Problems surfacing with iPod Nano screen (Link)

Glad someone else spotted this. Been some debate in my office as to whether or not it's poor manufacturing or user abuse. Ho hum ...

oh so when the HD5 screen can scratch easily AND get dust under it, nobody cares. But when the Icrack gets scratches its front page.

There appears to be a big difference beteen the alleged problems with the Nano & the HD5 buttons.

When the HD5 controls crack, the problem appears to be entirely cosmetic.

When the Nano screen shatters, or quickly looks like it's been rubbed with sandpaper, distorting the images, the unit is no longer fit for normal use.

Of course, the problems are only alleged at the moment, may be limited to one or two small batches, or may soon be recified by Apple, with all faulty units replaced. Time will tell.

However, this does once again flag up the problem of having something so small.

All of the problems mentioned appear to have happened because people have been carrying the Nano in their jeans pocket. When a unit so small is created, people are bound to squeeze it into their jeans. The problem is that these pockets will be tighter on the unit than if it were sitting loosely in a person's jacket pocket, or hand held.

Unless metals and plastics are considerably strengthened, it will never be advisable to put a unit with a screen in your jeans pocket. Subseqently, creating a unit who's sole advantage is that it will fit in your jeans pocket becomes less desirable.

Steve W

My Zen Touch - big though it was - could be squeezed into my jeans' pockets. And you know what? Not a single visble scratch on the back or front in 18 months (my wife has it now - still not a mark on it). Proving that DAPs CAN be made from durable materials.

Well I've got dust under my screen stopping me from reading the writing properly, it is no longer fit for normal use, but meh who cares it doesn't have 'I' in front of it. Name it the IHD5 and it will be world war 3.

Sasso said:
Well I've got dust under my screen stopping me from reading the writing properly, it is no longer fit for normal use, but meh who cares it doesn't have 'I' in front of it. Name it the IHD5 and it will be world war 3.

I don't think we can seriously compare dust behind the screen of the HD5 with the kinds of problems alleged for the Nano. If your DAP concerns you so much, Sasso, isn't it time you sent it for repair under warranty? Or got rid and went back to MiniDisc for a bit while you wait for the fabled 5th Gen iPod?

Just a friendly thought, you understand? :)

lol i was joking...but i do get angry when the dust catches my eye.

Ill send it in under warranty just before it ends, then maybe sell it and see whats available. hopefully 6th gen Ipods (gapless and good sound and build in fuel cells that are tiny and last ages) and hopefully sony have woken up.

yeah i cant wait to see how big this problem gets, payback time. The screen is so much worse to have crack than buttons, so all i can say is HA :laugh: but crap thing is, apple will probably do something about it instead of getting emails that have the title "my buttons have cracked, what do i do?" and hitting the delete button.

Sorry I deleted this message as I had to check up on a few facts. Here it is again: Seems like it is compulsory for Apple to always lead the pack, regardless of which catogory they are leading. When Sony's players' buttons start cracking, and let's be honest, this must have been the gag of the year in the Apple offices, that silly man with the silly surname over at Apple decides to do better - why have cracking buttons when you can have your WHOLE FACE crack!! Sony paid the price for their expensive little excursion in cutting corners, now it is Apple's turn! I don't think the situation could have been more embarrassing!

Have a look at this --> http://homepage.mac.com/matthewdotcom/flaw/

That stress test some website did where they ran it over with a car was pretty useless since they should have done a few more gentle and common things first before they ran it over with a car, then they might have figured that they didnt need to run it over to crack the screen. Seriously, who runs over a mp3 player? I'd like to see a HD5 run over, it might even survive apart from a dent in the back and cracked buttons lol.

I can't beleive people are surprised by this. The iPod is a cheap product. It is made with low qaulity components, like cheap battery and poor quality plastic.

The Nano is no exception, and I'm hardly surprised.

My HD5 has a few scratches and some dust, but nothing major, and I don't really treat it that well to be honest.

JohnG said:
It's even being reported on the BBC now see here

I know! I find it kind of unfair. The slightest whim of a problem with an iPod, the UK's National Mp3 player, and the BBC runs a story on it to back it's users. When we were so hard-up for some support with the cracked button issue and tried to bring it under the attention of some technology magazines, nobody wanted to talk about it (re HD5).

Maybe it's time to start a new thread called: Any more cracks appearing in the Nano's Screen? he he... :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom