Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Problems setting up my E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by james616, Jan 12, 2005.

1. james616

james616

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Panasonic E55 and having trouble geting the setup right.

I have set it up as advised in the manual:

AV1 to TV

AV2 to Satellite

Aerial into "RF in" on the E55

"RF out" on E55 to "RF in" on TV

Previously I had a VCR on a dedicated channel (ch7) and then terrestial channels 1 - 5 and SKY on 6. Ideally I would want a similar setup with the DVD recorder replacing the VCR on ch7.

With the current setup all my terrestial channels are fuzzy and the only way I get good picture is by using the AV button on the DVD remote. Setup must be wrong as I can only record what I am watching!

Any help would be great.

Thanks

James

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I'm just wondering if you need the rf between the dvd and tv...keep tv tuned to av and change terrestial on the dvd not the tv?

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Turn off the RF from the E55 (if its on) though that shouldn't affect all channels.

With the E55 switched off then you should be able to watch satellite as before and have your analogue TV channels as before, if not something is wrong (cable) in your connections, the setup is ok.

With the E55 on then you should then still get satellite as before, make sure everything is set to RGB and you should be able to get the analogue channels from TV.

If your analogue channels are fuzzy with E55 switched off then it almost certainy your RF lead from E55 to TV causing a problem though it could be a fault in the E55 (less likely).

4. james616

james616

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. Turns out one of the leads wasn't connected - a fundamental problem you might say! :oops:

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you hold down the function button for more than 5 seconds you should get a menu to change the rf output frequency. It is probably too close to one of the existing channels.

You should never be watching a dvd recorder or even a vcr via an rf signal. The quality will always be worse than with a scart, you loose the benefit of auto switching, and of course the sound will be in mono, not stereo.

6. denis1501

denis1501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm using the E-65 and holding the functions button down for 5 seconds has no effect.........I certainly do not see this RF menu........
    regards
    D.

7. CJTheBrave

CJTheBrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Functions button being held down certainly works on the DMRE85, and if you do still have a problem James, there are instrucitons on changing the RF out channel on page 13 of your user manual for the DMRE55 (been peeping on the web!)

Errr Ken, sure, the picture quality will certainly be poorer, but sound will still be decoded into Stereo, Nicam etc not mono. Just as any analogue TV would be.

8. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To James616. When I set mine up three weeks ago I connected the aerial to Sky, then RF out to E55 and E55 to TV, this gave me the option I had with my VCR as described in your original post. Plus it allowed me to connect the spare output on the Sky box to my other TV sets.

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes of course it will be, but this stereo signal is then sent on to the tv via the scart. This is true of both dvd recorders and vcr machines. The machines do not have a nicam encoder so that the signal sent on via the rf when you are playing back a recorded program will therefore be in mono. The recording will have left and right chanels from the nicam decoding of the source signal, but there is no way to feed this on except via the scart or other output options except the rf out. It is the same with sky digiboxes, if you distribute the signal around the house with rf cable you only get mono sound by this method