Problems ripping DVDs on Sony VAIO laptop

SCOTTHUGHES74

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently been trying to rip a few of my dvds onto my Sony VAIO laptop (VGN-FW51MF) so I can view them on train journeys etc.

Mostly I have been doing so by importing the content via either Windows Live Movie Maker or VAIO Movie Story, and then joining the resulting files in Windows Live Movie Maker.

However, in a few cases, the imported files - although they will play in Windows Media Player - are giving me a scrambled picture (pixellation etc) and distorted sound. I've even tried using other means of ripping (Handbrake for example), but the problem remains.

Does this mean there is copyright protection on these discs? And if so, how do I circumvent this? Is there a better way altogether of quickly ripping DVDs on a VAIO? Any pointers gratefully received.

DVDShrink - free program but is now old so may not work with all DVD's
AnyDVD - faily expensive but works with every disc I've tried to rip. I use AnyDVD HD as I also rip BluRay's.
MakeMKV - free and also works with BluRay's at the moment (while in beta) and only rips the main film, not the menu and extras.

Forun rules allow us to offer advise with ripping your own discs for personal use only, but not to give any specific details on bypassing copy protection due to copyright laws. So although so far this is probably fine, please be aware that the forum moderators may need to prevent the discussion of certain things. There is a lot more details on the software I've mentioned and how to rip discs in the following section of the forum: Streamers & Network Media Players | AVForums.com - UK Online
There is also a well written dedicated guide to ripping thread in there: http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...hd-dvd-dvd-ripping-guide-media-streamers.html

Mark.

Thank you Mark, that's very helpful. I have tried using mkv, which converts the files into DivX+ format - but my computer doesn't seem to recognise that (even though I have the DivX+ Player installed).

The trial version of DVDShrink has worked with a couple I've tried though, so I might consider buying that.

MKV is a file container so could hold any of the main video formats.
If you use MakeMKV to rip a DVD then it does not convert the audio or video. So an MPEG-2 video file from a DVD will still be MPEG-2 inside the .MKV container.

DVDShrink is and always has been a free to use program. Do not get ripped off by paying anybody for a so called license for it as it is not required. I've been using it for years and have never paid anybody a penny for it.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom