• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problems updating TZ5

sussexmariner

Established Member
I'm trying to update the firmware for my TZ5. When trying to find out which version I have the screen is blank and according to the panny website means I have the old version.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/TZ4_5/index.html

I put the new firmware on my SD card, slotted it into the camera, it asked if I wanted to update, i clicked yes, so far so good! After about 3 seconds the screen went blank. now when I see if i have the new firmware installed the sreen is still blank

How do I know if the update has been sucessful?

Any advice most welcome!

late8

Established Member
did you try the first step after update to check if it worked?- does it say 1.2?. You have to have a picture on the SD card also.

sounds like the update went wrong- did you check the file size was exact?

akane_1984

Prominent Member
sorry to butt into this thread but I ordered my TZ5 today from UK Digital Cameras. Whats the recommendation of SDHC card to put in the camera, especially if you might be recording a bif of HD Video.

late8

Established Member
sorry to butt into this thread but I ordered my TZ5 today from UK Digital Cameras. Whats the recommendation of SDHC card to put in the camera, especially if you might be recording a bif of HD Video.

I use a standard ScanDisk 2GB SD card and was surprised to find that HD recording was fine. its not a high speed - just a normal SD card.

sussexmariner

Established Member
did you try the first step after update to check if it worked?- does it say 1.2?. You have to have a picture on the SD card also.

sounds like the update went wrong- did you check the file size was exact?

Nothing on the screen appears when I test which version of the firmware the camera has, so I assume it is the old 1.1

No matter how many times I try I can never seem to get the exact download file size 1,973,119

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/TZ4_5/index.html

I follow the instructions to a "T" but no joy! Is there any other way I can test to see what firmware version I have?

Scissorhands

Standard Member
Thanks for the info about PhotoME! You might have ended my frustration:

I had the same problem... BUT... apparently we might have the latest software version. Read the email below I sent to Panasonic for details. This might help anyone who has had the same problem! I am awaiting a response:

Dear Panasonic,

I recently purchased a Panasonic TZ-5 Camera. I have been trying to update the firmware, with no luck. Please read this whole email and then get back to me.
It states on your site that you don't need the new firmware version if:

"The firmware update is not necessary if the current firmware version on your camera is Version 1.2.

1. An SD Memory Card must include one picture file at least. Otherwise the firmware upgrade will not be implemented.
2. Set the camera's power switch to ON.
3. Set Playback/Recording switch to playback mode.
4. Press the button , while holding down the [E.ZOOM] button .
The screen shows ( )
VER: 1.1 ----- Camera Firmware version
5. Set the power switch to OFF, after checking this."

I have tried this, and it did not work, so I attempted multiple times to install the firmware. But then someone online told me that if I install a program called "PhotoMe" and open one of the panasonic pictures I took with my camera it would tell me the firmware version. WEll, sure enough.. PhotoMe tells me everything about the panasonic camera I have, and says I have "software version 1.2.0," which is indeed the latest firmware version. So why did the above test not work?? DoI have the latest firmware version?? Please see the info below which I am pasting in from the PhotoMe program,and get back to me, thanks... Daniel ps:here is the info below....

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
File name: F:\my pictures\11222008\P1000703.JPG
File type: JPEG
File size: 83.9 KB
Creation date: 11/22/2008 19:26
Last modification: 11/22/2008 19:26
Make: Panasonic (http://www.panasonic.com)
Camera: DMC-TZ5
Software: Version 1.2.0
Dimension: 848 x 480 px (0.4 MP, 16:9)
Focal length: 4.7 mm (equiv. 28 mm)
Aperture: F3.3
Exposure time: 1/30"
Program: Movie Preview
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Focus Mode: Auto, Continuous
Image Stabilizer: On, Mode 1
Noise Reduction: ±0 (Standard)
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

wonderloaf

Established Member
Hi Scissorhands, don't know if this helps but I just tried to find the firmware version on my TZ5 by using the Panasonic procedure but was puzzled as it didn't get displayed, yet I know it works as I have done this before....then I realised that I didn't have the display on so I could see all the picture information; time, date, resolution, etc. Once I had pressed the 'DISPLAY' button to rectify the situation the procedure worked fine, and I could see the firmware version in the display.

Could this also be your problem?

sussexmariner

Established Member
Hi Scissorhands, don't know if this helps but I just tried to find the firmware version on my TZ5 by using the Panasonic procedure but was puzzled as it didn't get displayed, yet I know it works as I have done this before....then I realised that I didn't have the display on so I could see all the picture information; time, date, resolution, etc. Once I had pressed the 'DISPLAY' button to rectify the situation the procedure worked fine, and I could see the firmware version in the display.

Thank you Wonderloaf the problem IS solved!!

After all the time and hassle I had trying to find out which version I had, I did as you suggest, Hey Presto, I do have the 1.2 version, my download was successfull after all!!!

Why does Panasonic not say press the display button on the instructions and save all this time and hassle for me!!!!!!

Last edited:

Scissorhands

Standard Member
Re...

Originally Posted by wonderloaf

Thank you Wonderloaf. You are my hero! haha... We should all email panasonic or call them and let them know to add this information to their page. I mean..."Duh!" What were they thinking by omitting the part about the display button. Geeeeez. hehe.

-Scissorhands

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom