1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems setting up my turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by amy_oleary, Dec 14, 2004.

1. amy_oleary

amy_oleary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I know nothing about turntables but have recently happened upon a Dual 505-2. I have got a small record collection and would like to get it up and running and perhaps increase my record collection.

I was assured by the person who I got it the turntable from that it was working, however, I haven't had much luck and I'm not sure why.

Firstly, the turntable is german and although it had no plug on it I have put on a UK mains plug as I thought that german appliances have the same voltage. I have wired the brown wire to the live pin and the blue wire to the neutral pin.

I then plugged the turntable, using phono leads, into my Cambridge Audio A1 integrated amplifier's AUX/PHONO sockets.

However, the turntable platter doesn't turn when you move the needle across which leads me to believe there is no power.

I am also aware that I may need a separate phono stage, but would this affect the platter turning?

Sorry for going on, any advice would be really great.

Thanks,

Amy

2. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Amy,

When you move the arm over the record, can you hear the motor going round? If so, the drive belt from the motor to the platter has probably come off its pulley. You can get at the belt through the holes in the platter when you remove the rubber mat (if I recall correctly - it's been a few years since I've seen a Dual CS505). If not, have you checked that the fuse in the plug is OK. Also there should be a couple of transit screws visible on the top plate of the player, these should be screwed all the way IN so that the top plate is 'floating' on its springs.

Not having a phono stage won't stop the platter going round - however, if your amp hasn't got an internal phono section, you won't hear too much!

Hope you get your turntable working soon.

3. amy_oleary

amy_oleary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for your advice. I have screwed the transport screws in and the plate is now springy. I have also had a wee look through the sort of viewing hole in the platter and I can see that the belt seems to be intact and sitting in what looks like the right place.

I then tried the arm again and still no joy with the platter turning. I also can't hear anything, and it appears like nothing at all is happening. I tried changing the fuse in the plug also but no joy there either.

I only have 5 amp fuses, do you think it's possible that maybe I need a bigger one? Or do you think maybe the UK plug doesn't work on a german record player?

I am at a loss... Thanks,

Amy

4. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Amy,

A five amp fuse should be fine. Also as all EU voltage is nominally 230v, I don't see why it won't work. Do you hear a quiet click when the arm moves over the record? You should do, as that's the switch closing that should start the motor. Try moving the arm all the way to the centre of the record (gently as far as it will go) and then bringing it back to the arm rest. Then try again. It's starting to sound like you have a faulty turntable, I'm afraid.

5. GeorgeM

GeorgeM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amy

If I recall correctly with this turntable you need to move the arm away from the turntable to engage the motor.

6. amy_oleary

amy_oleary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help everyone, but still no joy. I guess I'll have to accept that it doesn't work.

Does anyone think it would be worth trying to get it repaired? Or have any suggestions on a relatively cheap turntable to buy?

Thanks,

Amy

7. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Amy,

I'm not sure it's worth paying too much to get your Dual repaired - it was a pretty good player in its day, but a long way behind the likes of Rega and Project turntables. It would be worth investigating a secondhand Rega planar 2 or 3 for instance, rather than paying money to repair your Dual.

Maybe as a last ditch effort to get the Dual working, it may be worth trying to open it up (maybe there's some screws holding the base of the plinth on that you can remove? Can't remember if there is or not) - WITH THE MAINS PLUG UNPLUGGED FROM THE WALL SOCKET. You may see that a wire has come loose or something like that that's easy to fix.