Problems recording with Pioneer-420H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shaneo632, Jan 15, 2005.

1. shaneo632

shaneo632

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the Pioneer-420H 80GB DVD recorder yesterday. Quality-wise, I'm very impressed, and the frame-by-frame editing is great, but I've got a problem with one thing.

I've recorded some music videos off of Sky, and I'm trying to burn them to a Datawrite 8x DVD-R, but when I try to play it in both my computer and my PS2, it's recognised as a blank disc in the PC and not recognised at all in the PS2. I'm somewhat concerned, as in the manual, it states "DVDs can be played on other DVD players", and this is a big feature of the recorder. Thing is, that the disc plays in my Pioneer player, but each time I've made an edit, it freezes for a second or so, as though it's reading the files off of the hard drive.

Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong? The media I'm using isn't one of their promoted brands, but it should still work. Any help is appreciated, cheers.

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will have an option to 'finalize' the disc

If you finalise it, it will play on other dvd drives, but you wont be able add any more recordings

3. shaneo632

shaneo632

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right, where does the option appear? I have a copy list, hit "confirm list", and then hit "start" and then it copies it, and at the end says "Copying is completed".

4. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    When you get the "Copying is completed" message you need to press the HOME MENU button on the remote control and then go into the Disc Setup menu option and select 'Finalize'. For more details see page 59 of the instruction manual.

5. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there's a lot of people here got one, but i'm not one (so i cant say where to find it) - but rest assured it's there somewhere & you will have an answer by tomorrow

6. shaneo632

shaneo632

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finalising a disc right now. Appears to have solved the problem. Thanks a million!

7. shaneo632

shaneo632

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more question - is there a way to create menus with the Pioneer, so that I could have, say, a bunch of recorded music videos on the menu and they can pick which one they want? Cheers.

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You record your videos.Say,hours and hours off one of the music channels.Go through the long recording divide the videos into individual segments.If there are more than one in a row you don't want to keep,leave that in one block.Once you have all your videos use the Navigator to delete any you don't want.The title each one.Then copy them to dvd in any order you want.Before you finalise the disc remember to title the disc aswell.
    As this will be a recording of indeterminate length,I would record everything in FINE,then use OPTIMISE and copy over in real time for maximum quality.Your finished disc will be a completed disc of separately titled videos

9. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to disagree, but I wouldn't do that.
    I mean, that would cause a re-encoding of video + audio. If this is for music videos than both are important as well.

I would say: if you want to have the best sound use FINE mode (you will get LPCM sound). You are going to be able to put 60 mins / DVD, wich should give you something like 15 music videos / DVD.

If that is not sufficient to you, use Dolby Digital 2 ch. Here you can have from 1h00m / DVD to 2h20m / DVD, always using full resolution, depending on the Manual Recording Mode you use.

I have recorded some music videos using SP mode, and that is suficient to listen to. It has no "CD quality" but it is reasonable.

Always High Speed Copy from HDD to DVD.

Hope that helps

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it depends on how long his recording will be.I'm not sure if he will want to record 80 minutes in SP mode then waste 40 minutes of a disc