Problems copying Video8 to DVDRAM on my E50

Cool As Blu

Standard Member
Just bought an E50. Have connected my camcorder (Video8) via the phono sockets on AV3 and recorded to DVDRAM. After the 90mins is up, I then checked to see if everything was ok.

1st time - DVD error - need to RECOVER - UNFORMATTED DVD. I had formatted the dvd before recording. It was a Panasonic DVDRAM which came in the box.

2nd time - REFORMATTED just to make sure. Seemed to record OK. After about 30min, the picture became heavily corrupted with pixels and distortion.

Disc looks clean.

I was using standard settings i.e. 2hrs per DVD.

Any ideas ? Should I return it ?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Try using the front AV sockets and see if the same happens. I found the AV3 video socket (S-Video was fine) to be a bit unreliable on my HS2 so it could be the same on the E50. Ensure you always use good quality cables as well - for best results a phone/video to Scart option into AV2. I would also suggest experimenting with the disk with normal TV recording to ensure that isn't the problem.

Cool As Blu

Standard Member
Was using the front panel. Will check with disk.

Cool As Blu

Standard Member
Returned the unit back to Comet. Now looking for better unit. ANy suggestions ? Max Budget £500. WOuld like it look nice too!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
The JVC DMR1 and Toshiba DR1 are both good budget choices although both are £50 more than the E50 and lack RGB in (which isn't an issue for copying camcorder tapes over). They are both multi-format machines though (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R). Out of the two the JVC is the better recording model IMHO although the Toshiba has somewhat better PQ for playing back DVDs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom