVD software players with the same problem. Power DVD offer an option however to upgrade to use more audio facillities. None of the other software offer any options.
    I also use Microsoft media cente edition that whilst allowig set up in 5.1 does not playback in 5.1. I've read a lot about codecs - though very confused, could that be whats wrong? Any ideas please.
    Thanks

UPdater - solved problem - installed full version of PowerDVD

2. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    davidja,

I have the same board but cannot get 5.1 sound. What settings do you use for Windows and PowerDVD (version 6?) ? Do you have the Realtek software? How do you connect the PC to the AMP - which sockets did you use?

Thanks

3. davidja

davidja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I came out of the Digital coaxial into my AV amp. I set it up through MCE going to the DVD sound settings which brings up the PowerDVD sound setup I selected 6 speakers but not the Prologic setting.
    Interestingly though I also use the Imedian software, this does not give the same options and it dis not work.

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Have you tried selecting spdif passthru?

5. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi,

you need to go into the realtek settings, i think they use soundman as the GUI.

Make sure that the speaker settings are set to spdif digital only (also try digital and analog spdif, from memory i found that i sometimes had to switch between the two depending on what play back software i was using, e.g PowerDVD,WMP10).

PowerDVD requires licence upgrades to get 5.1 and DTS audio.

It may be a good idea to get the AC3 filter (free codec) which solves a lot of problems and garentees a digital output! ( also set this up to use spdif )

Lisa,

spdif passthrough is when you have a digital input and output capable motherboard and you can pass, say a normal DVD player's audio through the PC ( into the PC then out to the amp )!

Regards! :)

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Oh right, that makes the passthru bit make more sense... but I have a toslink connection from my mobo to my 5.1 av amp and have all the settings set to spdif passthru and thought I had it working right - have I not?

I do use ac3 filter too, so anything in ac3/dts gets picked up by my amp correctly, and any movies/tv in stereo I set my amp to emulate 5.1 pro-logic, and for music I switch the amp into stereo - is this not usual?

lisa

7. davidja

davidja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice. Few points:
    I have two GUI interfaces the Intel Soundstage one and the Soundman. I am unclear which one I should use so I set the two of them. Can they clash with each other.
    Little unclear about using SPDIF, does that not refer to a type of output (socket) as I am coming out of Digital Coax into my Cyrus AV amp.
    Now I have problems I changing setting through MCE from 6 speakers to SPDIF. The Cyrus amp got confused and was flashing between prologic and prologic 2 - All I now get is a noisy crackling from the speakers and no sound. I tried going back to 6 speakers and although the Cyrus amp is not switching I still get nothing. I have restarted the machine and am now trying a full shut down to see if that fixes it.
    I previously upgraded to the latest version of Power DVD with all the sound drivers which originally fixed the problem - but only in MCE.
    Sorry I am a little unfamiliar with all this but it does start doing your head in.

Cheers

8. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi,

Lisa,

You are ok with what you have done, spdif passthrough will enable both input and output digital connections on your mobo, your amp is set ok!

You can have spdif or spdif passthrough, they both enable spdif.

davidja,

Sounds like your mobo is outputting digital and analogue audio at the same time and/or using more than one codec causing a conflict.

Use the Soundman as this should be your sound manufacturers default config software, check this and look for digital only output!

Is your sound chip ALC and what model no. is it?

I think you will benefit from downloading AC3 codec (solves a lot of problems).

If you still have problems then please post more information on your settings in possibly both audio applications that you mentioned, as well as you audio manufacturer information!

Good luck! :)

9. davidja

davidja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've tried everything - I get no sound from any device even basic Windows. It was fine before turning on SPDIF - even niow i've turned SPFIF off I get nothing.
    I tried installing AC3 but no difference.
    My set Up is an Intel 925 board with onboard (Realtek I think) HD sound 7.1 board.
    I have installed PowerDVD6 full version which is how I originally got the 5.1 to behave correctly through my Prologic amp. I selected the 6 Speaker option.
    There are at least two pieces of software to set up the audio. The intel and the REaltek, are these perhaps clashing - they did install as part of the original system so I assume they are meant to work together. THere is also the Speaker set up in the standard souds and audio set up in the control panel which I set to 5.1.
    Any ideas greatlt appreciated it is very frustrating. If you need further config advice please tell me where to look to get information.
    Weird thing is all was okay until I turned on SPDIF.

Thanks

10. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi,

Ok, AC3 codec needs setting up after install,

see post #2 here, http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210140.

Selecting 5.1 speakers etc.. enables the analogue jacks at the rear of your motherboard to output sound.

You can have analogue or digital not both via enabling just the hardware (ie, spdif or jack plg) you however should be able to have both through the spdif port using the soundman software and selecting spdif digital and analogue ( i have found that sometimes if it is a digital 5.1 signal, it may not work properly having this selected and therefore digital ONLY was used, this was due to the type of media being played ( analogue or digital audio).

Windows default sounds will be analogue, so digital and analogue is the most compatible setting!

What exactly are you using to connect your PC to your amp?

You need to check that all audio references are set to spdif and not speaker arrays like 5.1 etc.. in your intel, soundman, AC3 and powerdvd applications etc..!

11. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I have the intel 915 board and had a few problems with sound. When i built system i loaded drivers for motherboard in the wrong order sound drivers before intel drivers[i think] any way i got nothing for sound not even basic windows. I did a fresh install re-loaded latest sound driver from MSI site and after inputing my settings it works..Well apart from Theatretek which i get no sound from DVDs. Powerdvd works very well picks up DTS and DD no problem. I also use ACFilter Which i needed for Theatretek, this is the strange thing, :confused: i get 5.1 Dolby Digital when watching High definition stuff but nothing with standard DVD.
    My settings for acfilter are :Output 3/2 -5 channel, spdif Disabled, preset-left blank.
    On system page i have all ticked in left column and only AC3 in right [passthrough]
    Filter merit is Prefer AC3 filter
    and finally use Direct sound as default Audio render.
    Ensure you have your sound set right in your onboard sound software,select 6 channel spdif and 48htz [i am not absolutely sure about these because this pc isn't my new hcpc so until i fire it up i cannot get exact settings for you.

12. davidja

davidja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem resolved, I reset the cable at both ends and restarted the amp. All works fine now.
    The one thing that still confuses me is that now I have
    1. The Intel Soundstage utility - which I have set to Dolby Live (5.1 gives no output).
    2. The Realtek utility set to SPDIF output though speaker config to 5.1 (no prologic option)
    3. THe AC3 Also set to SPDIF.

Question is which one takes precedent.

Thanks for your advice