problems using tv link

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sinbad120, Mar 20, 2006.

1. sinbad120

sinbad120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been having all sorts of problems with my tv link. It worked originally and i could change channels on my sky + box using the remote whilst watching an alternate television. My mains ariel hadn't been connected to the sky+ box but when i introduced that the tv link stopped working. On removing the mains ariel from the sk+ box ariel in slot, the tv link worked again but only temporarily. It now doesn't work at all and i decided to exchange it for a new tv link today. The new one does not work either. Does anyone have any diagnostic tests I could try or any other advice. The LED light on the tv link is always lit whether the tv link works or not so it seems that the voltage is getting to the link ok. I previously changed the RF channel number on the sky+ box due to interference on introduction of the mains ariel but i have since reset it to the original setting in the hope of getting the tv link working again. I don't know if this is significant to the problems I'm having, i would have thought it should have had no impact,
    thanks again in advance of any help

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,568
    I once came across a similar problem in a customers house...in the end it was a fault within the digibox and Sky replaced it as it was under warranty.

3. mohoney

mohoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't get my magic eye to work. I tried pluggin it to the back of my sky box to test it and the light comes on. I also went into the services menu and turned the second one on. I have sky going to 4 of my rooms and the engineer must have used a splitter. Could this be the reason i'm not getting any power to it. Any help would be appreciated:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,568
    The 9v to operate the TVlink only comes from the RF2 outlet which must be turned on in the menu.
    If you have plugged it in directly to the RF2 and it lights up but doesn't respond to the remote it is either faulty or the digibox is faulty.
    If it works okay here but not at the remote location it could be down to the aerial amp/splitter not having digital bypass.

5. mohoney

mohoney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JayCee thanks for the reply. When i plugged it in the back of the Rf2 the light came. How can you test it with a remote control when plugged in? if that's not the problem will i have to change the splitter? and if so can you recommend any?:thumbsup:

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,568
    Plug it into the RF2 and point the remote control at it at the rear...make sure the remote sensor on the front of the box cannot "see" the remote signal by temporarily covering the front of the box with a towel, newspaper or something...try switching the box to standby or change the channel...if it works okay it proves the tvlink and digibox is okay.

There is a brand called "SLX" I believe, try the "Argos" catalogue or "Maplins", just make sure whatever brand you get has "Digital Bypass" or "TVlink Compatible" or similar in its specs.

7. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Other brands include Global and Televes.

One other thing to try, it could be your TV outlets blocking the power / IR rather than the actual splitter.

See if you can remove the faceplate and connect directly to the cable, does the led come on then?

YES - its your faceplate
    NO - it could be your tv amp/splitter or Sky box.

Chris

8. selector

selector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a similar problem where by the TV Link function is intermittent. I tried replacing the TV Link but I keep getting the same problem whereby it just stops working and the LED is off. Unplugging it from the socket and putting it back several times eventually makes it work.

One thing I am using is screened coaxial wallplates - could this be the reason?

Is the TV Link very sensitive to stray wires touching the inside of a wallbox and hence this is also a possible cause? My next step was going to check the wallplates as someone suggested.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts....

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,568
    A single strand of the coax braid touching the inner core will short the 9v supply and the led will go out.

10. alistaln

alistaln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181