Problems Since Internet Explorer 6 Update

Monster

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope someone can help!

Here's what I did:

Browser automatically took me to Microsoft site and told me I should upgrade to I.E. 6 and install some security software updates. I did this.

Here's what has happened:
Whenever I go to a site that redirects me, the browser does not automatically go, I have to click on the hyperlink on the page that states 'click here if your browser does not automatically forward you or you do not want to wait'. It used to work automatically.

More importantly, I can't access any secure sites. I can surf normally until I try to enter a secure site eg banking or NetMail and I get the:

'The Page Cannot Be Displayed. The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). Etc etc etc...

I've tried going into IE 'Help' and 'About Internet Explorer' from the top menu and the system locks up.

I've been into control panel, 'Add/Remove Programmes' and tried to 'Restore Previous Windows Configuration' and tried to revert to previous version of IE and I get the message 'You cannot uninstall IE6 either the install information is missing or the information has been corrupted.

I've checked the security settings and set them to default but it still doesn't work.

Any ideas????

Please be gentle with me. So much for trusting Microsoft!!

:lease:

Please anyone!

Lots of viewings, no suggestions:( :( :(

If I put in the Windows 98 Setup disk and run it again, will I loose all my none windows files eg Quicktime, Photo's I've got saved etc?

I am at my wits end! The only thing left that i think i can try is to save all these files to a CD and then run the Windows 98 set up disk???

Try downloading IE6 again, or buy a magazine at a local Newsagents with IE6 on it.

You should always back up any important files before attempting a windows install!

I agree with the advice about backing up your files. However you can re-install Windows, without losing any of your photos or quicktime movies. But you will lose any other software that you have installed, and so you will need to reinstall these packages afterwards (eg. games, applications, quicktime player, etc.). But all document files should be fine. (as long as you don't reformat the hard drive, of course).

As far as internet explorer is concerned you should be able to download and install the latest version here.

I recommend you try the latest internet explorer, before resorting to a re-install of Windows.

Good luck.

I can't say i'm an authority on pc's by any stretch of the imagination but I had a similar problem to your's.When you went into add/remove programmes did you click on the repair option? I did this and it solved the problem

Thanks Guys.

I've tried repairing Explorer and it did not work. I've tried uninstalling IE 6 and it would not let me.

MikeTV, I'll try your link this evening and hope for the best!

Someone else has suggested I need to reconfigure my security .dll files. This involved typing 'stuff' at the Dos command prompt! Didn't work. He is something of a computer genious (designs and writes his own applications!)

I'll keep trying all the options until I get it working again.

If I have no joy, is there a way to go right back to basics, delete everyting and reinstall Windows 98? Does this involve reformatting the hard drive? Does this have its own risks.....

I'm finding this very frustrating...

Thanks again for your help.

You shouldn't need to re-format the disk when reinstalling Windows (or delete any files, for that matter). You should be able to just run setup, and then follow the on screen instructions. But I'd only do this as a last resort.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom