Problems copying Video8 to DVDRAM on my E50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cool As Blu, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought an E50. Have connected my camcorder (Video8) via the phono sockets on AV3 and recorded to DVDRAM. After the 90mins is up, I then checked to see if everything was ok.

1st time - DVD error - need to RECOVER - UNFORMATTED DVD. I had formatted the dvd before recording. It was a Panasonic DVDRAM which came in the box.

2nd time - REFORMATTED just to make sure. Seemed to record OK. After about 30min, the picture became heavily corrupted with pixels and distortion.

Disc looks clean.

I was using standard settings i.e. 2hrs per DVD.

Any ideas ? Should I return it ?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Try using the front AV sockets and see if the same happens. I found the AV3 video socket (S-Video was fine) to be a bit unreliable on my HS2 so it could be the same on the E50. Ensure you always use good quality cables as well - for best results a phone/video to Scart option into AV2. I would also suggest experimenting with the disk with normal TV recording to ensure that isn't the problem.

3. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was using the front panel. Will check with disk.

4. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Returned the unit back to Comet. Now looking for better unit. ANy suggestions ? Max Budget £500. WOuld like it look nice too!

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The JVC DMR1 and Toshiba DR1 are both good budget choices although both are £50 more than the E50 and lack RGB in (which isn't an issue for copying camcorder tapes over). They are both multi-format machines though (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R). Out of the two the JVC is the better recording model IMHO although the Toshiba has somewhat better PQ for playing back DVDs.