1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems putting taped footage onto pc

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dpc, Dec 30, 2004.

1. dpc

dpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all can anyone give me some help please?

I have a panasonic nv-gs200 and am having major problems trying to put the footage onto my pc so then I can burn it to cd.
    I have read the manual several times and have tried using windows movie maker after downloading it but still am having problems. I don't know what I am doing wrong?
    I am using the supplied usb connection kit and have downloaded the drives etc and still no luck.
    As a very green person I need someone to explain what I am doing wrong in very basic language.
    thanks one very frustrated camcorder user!!

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You need to connect via firewire *not* USB.

USB is OK for moving still shots from camera to PC , or for webcam use but for full res video you need firewire.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Camcorder manuals have a large section missing - the bit that tells you about firewire. I don't know why they don't put it in, but as vonhosen said it is the only way to get full quality DV video onto a PC.
    If your PC has a firewire port (aka ieee1394, iLink, DV port) then great you just need to get hold of a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. If no firewire port on the PC then get a PCI card and this should include the cable. Card & cable around £10 or about £7 for just the cable from somewhere like Ebuyer.

Mark.

4. T_om

T_om

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A IEEE 1394 link is the answer, i have no problem transfering footage into movie maker on win XP and burning to C.D Simple and Straightforward.

5. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm glad to see that some people can get this working. I too am having problems stuff from my NVGS11EB through firewire and was wondering if the firewire card and cable I bought from Novatech for about £20 may have been the cause.

Is there a min spec of PC that you need to be able to get it working. I currently have a AMD 1100 Duron, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb disk (with loads freed up!), 128Mb nVidia MX440-SE graphics card, Windows XP Pro SP2.

Do I need to update any software, drivers et al. The mobo I have will handle up to an XP2600 working on a 266Mhz core, and have been considering for a while about upgrading it with something more beefy as the wife also uses it for her business!

Any advice would be welcome. I believe that the firewire technology does give you the best quality downloads from your camcorder, but to me, is a pig getting it working!!

Thanks

ScrozUK