1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems hooking up, no sound, and b& W picture.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pjwraith, Aug 22, 2005.

1. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be an easy setup, but I cant get it to work. :(

Amp is Pioneer 1014S connected to Monitor audio 5.1 setup. RS1, RS6, Radius 360 SW, Radius 225 centre

Source 1 Yamada 6700 DVD - svideo and digital coax outputs used to connect to the DVD connections on the amp.
    Source 2 NTL cable TV box - scart to svideo and LR phonos output used to tv/sat connections on the amp.

Screen PW7 only connection is scart.

I have setup the speakers, MCACC has run ok and all speakers are outputting test tones no problem.

I have been in to the DVD player setup and set sound to output digital, pcm 96khz. There does not appear to be any video output setup as such to choose svideo out. I have allocated the coaxial digital input to the dvd choice on the amp.

When I switch to the dvd on the amp I get no sound and a black and white picture, and yet I cant see where I am going wrong??? :lease:

When I switch to the TV/sat out out on the amp I dont get anything at all, no sound no picture ! :eek:

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for your help.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    pjwraith

Where to start :)

NTL - its very unlikely your NTL box actual outputs an S-Video signal - the SCART to S-Video cable only works if the source is Outputting S-Video on SCART (most don't).

You have Two options - Composite which will look very poor or RGB. You can achieve RGB using a direct SCART to SCART cable to the SCART Input on the Display.

If you want to use the video switching the of AV Receiver you will have to look at converting the SCART RGB sources to S-Video, YUV or RGBHV. JS-Technology supply a range of suitable converters.

AV Receiver to Display - how do you have these linked?

Joe

3. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just beginning to realise that the NTL box problem is as you describe. I assumed the cable did the conversion (noob alert).

I had been planning to use the amp/receiver for video and sound switching, so I have svideo to scart running to the plasma. Obviously this isnt going to work now :( I only have one scart and a dsub input on the panel.

It seems I should be looking at a scart conversion box as you suggest, I know a local hifi store has a vivanco one with remote. I could simply retain the scart (RGB) connections and run a scart direct to the panel and split off the sound for NTL (scart boxes normally have seperate phono out I believe), sound from DVD will be digital to the amp (if I ever get it working).

I wish I had known this earlier before laying out for all these cables which are now redundant ! :oops:

Thanks for the reply

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    pjwraith

If your DVD player has an RGB enabled SCART Output socket your best option will be as follows:

DVD SCART RGB > NTL SCART RGB In > NTL SCART RGB Out > Plasma RGB In - I've assumed your NTL has Two SCART sockets.

You need to set the DVD and NTL and Display to RGB and whilst your now bypassing the AV Receiver (for Video duties) you are ensuring you get the optimal image quality from your two source devices.

When you want to view the DVD player put the NTL in Standby.

Best regards

Joe

5. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your post. :)

Altho the ntl box has 2 scarts they are both scart out as far as I know? One is labelled up for TV, the other for VCR but neither infer scart in as well....

I would have to use the second scart out to break the audio out I guess to the amp, the main scart out will carry the video. End result is I run out of conenctions somewhere....I cannot see any way out of spending more to get a scart box now. :eek: