Problems getting 4K upscaling to work

Hello! I've tried searching for this problem everywhere, and I can't seem to find anyone asking something similar. There are also a massive amount of false positive search results involving 4K upscaling in general. I'm hoping someone has some general ideas of what to try, or if this sounds like I should have the receiver looked at. I've searched here, other home theater forums, reddit, and google in general, and haven't found anyone else asking about this issue. I'm not sure if this is a receiver issue or if user error is involved. I'm only just now in the process of moving toward 4K and understanding it, so the latter is quite possible.

I'm trying to get 4K upscaling to work between my Pioneer SC-LX59 receiver and BenQ w2700 (HT3550) projector. I've followed all the steps decscribed in the receiver's manual and also double checked everything mentioned in the troubleshooting (basically the multizone features must be disabled, which they are).

All my HDMI cables are high speed, and I've verified that I am 4K capable since I can get a 4K signal from the receiver to the projector with my Android TV box as a source. I verified this on the BenQ's onscreen menu, so 4K is definitely capable of going through the whole way. But when I set that same Android TV box's resolution to 1080p and enable 4K upscaling on the receiver, I get no signal to the projector. Same result when I try to enable upscaling from 1080p with my laptop, Blu-ray player, and PS3. I've also swapped cables around to make sure they weren't the problem, and I got the same results in each combination. Also tried both 1080p60 and 1080p24 output from both the Android TV box and the the laptop, no effect.

I get a brief green horizontal bar across the lower third of the screen when I enable 4K 24p upscaling from a 1080p24 signal. It lasts less than one second, then there's no signal. Otherwise, no signal is reaching the proejctor unless I disable upscaling on the receiver, then it outputs fine at the same resolution coming from the source.

I've tried everything I can think of barring a factory reset on the receiver.

The receiver manual does mention some signals cannot be upscaled due to copyright signals--but would the copyright signal be present on each of my sources when nothing copyrighted is being played?

Any ideas as to what I can try?

D

Deleted member 39241

I would try a premium certified cable just to be sure that isn't the issue. No need to spend a fortune, something like this maybe:

Amazon product

Have you enabled 4K output on the HDMI sockets?

dante01

Distinguished Member
How long is the HDMI cable from the AV receiver to your PJ?

It is ordinarilly recommended not to use conventional HDMI cables longer than 8m and preferably less than 6m. If the cable is longer than this then it will be more prone to dropouts, especially in association with the higher bandwidth signal associated with 4K UHD video.

There should be no issue with copyright as long as all the devices in the HDMI chain are HDCP 2.2 or 2.3 compliant. If the source was outrputting 1080p encoded content then this conent wouldn't include HDCP 2.2 protection anyway. Only natively encoded commercial video uses HDCP 2.2 or higher digital copyright protection.

For longer HDMI cable runs where wanting to convey 4K video then it is often suggested that hybrid HDMI over fibre be used as opposed to conventional copper HDMI cabling. There are also other active cable options and or repeaters that can help convey signals over longer than ideal distances.

Also note that cables categorised as being PREMIUM are no more capable than those rated HIGH SPEED. They are both manufactured in accordance with the exact same specifications.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

I'm using 3m HDMI cables from the sources to the receiver, and a 5m cable from the projector to the receiver.

I'm getting a 4K image successfully from the Android TV box (MXQ Pro). I can play 4K video files on it, and I can see the difference when I play 1080p encodes of the same videos. The projector status display verifies the source is 4K as well. That's the only device I have that's capable of 4K output, and it works. So it shouldn't be the cables.

The issue is that the blu-ray player, PS3, and laptop--and even the MXQ Pro when I change the resolution to 1080p--are not being upscaled by the receiver.

I did check the receiver's manual about enabling 4K output--this is how I got the MXQ Pro's 4K to work. But the lack of upscaling on the other sources persists. Even when I swap devices out to use the same cables and run it into the same HDMI input.

Is 4K upscaling from a 1080p worth further troubleshooting? The picture still looks great, I'm beginning to think I might as well let this one go until I can upgrade to a 4K capable PC. But for completions sake, I'd like to figure out what's going on if I can.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm using 3m HDMI cables from the sources to the receiver, and a 5m cable from the projector to the receiver.

I'm getting a 4K image successfully from the Android TV box (MXQ Pro). I can play 4K video files on it, and I can see the difference when I play 1080p encodes of the same videos. The projector status display verifies the source is 4K as well. That's the only device I have that's capable of 4K output, and it works. So it shouldn't be the cables.

The issue is that the blu-ray player, PS3, and laptop--and even the MXQ Pro when I change the resolution to 1080p--are not being upscaled by the receiver.

I did check the receiver's manual about enabling 4K output--this is how I got the MXQ Pro's 4K to work. But the lack of upscaling on the other sources persists. Even when I swap devices out to use the same cables and run it into the same HDMI input.

Is 4K upscaling from a 1080p worth further troubleshooting? The picture still looks great, I'm beginning to think I might as well let this one go until I can upgrade to a 4K capable PC. But for completions sake, I'd like to figure out what's going on if I can.

Why are you wanting the receiver to do the upscaling? If you have a 4K projector, it will be upscaling to 4K anyway.

Why are you wanting the receiver to do the upscaling? If you have a 4K projector, it will be upscaling to 4K anyway.

This is a good point. Wouldn't the receiver do a better job of it? If it's not going to make any noticeable difference anyway, maybe it isn't worth troubleshooting further.

This is a good point. Wouldn't the receiver do a better job of it? If it's not going to make any noticeable difference anyway, maybe it isn't worth troubleshooting further.

No, highly unlikely that it would be better. Leave it to the PJ.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I had total failure with a 6m premium certified cable and very poor performance with a 5m premium certified cable (and it was too short). I eventually went for a RuiPro 7.5m hybrid fibre channel HDMI cable, which works fine. If you absolutely must use the receiver to upscale what the projector likely does much better, I suggest getting a hybrid fibre channel HDMI cable

Bill Shenefelt

Novice Member
My Sony Projector upscales fantastically. A DVD even sha a great picture. Only problme is you do not get HDR on a DVD. Thing is there are a lot of older DVD's you might want to look real good rather than buy duplicates in 4K even if available.

gibbsy

Leave the upscaling to the PJ. AV amps seem to makes a right pig's ear of it and I cannot fathom why the need to put, or rather waste, resources that are generally inferior to any TV or PJ. AV amps should do what they are designed to do. Audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom