Problems reinstalling Windows XP

Hooblue

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, any help is hugely appreciated!

The story so far....

I have an old laptop at home (HP zd8301ea) which I hardly ever use as I have a work one. However I thought I'd get it up and running again. I wanted to do a reinstall of XP as it had so much rubbish on it that it was slowing down.

Initially I wasn't having any luck reinstalling as when the system tried to format the HDD it said there was an error with the disk, and then it wouldn't boot Windows as the HDD was partially formatted. I took it to work and one of the guys used a disk from work, created a new partition and managed to install XP ok. All I had to do was reinstall all the drivers. I had the 'Application and Driver Recovery DVD' at home from when I bought the laptop, so I stuck that it and it went through and installed the required drivers. However, when ever I now go to open an application, I get the error message:

'The Application failed to initialize properly (0x80000003). Click OK to terminate'

When I click this it just closes the window and nothing starts.

This happens when I try to do pretty much anything on the laptop, like open a program, put a software disk in the optical drive, navigate around windows to things like the control panel etc.

It won't connect to the internet as I can't open IE, can't run iTunes or any other program. I've looked on the internet (using my other laptop) and tried various things like downloading a repair tool, but can't use it as I get the same error message whenever I try to run anything!

Any ideas what the problem is? :lease:

Download/burn Ultimate Boot CD.

Run the hard drive test that corresponds with the make of drive in your computer and if that doesn't find anything wrong with the drive try leaving it to run MemTest86 for an hour or two.

Assuming both tests pass all you can do is try reinstalling Windows yet again.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom