Problems- warning indicator flashing (Epson TW10H)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ewan, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I was watching a movie on te pj. When the movie ended I switched the pj of to go and make a cup of tea. Came back about 5 mins- switched the Epson TW10H back on. Then I noticed that it was not projecting and had a look at it.
    The warning light on top of the pj is flashing red.

I noticed last night the pj was getting very hot. Do you think the pj could be overheating maybe?

The pj is also making a sort of rattling noise.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not recommended :lesson: .

PJs should be allowed to cool down before restarting, for considerably longer than 5 minutes.

Hopefully it will be OK but you could expect premature lamp failure if you cycle it like that regularly.

:smoke:

3. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the same thing before even when it's been off for a day at least. If you unplug it at the mains and leave it off for 10 seconds or so, it should then be fine. Not sure why it does it though.

4. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies :) The pj seems fine today- but the think the bulk is burst :rolleyes:

5. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Interesting guys, I've had exactly the same problem. Not that I've been switching it on and off quickly but even after a few days, maybe even a week this has occured so it's not heat related. Besides the unit won't allow you to turn on if it's too hot or only been off for a min or two.

Anyway I reported mine to Epson and they replaced it under warranty - this is where the fun begins!!

The first replacement, not a new one, had over 20 dead pixels (stuck at green) so I phoned up and complained - they agreed to send another one.

The second replacement was appalling, it had dead (green again) pixels, it had a light "flare" in the top left corner, a red/orange "stain" in the bottom left and a scratched lens. Needless to say I didn't accept it!

The 3rd replacement (PJ 4 by now) had as many dead (yep, you guessed - green) pixels as the 2nd unit that I still had. By now my patience, free days off and good will had all but gone.

After many calls to Epson they said they would retrieve my original PJ repair that and do a pixel check. Should have been returned this Wednesday - when it hadn't shown up by lunch time I gave them a call - it wasn't coming. I told them the only time they could return it was this Friday PM, to which they told me they don't offer timed calls. After a short but concise call to the service manager they have just dropped my repaired (?) unit back.

Any bets on how long before it fails again? It's worth bearing in mind though, if you get a warranty replacement, I would have your setup ready to do a pixel check - these reconditioned units don't get serviced by Epson and all seem dreadful. I find the quickest check to be video black test card from DVE with the PJ in dynamic mode - shows those little green B*****ds up a treat.

Forgot to add, they reckon they've changed the lamp unit and perhaps the PSU.

6. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so it seems there is a fault with the Epson :cool: I'm thinking about sending mine back to the dabs.com.

Silly question-but how do you do a pixel check?

How long do the bulbs last on other peoples pj? So far mine has done 17 hours.

7. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pixel check - I personally use one of the "video black" test cards in Digital Video Essentials. If you haven't got DVE you may be able to check by having a very close look at either a scene that is almost/predominantly black or with the source deslected (this is not easy though as overall light levels are low).

My lamp was at about 100hrs when it went back.

Overall, (apart from the service) I'm happy with the PJ. It's got a cracking picture and excellent connectivity. Obviously it's a bit annoying people are now paying at least £200 less than me -but hey, someone's gotta buy these things new or they just wouldn't exist. (please just go with me on this one :lease: )

Regards
    Pip