Problems viewing Region 2 DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bunglebear, Jun 28, 2004.

1. bunglebear

bunglebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently in the process of moving to the USA. Where I have transferred all my home cinema stuff. The problem is I am using a multi region DVD player (SONY DVPNS705) connected to an RCA TV.

Using both SVHS and VIDEO inputs all my Region 2 DVDs come through in black and white. However all my Region 1 DVDs come through correctly. I think this is something to do with the PAL/NTSC.

Can anybody help me or do have to sell my entire Region 2 DVD collection!?!?!?!?!?

HEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Dave (Bunglebear)

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You either have a very old TV, and might consider a new one, which handles both formats, or I'm sure you could get a PAL/NTSC converter from somewhere like the US equivalent of Maplins.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    bunglebear - you have already worked out what the problem is.

Your TV can only reproduce the colour from NTSC sources. This is typical of US equipment, old AND new. They have little or no reason to support PAL video. In fact, you are fortunate that you get a picture at all.

There WILL be TVs on sale in the US that can support PAL video. Or.......a DVD player with component outputs, and a TV with component inputs, will probably suffice.

(For your info....in the US they tend to use component in preference to our more common RGB - the quality is the same, but the signal protocol is different). However, if you can find a TV with RGB inputs, this, too, will probably solve the problem.

www.avsforums.com is a US forum like this one; you may get some model pointers for US people, from there.

4. bunglebear

bunglebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nigel,

Thanks for your reply, somebody suggested buying a Pioneer DV 578. There reply is below : Is this going to solve my problem? Please advise Dave

Ideally, you should try to find a player that is capable of outputting PAL as PAL (i.e 576 lines @ 50Hz) and a TV that can accept such a signal - most CRT's in the States can't, but many fixed-pixel displays (LCD's, Plasmas, projectors) can. Failing that, get a player than can transcode PAL into NTSC faithfully, such as the 'cheap-as-chips' Pioneer - DV-578a (MSRP $199) - and have it chipped for MR, and you're good to go.

5. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi . i moved to detroit brining my region 2 collection with me . its not really a problem to find a machine that will transcode from pal to ntsc.i bought a jvc that has built in decoder and then i bought a mod chip to make multiregion.that said there machines such as the arcam 79 that will do same , the yamaha 540 will do as well as most philips and they only require a remote hack. don't expect them to play pal in progressive though.the internal convertors do a good job .i have a 50" rear projection and the interlaced pal picture is great.you could really cheap out and get a cyberhome from bestbuy that will do as the above for $19 ( cheaper than a new release disc !)

don't buy a maplin type product as they are cack.don't bring if you were going to a vhs player as they won't run due to 60 hz even with a step up transformer.

hope this helps.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    If you can, I'd avoid transcoding PAL to NTSC. Unless it is done with very costly studio-standard gear, it will involve some degradation of the image - i.e. the 576-line structure of PAL has to be degraded to 480 lines for NTSC, and the frame rate has to be upped from 25fps to 30 fps, which will probably introduce some jerkiness of movement.

Much better to get a display device that will support PAL in colour - or a combination of DVD and display that will handle a component video stream and supports the 576/50hz structure of PAL.

In other words - try to display PAL in its native state.