• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problems transferring Mini-dv to sony RDR HXD890 via i-link

ronthart

Standard Member
Hi all,
Just registered with this excellent forum, and am hoping to get some advise on a problem I have recording mini-dv tapes.

I've purchased the Sony RDR HXD890 last week and am very impressed. Main reason for purchasing is to transfer video from my Sony DCR-TRV22E mini-dv camcorder and old Hi8 tapes.

The DVD recorder is connected to my Samsung LE32A559P LCD tv via HDMI, the mini-dv camcorder to the dvd recorder via I-link (firewire) lead and the HI8 to the recorder via S-VHS.

HDMI settings on recorder and tv are set to full HD 1080p. Playing a DVD on the recorder gives an absolute perfect picture.

The problem is when I transfer mini-dv to the hdd of the recorder. The edges of faces/hair are blurred/distorted (especially when filmed indoors) and also noticed vertical lines in the picture, mainly in darker indoor shots and red objects.

When playing back the hdd recording the quality has improved slightly, but is still noticeable.
When recording from HI8 to hdd the picture quality is fine.
I've connected the mini-dv direct to the tv via S-VHS and picture is brilliant.
I've also connected the mini-dv via S-VHS to the dvd recorder and again I have the same quality issue as via I-link.

I have tried different HDMI settings on both recorder as well as tv with no result. I have also tried connecting the recorder to tv via scart with still the same problem.

Sorry for the long description but just to show you that I've tried everything I can think of and to give you as much info as possible.

I hope someone has experienced this before (and found a solution :)).
Many thanks!

Ron

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi all,
Just registered with this excellent forum, and am hoping to get some advise on a problem I have recording mini-dv tapes.

I've purchased the Sony RDR HXD890 last week and am very impressed. Main reason for purchasing is to transfer video from my Sony DCR-TRV22E mini-dv camcorder and old Hi8 tapes.

The DVD recorder is connected to my Samsung LE32A559P LCD tv via HDMI, the mini-dv camcorder to the dvd recorder via I-link (firewire) lead and the HI8 to the recorder via S-VHS.

HDMI settings on recorder and tv are set to full HD 1080p. Playing a DVD on the recorder gives an absolute perfect picture.

The problem is when I transfer mini-dv to the hdd of the recorder. The edges of faces/hair are blurred/distorted (especially when filmed indoors) and also noticed vertical lines in the picture, mainly in darker indoor shots and red objects.

When playing back the hdd recording the quality has improved slightly, but is still noticeable.
When recording from HI8 to hdd the picture quality is fine.
I've connected the mini-dv direct to the tv via S-VHS and picture is brilliant.
I've also connected the mini-dv via S-VHS to the dvd recorder and again I have the same quality issue as via I-link.

I have tried different HDMI settings on both recorder as well as tv with no result. I have also tried connecting the recorder to tv via scart with still the same problem.

Sorry for the long description but just to show you that I've tried everything I can think of and to give you as much info as possible.

I hope someone has experienced this before (and found a solution :)).
Many thanks!

Ron

Welcome to the forum Ron.

My suspicion here, disappointingly for you , is that I suspect nothing is wrong.... and that what you are finding objectionable is MPEG encoding.

I do not have any detailed information for the technical approach used by the 890 but there is good reason for thinking it will follow in the path of it's predecessors as it is so similar in all other respects... in which case there is no advantage in connecting by DV in because all that does is immediately convert it to S-Video....so you may as well use the S-connection in the first place.

Then it has to [like ALL material passing through a DVDR] go through an MPEG encoder to make the recording compliant for laying on a disc.

This is where most of the damage is done and why it will never compare favourably with a direct connection to the TV ... as that is NOT going through an encoder.

I fear there is no answer here and you may have to accept it.
I take it that you are recording at an adequate quality setting ? [ The default and nothing less would be recommended ]

ronthart

Standard Member
Thanks Gavtech,

I record on camera at SP and on dvd-recorder at HQ setting (60 hrs on 160Gb disk).
The only thing I still don't understand is why (when using S-VHS) the quality of my Hi8 recordings record perfectly on the dvd recorder, but connecting the mini-dv via s-vhs gives the same problem as via I-link.
the only possible thing I can think off is that the compression used on the mini-dv camera causes interference with the dvd-recorder.

I've just transferred a recording to dvd for the first time and played on normal dvd player. the quality is very good, but not perfect (what I was hoping for).

I guess you're right in saying that it's probably not a fault, and have to accept it as it is.

Gavtech

Administrator
I record on camera at SP and on dvd-recorder at HQ setting (60 hrs on 160Gb disk).

So there should be no problem there at all.
The only thing I still don't understand is why (when using S-VHS) the quality of my Hi8 recordings record perfectly on the dvd recorder, but connecting the mini-dv via s-vhs gives the same problem as via I-link.
the only possible thing I can think off is that the compression used on the mini-dv camera causes interference with the dvd-recorder.

I cant remember the detailed specification of Hi8 but it was still an analogue format so in effect is only being digitally processed and encoded the once here. In the case of Mini-dv that is already a digital format albeit quite mildly compressed by today's standards but I dare say the multi-conversion is doing more damage...so I think you are probably 'barking up the right tree'
I've just transferred a recording to dvd for the first time and played on normal dvd player. the quality is very good, but not perfect (what I was hoping for).

I guess you're right in saying that it's probably not a fault, and have to accept it as it is.

Yes probably. Good luck with the transfers.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom