1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems installing windows 98?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by danny-p, Feb 15, 2004.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Ive just wiped my p3 700mhz pc hardrive and started a new.
    I put the startup floppy in and wiped all partitions, then re-created one as a primary only then i formatted my 80gig hdd which has all gone smoothly.
    But now after all hdd is re formatted i'm left with an A:\> prompt.
    Whenever i change it to d: and type "install" or "setup" with the win98 set up cdrom in my drive the following message keeps coming up and i,m totally stuck?
    "not ready reading drive E
    abort retry or fail?

Any ideas as what i need to do to re-install my windows 98 as i'm totally stuck?

Many thanks

Danny-p

2. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hi
    C: should be your harddrive A: floppy and you should get the letter of your CDROM as you boot from your floppy. Its been a while since i installed win98 but i think its E: make sure the driver for your CDROM is loading from the floppy.

so if your CDROM is on drive E: change to that drive and try and install/setup or type dir to see a list of files on CD.

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply....
    I tried E: a few times and it was actuall F: somehow, so all is running ok now.
    Thanks anyway.

Danny-p