problems recording while watching another programme

jack29g

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, ive joined the forum because ive recently bought a sony RDR-HXD890 dvd recorder but I am having lots of problems with the use of it. It seems very over complicated.

I have it connected to my tv as well as my sky box. What I want to do it record a programme on sky while watching another programme.

In the instruction manual it says: 'you cannot watch another pay-tv/canal plus programme while recording another pay-tv/canal plus programme'... I assume this rules out watching another sky programme while recording one. However I should be able to watch a terrestial channel.

I select a sky programme and start recording. Then use my normal tv remote to tune into a terrestial channel. However, if i turn my tv off, and then back on again, the sky channel is automatically displayed again.

I do not want this to happen.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

first thing to say is that you should have the sky tv output scart connected to the line 1 input of the 890 , not to the tv

then connect the line 3 scart output from the 890 to the tv av1 input

set everything to rgb widescreen

also turn off the scart control on the sky box

now set the recorder to record a sky program , and use the tv remote to select the tv tuner and watch normal tv

as long as scart control is off , the tv should stay on its own tuner and not revert to the sky input

basically , scart control is locking the tv to its av input and not its tuner , its got nothing to do with the new recorder

how do i convert everything to rgb widescreen? and what does this do?

you need to read the manuals and ensure that if you have a widescreen tv that you are using 16:9 widescreen settings on the sky box and the recorder and the tv

and use fully wired scart leads and ensure all the boxes and tv are set to send and receiver RGB ( RGB = red - green - blue )

this gives you the best picture quality

and the fact that the tv reverts to the av1 input and not the tuner is due to the sky box sending a scart control signal on pin 8 to force the tv to use the scart socket in priority over the internal tuner , hence the problem you described

so if you want all your problems fixing follow my instructions by reading and following your instruction manuals , that is what they are for , to set everything up correctly by following diagrams and instructions

Last edited:
I had set up everything correctly, it was just the scart control on the sky box that needed switching off in the end. Thanks for your help though.

One more question relating to my first post, am i correct in thinking it is impossible to watch another sky programme while recording one?

it is unless you have sky plus

Thanks. I also have another question. In order to do a timed recording, you have to use the EPG programme guide. However, the EPG only shows a small selectionof channels. Certainly not all the sky channels I have.

Why is this? and how can it be sorted?

The EPG is for the DVD recorder's own internal tuner - which is Freeview, not Freesat and certainly not Sky. The DVD recorder has no idea what is on Sky and when - because it has neither a satellite tuner or a slot for a Sky subscription card.

I thought this was the case, however it does show some sky channels that are not available on freeview such as sky movies and sky sports.

Last edited:
depends which epg you are using , as there are two

there is the guideplus epg carried on itv1 on analogue or eurosport on sky which carries more channels than just freeview

or the freeview epg which I use which only carries the freeview epg and not sky

so decide which epg you wish to use , and if its guideplus use the manual and their website to set it up according to your wishes

Sorry to bring the problem up again, but it has returned.

Honestly, I did everything you said and adjusted my setup and that seamed to work. I could turn off my tv on a terrestial channel and when i turned it back on it would still be on that channel.

However the problem has started once again. at the moment the channels are like this when i flick through the AV options on my remote:

AV 1 - sky channel
AV 2- sky channel
terrestial channel appears when i press the AV button for the 3rd time.

AV 1 - sky channel
AV 2- sky channel
terrestial channel appears when i press the AV button for the 3rd time.

For the above to be possible you must have 2 scarts connected to the sky box - one going directly to the TV - which is not in the instructions above.
[ This is assuming you are referring to the TV remote operation]

You only require the scart coming indirectly from sky via the 890.

What TV Model do you have?
With some modern TV's it is possible to configure a setting which determines whether the TV will switch on to a TV channel or an AV input.

apologies, you were right. however, now i have the system correctly set up, I am not getting any sound on sky channels.

apologies, you were right. however, now i have the system correctly set up, I am not getting any sound on sky channels.

This probably means you have disturbed a scart lead.

Ensure that all leads are fully pushed home. Vision but no sound is a classically caused by a skewed scart plug, typically the 'tail' on the lead outlet side being slightly pulled out.

Ok, now have sound and I now dont have anything appearing on AV 2, however the problem still remains that when recording, if i switch to a terrestial tv channel, turn the tv off and then back on again, it automatically switches to the sky channel.:confused:

Ok, now have sound and I now dont have anything appearing on AV 2, however the problem still remains that when recording, if i switch to a terrestial tv channel, turn the tv off and then back on again, it automatically switches to the sky channel.:confused:

You've not told me the TV model.

sorry, its a sanyo, on the instruction lealet it has 3 models: C21ES57NB
C25EP57NB
C28ER57NB

You can determine if this switching is caused by the TV making the choice at switch-on, or whether it is being commanded to switch to an AV channel by temporarily disconnecting the scart into the TV... and then switching the TV ON.... after having switched the TV to a channel before turning off.

If if comes onto an AV channel then it is getting a scart control signal from either the 890 or it is being fed through from sky [ but I understand that scart control has been switched off on that? ]

Other things that may impact on this behaviour and have produced the change in recent times: Whether the 890 is on or off when you turn the TV on ... similarly the skybox.
Lastly which mode the 890 is toggled to according the the TV/DVD button.

In the meantime I'll see if i can find out anything about the TV.

I did what you said to test whether it is being commanded to swith. I turned the tv off with the scart disconnected and the tv stayed on the same channel.

I did what you said to test whether it is being commanded to swith. I turned the tv off with the scart disconnected and the tv stayed on the same channel.

OK. The manual does not appear to be available online for this TV.

Given your test, the TV is getting the command to switch from the incoming scart.

To test if the command is from sky or the 890 you could disconnect the scart incoming to the 890 from the skybox [ the top scart]...If the problem remains it is being generated by the 890.

... but what about the other variables I mentioned earlier ? ... of the boxes being On or Off when you switch the TV on.

Is this something that may be different from when you got rid of the problem a few weeks ago?

My expectation would be that whenever you have the 890 on, it is going to 'grab' the TV.

Given that this behaviour has changed recently , the most likely explanation is that you have changed the mode using the TV/ DVD button on the 890 remote... and that you are now in DVD mode.

If you press that button once more you will go back to TV mode - so the command line should only be activated when you press 'play' etc.

Ah problem solved, it was because i was on the dvd mode.

thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom