Problems recording from panasonic dvd recorder

mollie38

Standard Member
Hi

I have a dvd recorder and I am having problems getting it to play back it records ok but when I go to play it back I only get the sound . I am using scart sockets I have a sony bravia tv virgin media hd box and a panasonic dvd recorder

Can soneone please help as I have tried for days to try and get it working.

Regards
Mollie

Gavtech

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

Can you say which model this is? ... and are you able to monitor the output when not recording and confirm that a tuner picture is present?

Are you trying to record from the vigin media box or using the internal tuner of the DVDR?

Last edited:

mollie38

Standard Member
Hi

Many thanks for your speedy response.

The model of the dvd recorder is DMR-ES-10EB/EBL everything was okay until hubby decorated and moved everything and when he put it all back dvd wouldnt workhe has set it backup like this

Virgin box tv scart to tv scart 1
dvdr scart 1 to tv scart 2
virgin box scart to dvdr scart 2 and then select av2 on the dvd recorder not sure if this is right or not

Regards
Mollie

Gavtech

Administrator
Virgin box tv scart to tv scart 1
dvdr scart 1 to tv scart 2
virgin box scart to dvdr scart 2 and then select av2 on the dvd recorder not sure if this is right or not
Hi Mollie.

Switch all units on. if necessary select the scart input on the TV so that you can see the output from the DVDR.

Now select AV2 on the DVDR as the input. Can you see the virgin output ? Both picture and sound.

If not, the most likely explanation is that one of the scart plugs of the lead that goes from the Virgin Box to AV2 of the DVDR [ bottom scart] is only half pressed in at an angle.

Also check for the same problem, with the other scart lead in the DVDR which goes to the TV.

In scart plugs, all the connectors for video are at one end and all for audio at the other, so a skewed plug can produce this symptom.

Report back if this does not solve the problem.

mollie38

Standard Member
Hi Gavtech

Just checked the av settings on the tv not that they make any sense to me are these what you mean

AV3 output.........AV1
AV3 input............Video
AV4 input.............Video
AV5 input Component
RGB Mode DVT

Regards Mollie

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Gavtech

Just checked the av settings on the tv not that they make any sense to me are these what you mean

AV3 output.........AV1
AV3 input............Video
AV4 input.............Video
AV5 input Component
RGB Mode DVT

Regards Mollie
Errr No :)

According to your earlier information, you have the DVDR output connected to the TV into the TV's AV2 scart. So in order to see the DVDR you need to have AV2 selected as the input on the TV.

You have the virgin box connected to the DVDR into the AV2 scart of the DVDR , so in order to be able to see the virgin box through the DVDR [ which is what I want you to test ] you have to select AV2 as the input on the DVDR

To do so, using the remote, use the channel up/ down buttons and go backwards through the channels 4,3,2,1 etc and keep on going.
You will then cycle through the various AV inputs ... You want AV2 .. which will probably be indicated on the display as 'A2'

In that condition you should be able to see if you have both picture and sound from Virgin displayed on the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom